Anyone know this a/c VELOCITY STD/RG

Guest extralite

Guest extralite

Looks great to me. Fast, 4 seats, not that expensive (comparitive). I could not find any in australia, but seem popular enough in the USA. I also tried to see what sort of safety record it has, but not too much info either.

Does anyone know anything about them first hand?

There is one in Serpentine WA, was Franklin powered but I think it may have been re-engined to a Lyc. recently.

They are by all accounts a very capable cross country machine, not sure of the numbers on them, but your probably up to speed on that by the sound of it. There big claim as you no doubt spotted is range, speed and cockpit comfort.

Lots of web material available: www.canardzone.com www.ez.org.com www.ez.org/resource.htm

That should get you started if you haven't found them already, and these will lead to other sites.

I recall a lovely US story of a chap buying a 50 hour old RG for $50,000 US it had a new engine and about $40,000 IFR panel. Also had a bit of damage about 100 man hours to repair, picked it up from an inside contact in the insurance company who had paid out the original owner/builder.

As far as I know (which is not very far) they have a very good safety record, some of their pilots might be wanting though.

In addition to the 1 Velocity in Oz (that I know of) there is also at least 1 Cozy (probably more) 2 Rutan Defiants (Twin) and about 20 Long ez's and 11 Vari-eze's, and 1 Berkut (Vari-eze EZP is mine) all part of the canard family.

Like all canards they love the runway and generally prefer it made of bitumen.

Hope this helps, PM me if you want more details on the OZ one.

M

Guest brentc

There's a guy in Sale (Victoria) building one. No idea how far he has got but it has to be 5 years I'd say. If you want to be put in contact with him, please let me know.

Guest extralite

Thanks so much for the info. I need a 4 seater that "looks safe" (from the point of view of a non flying spouse) and like the speed and range of the Velocity, and it seems much less expensive than the RV10. Is there a downside that explains why there arent more in australia?

Down side is they aren't really designed for other than bitumen runways, or at least a very smooth gravel free (ie. clay) runway. This being due to the prop at the back and the risk of stones being flicked up of the wheels.

Probably, and only a personal opinion, the reason the whole canard thing really never took off in Oz was two fold. Many didn't understand the benefits of GRP composite structures, (many still don't) and that includes working with messy glass and resin as opposed to aluminum.

Secondly they look different and this goes against the grain of what is largely a fairly conservative aviation scene in Australia.

Once a design becomes popular locally they seem to do well, as others get some comfort in knowing there are many who have tried and tested the design, eg. Jabiru's and RV's.

Regards

M

• 7 months later...

Velocity Rocks

Have only heard good things about this aircraft although the XL is more becoming popular (both looks and cabin size). They do like a hard surface but it appears to be their only vice. As for RG vs FG the speeds are so similar it would pay to stick with FG. (unless you get a bargain on an RG).

A senior aircraft technician friend and fellow pilot (a meticulous and thorough man) researched all the ‘kit’ planes and felt this one came out tops. He flies in the USA, which has a lot of decent runways. A close contender was the Aerocomp6 http://www.aerocompinc.com/ really rugged but a BIG aircraft. There are relatively inexpensive engines for them I can’t remember the link but will be able to dig it up if you need it.

My two cents worth.

Ciao

I had a good look at a homebuilt Velocity at Airventure. It had a very complete and discriptive builders log and photo album. Some areas are pretty labour intensive. but lots of cabin room for 4 people. But not the aircraft to have to put down in a paddock good runways are a must. (and we seem to be running out of these). The finish and performance is very much up to the builders skills in working with composite materials.The "rocket racer" version was very impressive.

Ozzie

SAAA

The members of SAAA seem to where most canard people congregate from my experience Victorian chapters for sure Moorabbin and Queens Pde Clifton Hill. One Cozy is I think is being built the rest Long eze's. These guys are builders though although Andy at Moorabbin chapter bought in a partial built.

I love the things being my first flight experience of (ultralight) aircraft 20 yrs ago at Mangalore in Phil Heffernans VARI EZE.

Got to love the economy and speed ratio and yes they look different therefore unique therefore why not!

At Oshkosh I saw over 400 canards and the 4 seat versions are getting very popular including the Cozy and Velocity. Main issues already mentioned in this forum, they really need bitumen although the odd ezes have landed on grass at Lethbridge now and then for lunch and Melton. Off strip landings may be an issue but there are so many bitumen strips in the US I am sure that is why they are common there. Flying in Australia made me move away from a canard to an RV because I want to travel outback Australia, use grass strips and occaisionally short strips which canards need quite long runways.

Velocity's have Many positives as well but the best is they look cool.

Safety wise not heard much untoward as they dont want to stall and washboard along. The Velocity has come a long way from the vari-eze and I take it your not a country and western singer wanting to fly at 300' whilst reaching for an ill placed fuel lever?

Repair wise finding LAMES to work on glass can be difficult I know Camden has a good one and Moorabbin too.

Good luck.