ADSB - Confusion

11 minutes ago, BirdDog said:

Yep!  It's the Experimental version of the Garmin systems, so it does not put out what they want, and I don't think it is even an option without the certified GPS attached.

It will display what ATC need, if it's configured correctly. If you have the GPS-20A as your selected position source, then (from what I can see in the G3X manual), that should be all you need. If you're not using a GPS-20A, then that'd be why it's not showing up in TAAATS. But as I keep saying, for E-AB or RAAus, you do not have to have a TSO'd, "Certified" or anything special type of GPS to run ADS-B (including being visible to ATC) if your GNSS position source meets the relevant standards and has a statement from the manufacturer saying that.

Both Garmin (GPS-20A) and Dynon (SV-GPS-2020) have that. Does the GPS-20A need to be directly connected to the transponder vs the GDU? There's something going on that isn't right, because if you have a G3X with a GPS-20A telling the system where it is, it should be outputting ADS-B with sufficient integrity for ATC to see you - whether or not it's an Experimental unit.

As far as I am aware SIL2 is the minimum required for ATC; as long as a unique ICAO HEX code has been issued and loaded into ADSB TX or EC device the ship data will display for ATC. Could be totally wrong on this though..

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BirdDog said:

Garmin - Part of the complete G3X Touch Systems.  It is EXPERIMENTAL and so does not put out SIL 3 as they want.

As somebody else mentioned earlier you need a Garmin GPS20A (about $1600?) as well for your position source.  Worldwide they will not accept the G3X inbuilt GPS. This has been the same since the G3X was introduced so should have been known to your avionics installer.

Edited by BurnieM
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, BirdDog said:

My system does not have the GPS 20A and that is the problem.  

So the issue is not that you have an Experimental G3X, the problem is that you don't have an approved (note: NOT "certified" - approved) GNSS position source, and because you don't have that, your system is working exactly as it should.

Add the GPS20A and you will get SIL3 and your ADS-B position won't be automatically squelched by TAAATS and you will become visible to ATC. And it'll do it far cheaper than having to stump up the $$$ for almost any other 'certified' navigator.

19 hours ago, BurnieM said:

As somebody else mentioned earlier you need a Garmin GPS20A (about $1600?) as well for your position source.  Worldwide they will not accept the G3X inbuilt GPS. This has been the same since the G3X was introduced so should have been known to your avionics installer.

Yep!  Exactly!  Factory built by BRM too - which is disappointing.  😞

That said, I am not overly concerned.  I don't fly into Sydney etc, and the likes of Canberra and other smaller controlled ADs, don't require it.  Everyone else can see me, so that will do.  🙂

2 hours ago, KRviator said:

So the issue is not that you have an Experimental G3X, the problem is that you don't have an approved (note: NOT "certified" - approved) GNSS position source, and because you don't have that, your system is working exactly as it should.

Add the GPS20A and you will get SIL3 and your ADS-B position won't be automatically squelched by TAAATS and you will become visible to ATC. And it'll do it far cheaper than having to stump up the $$$ for almost any other 'certified' navigator.

Note the G3X Touch isn't actually doing anything except acting as a control and display device for the remote ADS-B transponder (either a GTX45R, GTX335 or maybe a GTX345), all connected by the wonders of Canbus. I believe you can get the GTX335 and GTX345 with or without a WAAS GPS built-in.