To repair or not repair a Skyview touch Screen

Hi

All

I have a 2015 10inch Dynon Skyview Touch screen that recently started exhibiting the “rainbow of death” with a convoluted and slow boot times. This is a known problem with Skyview and requires the unit to be returned to Dynon for repair at a fixed cost of $650US plus shipping one way. The unit is then re-warranted for 1 year.

I took the opportunity to upgrade to an HDX, so my dilemma with the old screen is whether I get it repaired and then sell it.

I am unsure of the demand for such a screen in Oz, although I notice in USA there is a demand for backup and 2nd screens.

Any comments?

Franky

Question is "What do the SV-D1000Ts sell for?" and last I looked it seems to be around the $2,500-3000AUD mark. So you can either write it off, or spend a grand getting it repaired to make the extra $1,500-2000.

I'd have it repaired. Personally, I prefer the Classic over the HDX with the engine band along the bottom. Dunno why... Just what I'm used to I guess.

Thanks

KR

I am leaning toward getting it repaired also.

I am not sure with the HDX whether I like the engine bottom band or not.

I have defined a bottom band and a 50% engine screen and may elect to use the 50% page and have no bottom band.

I will try both when I get into the air

Franky

I sent an MGL efis to South Africa for repairs a while ago. When I received it back customs deemed it to now be worth same as new 1 and I had to pay high fees on so called import and duties and gst. I would make enquiries on this and see what they will charge you first.

There are no import duties on aircraft or parts - but GST is payable upon any importation of new items.

However, as you previously owned the EFIS, and only sent it overseas for repair, you have a good case to argue that you owe Customs nothing. 

https://www.abf.gov.au/trade-and-goods-compliance-subsite/files/fact-sheets/item-34-fs.pdf

• Agree 1