I just had to say it...

i would say "B" is correct although "C" sounds good. but having said that if i buy the aircraft i want (x-air hanuman) which is 281KG plus 80 litres fuel @.70KG per litre which is 56KG we are at 337KG + me @ 65KG 402KG and pax @ 80KG which is 482KG.... MTOW in the X-Air is 544KG...

in this case take off run is 70 metres for the X-Air Hanuman at MTOW at sea level 15DEG yada yada yada..... so would i be correct in saying my take off run would go to about 80-90 metres ? just a well educated guess.... or would it stay the same considering the actual takeoff weight is well below the MTOW ?...

i can not remember where i read it but i remembered the saying...

Low pressures and high temperatures will cause a decrease in airframe and engine performance....(i got no idea what this pressure stuff is but will learn one day) think it might have been said in the BAK..... i remembered this as my Model aircraft engines when tuned on a standard day will preform better on a cold day (better air density easy to breath) than on a hot day (worse air harder to breath)...

will these things like density altitude really effect an aircraft of this nature..... to an extent of actualy worrying about.....(not trying to ignore the situation but trying to get to grips of what i will actualy use in practice) :rotary: i like this emoticon 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif just had to say it...

Guest pelorus32
i would say "B" is correct although "C" sounds good. but having said that if i buy the aircraft i want (x-air hanuman) which is 281KG plus 80 litres fuel @.70KG per litre which is 56KG we are at 337KG + me @ 65KG 402KG and pax @ 80KG which is 482KG.... MTOW in the X-Air is 544KG...in this case take off run is 70 metres for the X-Air Hanuman at MTOW at sea level 15DEG yada yada yada..... so would i be correct in saying my take off run would go to about 80-90 metres ? just a well educated guess.... or would it stay the same considering the actual takeoff weight is well below the MTOW ?...

i can not remember where i read it but i remembered the saying...

Low pressures and high temperatures will cause a decrease in airframe and engine performance....(i got no idea what this pressure stuff is but will learn one day) think it might have been said in the BAK..... i remembered this as my Model aircraft engines when tuned on a standard day will preform better on a cold day (better air density easy to breath) than on a hot day (worse air harder to breath)...

will these things like density altitude really effect an aircraft of this nature..... to an extent of actualy worrying about.....(not trying to ignore the situation but trying to get to grips of what i will actualy use in practice) :rotary: i like this emoticon 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif just had to say it...

The implications are much greater than that. You need to go to the POH to find out for your a/c. Here is an example however in the attached file which shows how ugly it is.

Regards

Mike

TAKE.doc

TAKE.doc

TAKE.doc

WOW... thats unbelievable. is this due to engine performance,airframe performance or a combination of both.... i will say both but could be wrong... the first column is clean run and the second column is with 50FT obstical is this correct...

i might print this usefull piece of information off and keep with my pile of "usefull info" i have..

i intend to make a little A5 sized book about the same size as the ERSA with a heap of info to use whilst i am flying. either on local or Xcountry. will come in handy oneday i guess when i visit an airstrip i am unfamiliar with.

some of the stuff i have in my book is a quick reference quick step guide as to how to use a whizz wheel ect, things you will need to know in flight but might forget or just need a quick reffrence to...

does anyone else do this.......

after i have it somewhat completed (will never be completed as i always learn somthing new) i might post here for every one to look at.

Guest pelorus32
WOW... thats unbelievable. is this due to engine performance,airframe performance or a combination of both.... i will say both but could be wrong... the first column is clean run and the second column is with 50FT obstical is this correct...i might print this usefull piece of information off and keep with my pile of "usefull info" i have..

i intend to make a little A5 sized book about the same size as the ERSA with a heap of info to use whilst i am flying. either on local or Xcountry. will come in handy oneday i guess when i visit an airstrip i am unfamiliar with.

some of the stuff i have in my book is a quick reference quick step guide as to how to use a whizz wheel ect, things you will need to know in flight but might forget or just need a quick reffrence to...

does anyone else do this.......

after i have it somewhat completed (will never be completed as i always learn somthing new) i might post here for every one to look at.

Hi Ferret,

PLEASE: The table I posted is an EXAMPLE only. You MUST use the info for your specific aircraft from the POH. DO NOT use my example in any practical situation. It is drawn from a specific aircraft that you are not likely to fly anytime soon. I used it as an example nothing more.

Regards

Mike

Pilots operating handbook.

Remember if the air density is low your aircraft will take longer to take off and won't climb well. That means if it is hot, if the elevation is high, if it is humid and so on. So if any of these things are present it might start ringing alarm bells in your head and make you think you should do a take off and landing calculation for your aircraft for that field on that day. If doing preliminary planning you could use the declared density altitude charts in AIP.

If you plan to fly to a strip somewhere relatively high (Mt Hotham, Orange, Bathurst etc), especially in summer, make sure you check. It might mean for instance that instead of carrying full fuel for the whole trip, you might need to break the trip into sectors to carry a lighter fuel load, landing and refuelling along the way. Or you learn to travel light!

Ferret it's a great idea to get that book together with useful information, just remember a lot of that stuff you will need to know off by heart. You may not have time to revise in the air. So if you get the book together as a study summary you could study that, or take that with you and go over what you need to remember in the next sector.

All of this information (and much more) would be in the text books though. Do you have any text books to study? Thinks like a BAK study book? I used the Trevor Thom books (for GA) and others say the Bob Tait books are great. The Trevor Thom Student Pilot Manual (theory) and Flying Training Manual (practical flying info with a bit of theory - very good) are great to have. I'm sure Ian sells them!

Ferret,

Go immediately to your Instructor, DO NOT PASS "GO"; DO NOT COLLECT $200, and get the Pilot's Operating Handbook for the aircraft you are actually flying.

It will have all the info you require for performance calculations, including weight and balance and take off and landing charts.

Have a look at the aircraft's weight information. Did you know that two aircraft of the same make and model can have differing Empty Weights?

Old Man Emu

i know its a little late, but a little tip... when buying a Whiz Wheel type flight computer, try and get the biggest one you can! sure it might look a bit strange, but your calculations will be spot on!

hi ultralights. i have bought a crappy little cardboard one for the meantime. but you are right on the money, the all metal ones are a little bigger, wear better and dont get damaged when you drop and spill coffee on them. i will be buying an all metal bigger one when i go solo on the navs :)

thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

• 8 months later...

Which wiz-wheel? It's a choice really between the 'sliding cursor' types and the circular 'pocket' type.

I went for a Jeppeson CR-3 back in 1963, and have always looked after it, ie never leave in sun, don't use indelible pens etc. Still have it, and now use for student navs.

Your $44 will be a flying lifetime investment.

happy days,