Savannah VG Build - Air Outlet question

kbstone

I've started going through each chapter and verifying the work completed thus far on the kit I recently purchased.  My kit S/N is 02-10-51-173 so it's over 20 years old and I expect to need some parts that I'm probably missing.  The "Air Outlet" on top of the fuselage behind the cabin is a round hole instead of a square.  I have the part (sitting behind the hole in the picture) but I'm wondering if my top skin is for the parachute (which I don't have).  I'll fabricate a cover and mount the air outlet part I have but I wanted to see if the group could provide any insight as to why this hole is round and not square.

Thanks!

image.thumb.jpeg.c762685e60fda20d808a23fb3d0af359.jpeg

I don't know kbstone.
What the kits have now is a round pattern of drilled holes in the top skin, that fit under the cover you have there.
I would add a skin over that big hole, with a circular pattern of round holes, then mount your cover over that.

We put the cover on late, as we like to apply silicone between skin and cover, also a lip of silicone round the holes to keep out rain both in the air and on the ground.

DSCF0900.JPG

• Like 1

FWIW kbstone, my kit came with the skin holes and blowout panels for a parachute setup.

Since I have no parachute, rather than mess around with those panels (which go under the skin), I just blanked the holes off with a simple capping panel.
This I made with an offcut from the kit, specifically the cut out piece in the lower wing skins where the tanks go in.

If someone wants to fit a parachute in future, that is simple enough. In the meantime it is a tidy and weatherproof solution in a place nobody ever looks anyway.

Edited by IBob
  • Like 2