Jabiru 230 and Short Field ?

Adrian Lewer

nope i figure i can get it in... i will get a hook they use on a/c carriers and use 100 mile hour tape and catch the fence on the way in... 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

yep i know i might have to re think the fields i wish to visit 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

will not even attempt to get a jab in there.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on the airstrip surface and if there are any obstacles i would be happy to land a J-160 on a 400m strip and have room to spare. Although i think the J-230 would have more get up and go and also can carry more luggage. However i have flown the J-160 at 55kts for a shortfield landing and have no complaints about its handling at that speed. Both are good. And the 430 can be even nicer for a VH pilot :)

105m strip you may want a 30kt headwind though haha.

Its been "real world tested" by members of forum and they reckon its very good

They took a number of 430's (like 5 or 6) out to a field, did take offs, measured distances with wheel and tallied up data vs weighed MTOW

Takes into account Pressure altitude and wind

I thought it looked OK.... if you had a 230/430

Agreed, I remember reading the thread where they collected the data and debated the methodology to be followed - from what I could see they were pretty meticulous about it. I suspect the blurb in red about not to be used for calculating t/o distance was merely an attempt to cover themselves legally.

• 4 months later...

You might consider a Jab 250, there is one in Tasmania coming up for sale shortly I believe. They have 120sq ft of wing so stall is a couple of knots slower. More to the point the ailerons are better (they area bit bigger and wing has a cusp) than J230/J200 so 55 knot approaches are a real possibility. I think you should spring for better brakes and bigger wheels/tyres (Matco?) if you are serious about going into tight strips.

Hi Adrian - the J230 is most certainly not a short field performer by any means. Don't consider a strip shorter than 500m. I fly mine down the approach at 55-58KIAS - any faster and you'll drift down the runway for ages. Dut to the geography of our local strips, including mine, I,ve bought an Evektor Sportstar which is great. A Foxbat would have been my other choice. Short field performance and cruise performance are inversely related - depends where you want to compromise! Captain - I'd say 500m unless you are a complete adrenalin junkie with unlimited money!

Cheers