Ligeti Stratos

Guest High Plains Drifter

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Wanabigaplane,It's an interesting comment. I was actually at Mangalore that year, I think I was 17/18 years old at the time and had had my pilots license for a couple of years. I was in the Australian Air League at the time and you would see us guys in the blue uniforms guarding planes along the tarmac. I had finished my duties for the morning and got back into my casual clothes, met up with a mate of mine Chris and went for a walk along the flight line to look at all the planes.

The ultrabat took both of our attention right away. The pilot was getting the Ultrabat ready for the demonstration. Both Chris and I were standing right behind the plane when the pilot stated throwing the prop to start it alone. I called from across the fence to see if he wanted my assistance. I explained that I was a pilot and could in fact help and it was dangerous to start it by himself. I must have looked to young, he refused my help. He could not get it going, so I offered 2 more times, on the third time he actually told me in no uncertain terms to "p%$# off". I looked at Chris and said, "this is gonna end bad."

The pilot looked to really open the throttle (after many failed attempts to start it) and then threw the prop. That was it; she fired up at full power, blew the guy on his XXXX, charged off down the tarmac. It hit a stone, made a 180 degree turn and headed right for Chris and me . All I remember doing was turning to Chris and yelling RUN! There were people all over the place on the tarmac trying to pounce on the tail to stop it. Chris, I and a crowd of others scattered looking for shelter. We hid behind a hanger and when I looked back, the plane had changed course. It was now heading towards 36 on the taxiway narrowly missing Martin Hones Karatoo, before it made it to the runway, it hit another stone and that's what made it career into the crowd...the rest is history.

I worked for a company at Camden that maintained George's aircraft. He had an Airtourer, Harvard and the Ultrabat -'ANT'

Always a treat to have George in the hanger. Always some mess to clean up after he left.

I read what people write and I would like to reply, but it would take me all day to reply to the threads above.

Charles Ligeti a gentleman! I flew with Charles at Mangalor, Both Scott and I had fun with Charles playing aeroplanes.

I have issue no 1, now try issue 2 Charles did say to us that if he had seen the Sapphire before starting the Stratos,

he would have not made his. Both aircraft where conceived by the lack of any performance from the aircraft available of the day.

The Ultrabat oh what a pity, Scott was not happy. It was not made the way that he wanted, the Blert (have photos) was a

6 meter Sapphire.

To Farri,

The accident, was on the second version of the Stratos. The aerodynamics were modified from the original Stratos. the elevator was longer and there was a prototype high lift device that used prop airflow across a channel wing either side of the fuselage to increase the overall lift. All this was because the engines were weak at the time and Charles wanted to increase the rate of climb.

Ok the short version is that the stall propogation was uniform across the entire canard causing a more pronounced stall (prototype Stratos stalled the inboard section of the canard with the use of elevator, increasing the AOA locally in that area, the original Stratos had a safe bobbing stall). the high lift devise on the second Stratos would not have helped the stalling properties. In the end the second Stratos stalled more like a conventional aircraft and Charles was unprepared for it and too low to recover. Also from memory the crash occured in an area that was known to have a higher amount of sink rate.

There is more to it in the lead up of the accident and with the technicalities that contributed to it also, this is the basic version

Hi Ronsky,Thank you for your reply.

It would be a great achievement if the Stratos was to be reborn and grace the skies.

I wish you all the very best in your future endevours.

Cheers,

Frank.

Hey Frank,

Thanks very much for the kind words, its something a long time coming and would be really profound for me when accomplished.

Anyway, back to work :-)

Will update the web page with construction info in future

cheers

Ron

To burbles1,

Thanks for the feedback, although im not really aiming for eng students. It's just a porthole for people to get info on the Stratos and a way to publish my own info directly, instead of second hand through someone else where mistakes with info can occur.

Hi Ron,

I am one of many who would like to see your project succeed. I would like to plant another seed for thought. You will find it at http://www.jetbeetle.com/. Small, light, compact, noisy... and yes, it would burn a lot of fuel, but hey, it would be the coolest aircraft around!

Cheers,

Dave

Hey Dave,

I actually joked about this with a friend.

Yes its impractical, yes its inefficient, yes everything else - but how cool would it be 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

I figured i can run twin (small size) jet pods - one either side of the fuselage where the current engine is via an internal engine mount to the firewall, with a new f/glass tail cone fairing where the old motor used to be. Basicaly allowing you to convert the existing aircraft to a jet overnight, because the fuel tank, fuel lines and engine mount can be unbolted and swapped over fairly quickly - then back again. (you wont need to make a second "jet specific" aircraft)

I figured if you play with the config & tank size you can get 1/2hr to 1 hr flight time.

if those jet engines can acheive an EGT of 1300C and increase the compression ratio, then it would be efficient and not as thirsty. But current materials available for the price tend to melt right now.

Anyway, enough talk more build :-)

Hi again Ron,

I don't joke about these things as I intend to use 2 of his H150s on my project (subject to observation and inspection of them running)!

I am guessing that 2 of his 90# thrust engines would probably give the Stratos a reasonable rate of climb and a decent top speed. With an installed weight including engines, mounts, ecu etc, could you be looking at a potential 120+ knot 95:10 aircraft? If you could squeeze in 80+ litres of fuel, you could stay up long enough to have some jet fun... With the weak US dollar, you are likely to be able to pick the engines up for around $5000 each at the moment.

A quick change prop to jet arrangement as you suggest might well be attractive to some (or simply the jet option by itself).

Cheers,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dave,

With me it starts off with a joke of "what if", It usually turns serious later because it turns out to be actualy feasible

I saw a Czech jet engine for gliders. with around 500N each.

As is a 50Hp ducted fan should already push the Stratos over 120kts.

the jets should do better at altitude - have to check the sums

80Liters would require a serious fuselage mod. Do-able though.

If a better high temp material than inconel for the turbine was made affordable then you wont need 80L of fuel

The fuselage is interchangable with the wings for another option

Either way i like the option for bolt in fueltank & prop swap over. Up to the individual

Right now for me a 50hp ducted fan - later on jet or even electric