10 hours PIC for PAX, do solos count?

Guest basscheffers

Guest basscheffers

So RA-Aus is 20 hrs of which 5 solo plus 10 hours PIC for your PAX endorsement. For those 10 hours, do your solo hours count so that, theoretically, your could have PAX after 25 hours?

Thanks,

Bas.

(5.8 dual hours now, starting circuits on the weekend)

Hi Bas

Endorsement: Cross Country

Learn about: flight planning, meteorology and navigation

Minimum Hours: 5hrs training (3 hours dual instruction and 2 hours solo)

Flight Test: Navigation flight test

Written Test: Multiple choice questions on Flight Rules & Procedures

Result: The cross country endorsement will allow you to fly the recreational aircraft type that you obtained your endorsement in anywhere within Australia during daylight and reasonable weather under visual flight rules (VFR). Generally you will not be allowed to fly over 5000 feet above mean sea level and not in controlled airspace (OCTA), unless you fulfil some specific requirements of Airservices Australia (the Air Traffic Control organisation), or other prohibited or restricted areas.

Endorsement: Passenger Carrying

Learn about: The pre-flight planning of fuel requirements, passenger and baggage arrangement, assessment of runway and air density conditions, calculation of aircraft weight and balance and the physical pre-flight airworthiness checking of the aircraft is emphasised, to ensure the flight will be operated safely

Minimum Hours: 5hrs solo with a minimum of 2hrs in a 2 seat aircraft - 2hrs solo may be cross credited from the 5hr cross country endorsement

Flight Test: Passenger handling flight test

Written Test: None

Result: The passenger endorsement will allow you to take a passenger on private flights

Endorsement: Radio Operator

Learn about: The proper use of a radio and radio procedures

Minimum Hours: None

Flight Test: None

Written Test: Multiple choice questions

Result: Greater freedom, ease and safety in flight

This would mean that at:

25hrs minimum you could have your Certificate and x-country or

25hrs minimum you could have your Certificate and passenger or

27hrs minimum you could have your Certificate, x-country and passenger

Hope this helps!

In NZ it's 35 hours solo before you can apply for a passenger rating.

After 10 hours solo I felt I had a good grip on circuits :big_grin:. "IN MY OPINION" 10 hours is way to soon to be taking a loved one flying

Guest Pabloako

I had my first passengers at the weekend

I had my first passengers at the weekend and have a long list of other people who would like to go for a fly with me. It is a strange feeling, because it is a hell of a responsibility having someone else in the plane. It felt different with the instructor in the plane because they know what they are doing, but when you get a complete novice in the plane they are looking to you for support and guidance, plus they are putting a lot of trust into a 'rookie'. All of this gave me a funny feeling before and during the flight, but a big buzz when I landed again. On the plus side, the landings I did have been the best so far! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif Perhaps because of the extra concentration!keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

xcountry hours

Ian , I remember being told the xcountry hours have been changed in the new opps manual. I believe the new requirement is total 10 hrs that includes 2 hrs solo. The new opps manual was released in march (I think) but not too many members have them as yet. The word is the manual is coming on CD with the june RAA mag and members can request a hard copy later if they wish .

Now I am told by a friend in Tamworth who is about to start xcountry that if you start your training prior to the new rule , then 5 hrs still apply but starting after means 10 hr min now applies.

Now this is what I believe to be true so maybe a member who runs a school or a RAA rep can confirm this for us.....question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif

Cheers

JimG

Guest brentc

To answer the original question, yes, the solo hours do count towards your rating, or atleast they do in the current operations manual.

It's more likely that the '5 hrs' requirement will only be valid if you complete your nav/flt planning before the new Ops Manual is activated on 1st August.

Remember that it's not just a question of how many hours you've clicked over - it's whether you have demonstrated the competencies required by the syllabus, and to the satisfaction of the CFI. That might just be more than the minimums set by RAA.

Guest basscheffers
It's more likely that the '5 hrs' requirement will only be valid if you complete your nav/flt planning before the new Ops Manual is activated on 1st August.

You mean these 5 hours for nav is changing to 10? Not the "5 extra hours on top of normal 15+5 for certificate to get your PAX"? 10 hours for nav doesn't seem like a bad idea to me; getting lost and in trouble x-country worries me more than a rough landing with a passenger!

Remember that it's not just a question of how many hours you've clicked over - it's whether you have demonstrated the competencies required by the syllabus, and to the satisfaction of the CFI. That might just be more than the minimums set by RAA.

But of course! I am not worried about hours - I don't intend to own a plane for a while, so hiring it will be to get more experience and have a good time. Plane is $130 to hire or $170 with instructor. Instructors are cheap!

The bottomline on navigation is from http://www.ragandtubeaviator.blogspot.com/

Clive

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Ops. Manual Update

Hi All,

The new Ops. manual is now at CD proof read stage, and all going well CD's will be burned and sent out with the July Magazine.

Mick Poole has declared August 1st as the implementation date baring unforeseen problems.

There will be a realistic "Grandfather" period for people who have been training under the old Ops. manual. (eg the new cross country increase from 5 to 10 hours.)

John McK

Posted by John McKeownat 13:22

South Queensland RA-Aus Board member

basscheffers

'instructors are cheap' .......... if you can get one ! There's one hell of a shortage over here in the West. Even RWAC is having trouble keeping them.

I heard that GA instructor rates have just risen substantially. A couple months back the casual rate was $57.00 per hour for a Grade 1, GA instructor, and my guess is that it will now be over $60.

What happens in GA instructing will filter on to RAA, and my guess is that casual instructors will need to be paid more. But, that's another subject....

happy days,