J160 Fuel "Guage"

DrDexter1975

Just started flying a beatiful newJ160 in the last month or so, and the fuel "guage" has me stumped...how do you get an accurate reading from the indicators at each wing root?

Even when I kept the wingslevel it was still bloody hard to accurately read the fuel level. The slightest roll movement changes the indicated fuel level.

In my final circuit, I was quite certain one tank was totally empty (uneven feeding), but when I landed - it still had (from memory) 20 litres!

Anyone have some advice for a new J160 pilot on how to read the fuel level?

G'day

I've been flying my 160 since February this year and I can offer this advice - If the motor stops - you may need fuel.

Sorry couldn't help my self. Check the ball is in the middle and your jabby should be more or less level. (while sitting on the ground)

Read fuel gauges and add fuel if needed.

Whats that? You want to know how much is left while flying? Good luck you'll need it.

I like to have more than enough fuel so I don't have to worry about reading those fluctuating fuel levels

regards

Guest Fred Bear

The J160 guages will read accurately when the aircraft is sitting still on the ground. It is hard to read them in flight and near impossible to make an accurate calculation based on what you see. Never rely on the guage in any aircraft unless you absolutely KNOW it's right and even then, without a dip that would be hard.

You should be dipping the tanks or checking the level prior to flight, then calculating the time you have spent in the air based on the KNOWN fuel burn, then working it out from there, then possibly using the guages as a general backup / guide. I know someone who wrote off their plane when the guage read low because they landed on a beach as a precaution, but after they crashed they realised they had heaps of fuel on board.

funny thing is, i have never trusted a fuel guage in any aircraft i

have flown, except the Jabs with the tank behind the seat,

and yet, even after 27 yrs, the fuel guage is my Mazda is accurate to the Litre.

Hey Doc,

I think the fuel gauge is a very simple and effective indicator that dosen't rely on any thing except gravity -and that won't ever stop working.

No electrics - no float or mechanical device that can go wrong. If you can see fuel, you got fuel, end of story.

regards

Guest Ken deVos

I have also noticed the uneven fuel usageand will admit, would have to put it down to unbalanced flight - a bad habit I'm still working on, but a lot easier in the J160.

However, I fully agree with Pete who wrote: "No electrics - no float or mechanical device that can go wrong. If you can see fuel, you got fuel, end of story".

For those complaining about the difficulty of reading the fuel gauge..... Imagine if we still had to read one of these on finals.

Ken deVos

20060824_085259_Picture_004a.jpg.3c7ec077e22dba0b17b5e0bbbe4ea402.jpg

• 5 months later...

The J230c has wing root guages and LED bar levels on the instrument panel and these are still only a very rough guide during flight.

The fuel slops around in the tanks and flows from one side to the other quite quickly. So if the fuel is unstable then expect the readout to follow it. As several previous posts have said when parked wings level then the readouts can be believed.

Dip tank to know exactly how much is there and calculate duration based on an overestimated fuel burn.

Having said that I must admit that on a journey knowing what fuel is left is a natural desire. I have considered fitting a 'Mizer' type fuel flow meter, but don't think the regs would allow it in an LSA registered aircraft.

Alan

Be wary about the installation of a fuel flow meter or any kind, including a Mizer. When my J400 aircraft was new, I had a slight airframe inbalance caused by the rudder. Most of the left tank fuel drained across to the right tank and out the vent into the air like a fuel dump. Had I had a fuel-flow meter I would have believed it and almost certainly run out of fuel.

They are good for determing economical flight and a rough guide as to what you have remaining, but I wouldn't risk my life on one or even an LED indicator as per what Jabiru fit.

Dip and Calculate is the only safe way in my opinion.

Very interesting point "BrentC".

Cross feed and draining out the tank vent is something I would not have considered. Another valued experience shared by this forum.

In my case though, the cross feed and draining would render the stick method and fuel burn calc subject to the same doubts. But I think I will stick to the stick as my starting point every time. In comparison to a fuel flow meter, it is cheaper, lighter and I don't have to find panel space, nor do I have to go to the trouble of seeing if I can get one put in under LSA regs.

However, this bring to light another point though (scuse me I am new to the Jabiru), the tank vents. I thought these had a one way valve in them to prevent liquid fuel venting.

This of course then begs the question what happens if the fuel tanks are full and fuel expands as it warms up. With a one way valve in the vent it creates images of the wings bulging. Take mental note "never fill Jab up completely with cool fuel and leave in the sun" until I know more.

Regards

Alan

There must be something wrong with the design or construction to be able to lose fuel from a vent. If worst comes to worst it is possible to vent the tanks to the opposite sides with the tank fitting being at the outboard end of the tank. That means the low tank vent is on the high side.

Ian Borg

Guest AusDarren

all these comments make the tank you can see behind the seat real appealing.. how much you have is beyond doubt..

as long as you don't break it..

then all bets are off...

Regards,

AusDarren

Mine vented out the overflow which is under the fuselage in the early J200/400's. The vents are now on the fuel caps. It cross-fed from one tank to another because of an imbalance, the out the vent on that tank. Pretty simple and could happen to many of our RAA aircraft. I've even seen it happen in an Airvan.

In my J400 if you fill when cold and it expands it just neatly runs out the overflow under the aircraft and not all over your nice paint job.

When I said about not trusting the Mizer, I was referring to it lulling me into a false sense of security. If it was there saying 50 litres and the manual gauges said 30 in flight, you'd be put under a bit of pressure wondering what you had left. I feel the tendency would be to just trust the digital readout as it knows exactly what you have used. In theory that is.