Speeds below 1000 feet in Sydney

A couple of days back I was watching a plane taking off/flying over me.

Gee, that looks fast.

Open the app and look.

Philippine airlines.   BELOW 10,000.   266 knots!  And getting faster.

I think it was about 5,000 when I saw it.  But can't be sure.

It WAS below 10,00 as I was in FIVEDOCK (Sydney) and if it was above 10,000 by there, it's VSI would have to be off the charts.

YSSY - "Fivedock"   Not very far.   I'll say less than 15 miles as the crow flies.

It had just taken off - or was doing a very weird "fly by" to YSSY.

So I don't get what you mean.

And - yeah - I can only relay what the app said.   But it was scooting along and I know that they don't usually go that fast over where I was.    Which is why I noticed it.

You keep quieter for the city dwellers  by initially climbing to the east of the southern runway  centrelines. (Over the water). Also if turbulence is experienced or forecast. your safe climb speed  is more important than the noise abatement "speed / height" procedures. That doesn't mean you just throw them away and do what you please. Most pilots just want to expedite their departure with safety the prime consideration just below keeping out of the Newspaper Headlines.  Nev

You can, and crews often do, "request high-speed climb", and for a lot of heavy-weight airliners, minimum clean speed can be above that magic 250KIAS. And remember, we all fly by IAS, but ADS-B is GPS-derived GS, so in this example, with a bit of windshear giving a now-decent tailwind, he may have been indicating 250knots, but booking along closer to 300 or more.

• Informative 1