Hose Fitting

While I am fanatical about using the correct size (ID) of hose relative to its spigot (OD) I recognise that sometimes a smaller ID hose may do the job just as well.

(NOTE: I said smaller ID - never use a larger ID hose, it is almost guaranteed to leak and be insecure on the spigot/barb)

EG Rotax specify that 17mm ID coolant hose. A little over 2m in length is required for most 912 engines. 17mm ID is awfully hard to come by, unless you purchase from Rotax, at an exorbitant cost.

The well known/respected brand Gates, only do 17 mm in some preformed/shaped hoses - you would have to purchase several to achieve the 2m + required a potentially  a costly exercise.

Gates do supply silicone coolant hose  in ID 5/8" (15.875mm). 

I am under the impression that silicon hose is considerably more flexible (stretchy) than the usual "rubber" hose.

My questions are;

• Will the Gates silicon 5/8" hose fit, without damage,  on to a 17mm OD spigot/barb?
  • Are there other factors that I should consider?

Update: It seems that Mackay (Australian manufacturer of automotive hoses, amongst other things) make a wide range of 17 mm ID molded hoses - the above question is now moot  but I would would still be intersted in the experience of anyone fitting silicone hose to a larger OD spigot.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, skippydiesel said:

Does the lack of response mean that no one has tried using silicone coolant hose ????

I have 25mm silicone hose; only use 4 ply.  No issue with it last 2 years.

50 minutes ago, Blueadventures said:

I have 25mm silicone hose; only use 4 ply.  No issue with it last 2 years.

Thanks Blue - my question is not about using silicon hose as such  but about using 5/8" (16mm) ID hose pushed onto 17mm OD spigot/barb. (I assume your 25mm ID is going on to 25mm OD spigot).

From earlier post:

My questions are;

• Will the Gates silicon 5/8" hose fit, without damage,  on to a 17mm OD spigot/barb?
  • Are there other factors that I should consider?

The reason for my question is the lack of straight (as in not shape molded) 17 mm ID coolant hose, on the open market - You can purchase it from RoTAX at an exorbitant price.

I posted a few times that Flylight in Uk sell 17mm I.D. Silicone  4 ply hose full set including clamps for 912 and 2 meters hose and a 90 degree about 80£

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

29 minutes ago, Blueadventures said:

I posted a few times that Flylight in Uk sell 17mm I.D. Silicone  4 ply hose full set including clamps for 912 and 2 meters hose and a 90 degree about 80£

Well there you go - must of missed that. Will get a price and compare with RoTax AU supplied 17mm ID coolant hose. Thanks

Found it! https://www.shop.flylight.co.uk/engine-service-parts-72-c.asp

Straight  17 mm ID silicone hose $28.50 per M (will need 3M)

90 Elbow 17 mm ID silicone hose $23.75 each (will need one on standard configuration)

• Subtotal $109.25

Above as a kit is now $151.98 but includes hose clamps which can be purchased locally (ie a saving)

Then the cruncher DELIVERY ?? - in common with the USA, Pommy delivery is almost exclusively courier and very costly?

(RoTAX Au starting to look like it may be competitive - will get a price during the week)

To the best of my understanding, the current price per meter from Floods:

Coolant Hose Part No 922250:  $0.78/cm + GST + $85.80/m ( you will need over 2m depending on installation)

Formed 90 degree hose Part No 9222192:  $47.33 +GST = $52.063 (one of)

Oil Hose  Part No 956394: $1.02/cm + GST = $112.2 / m (you will probably need about 3m depending on installation)

So around the $560-$600 + delivery

• Informative 1

Posted (edited)

I was particularly interested in the 17mm.  So you are saying it will be about $160 from the rotax supplier? You know I'm on board with getting equivalent quality from other suppliers if it's cheaper (and easier) but this hose in particular doesn't look to be much of a savings? Mind you , I've only emailed the local rotax once and didn't get a response. Almost as important as price is ease of purchase for me. It's the 21st century- if I can't just click on something and put it in a cart and buy it, that supplier goes down the list. It's why I buy so much from Aircraft Spruce. I guess if the 17mm hose is about the same price I'd still buy it from someone that I don't have to ring.

GIVE ME CONVENIENCE OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!

Edited by danny_galaga

Posted (edited)

Hi Danny - I hear you

Note that the coolant (17mm ID) from Floods is 85.80/m + delivery.

Gates Silicone (16mm ID) $16 -$28.50/m + delivery from UK or Australia about $38/m + delivery (some are offering free)

Then there is all that good stuff from Mackay ( should be cheaper again).

Personally, if I can shave $500 or so off an estimated  $1,500+ (from RoTAX)  5 year rubber replacement, using good quality materials, I will be very happy.

Convenience can come at quite a cost - as always your choice😈

Edited by skippydiesel

29 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Hi Danny - I hear you

Note that the coolant (17mm ID) from Floods is 85.80/m + delivery.

Gates Silicone (16mm ID) $16 -$28.50/m + delivery from UK or Australia about $38/m + delivery (some are offering free)

Then there is all that good stuff from Mackay ( should be cheaper again).

Personally, if I can shave $500 or so off an estimated  $1,500+ (from RoTAX)  5 year rubber replacement, using good quality materials, I will be very happy.

Convenience can come at quite a cost - as always your choice😈

Oh, what I'm saying is our local lad is NOT convenient! So now I see some prices, Gates is cheaper and probably more convenient! I already use Gates rubber on the radiator hoses. That was an issue with the kit (they supply 27mm!). Although I got the different bends etc from various suppliers. Again, if I  can avoid calling someone on the phone, the guy with the shopping cart on their website gets the sale.

"That was an issue with the kit (they supply 27mm!)"

Kit????  27MM ID????

Gates Au will supply:

- a molded 90 degree  bend, in diffrent "Arm"  length options

• PN 03-0010 ID 25.4mm, Arm 1 125mm, Arm 2 125mm  ($10-12)
  • PN 03-0011 ID 25.4mm, Arm 1 300mm,  Arm 2 300mm ($15-37)

Multi Fit Coolant Hose with two bends, a 135 & 90 degree

• PN01-007 ID 25mm Length 550 ($?)

Then there is 25 mm connectors

• Straight PN28606 ($20)
  • Elbow PN28626 ($19)
  • Tee PN28638 ($51)

Unfortunatly the above connector must be purchased in a minimum of 2/bag

From "Started a Spare Parts List" - I have used the above - nice fit on the Rotax radiator spigots (25mm). You will almost certainly have to use a connector, the Gates ones are a very secure fit.

Yep. And the other Bushcat builders were saying just do the clamps up tighter 😄

I used 03-0010 and 03-0007 universal and 2 X  02-0951 Datsun 120y. Connectors came with the kit (25mm!)