Trailer for Skfox

Guest CARL76

Guest CARL76

Hi All

Do any Skyfox / Gazelle owners out there store and/or transport their aircraft on a trailer?

I'd appreciate any information available on what's being used, if anyone's building purpose built trailers, or if there's anything for sale out there. Seems like a "Fox" with the wings folded measures a tad under 2.4M which would make the external trailer width

at least 2.5M. Is this a problem for registration etc.

All and any comments appreciated!

Cheers

Trailer wows

Hi

I have a semi finished project under way for my Aeropup (which also when folded is roughly on the 2.4mtr mark). My trailer was purpose made for transporting insulation batts and was 6.5 long and 2.4 wide and fully enclosed. I have lengthened the trailer to 7.2 metres and removed the roof to make my temporary hanger while I am finishing off the project (cant see myself flying the plane due to fuel prices holding us to randsom, I would rather spend my surplus on the family!) The real problem is registration and keeping the trailer under the 2.5 wide limit HOWEVER I was told by the RTA I can register the trailer 3 metre maximum and would need to have flags displayed, wide load signs and a yellow flashing light with restrictions only to transport during daylight hours, hardly bloody worth it!!!! Not mentioning any names but I have seen this done. Build the trailer to max of 2.5 wide, get it registered then acrow jack the sides out so that you have more clearance with the wings. You would have to be pretty unlucky for the transport mob to pull you over and run a tape measure over your gear, an extra 100-150mm makes all the difference between having damaged and scuffed leading edges. Another option would to have the sides on hinges to swing out from the trailer when loading then swing in pin down and lock. I think building the plane is the easy part! Another thing that you have got to take into consideration is the empty weight, over 750kgs (I think) you will need independant braking system and yearly rego checks if in NSW, same for boggie or tri axles. I hope this post has been some assistance.

Cheers

Knighty

Guest CARL76

Trailer Info

Thanks so much for your comments, insights and ideas. ( I especially liked the idea of the acrow prop!). Fortunately, we that live north of the border are not cursed with annual vehicle inspections so your suggestions are even more viable here!

Cheers - Carl ;)

• 9 months later...

Skyfox/Gazelle

Hi AllDo any Skyfox / Gazelle owners out there store and/or transport their aircraft on a trailer?

I'd appreciate any information available on what's being used, if anyone's building purpose built trailers, or if there's anything for sale out there. Seems like a "Fox" with the wings folded measures a tad under 2.4M which would make the external trailer width

at least 2.5M. Is this a problem for registration etc.

All and any comments appreciated!

Cheers

Ive just finished a trailer for my Gazelle heavy duty,winch, ramps , dual wheels brakes etc 7mts long by 2.5 wide made the QLD rego "just" 698kg with a carry weight of 2ton all out cost was $4000 to build

theres no such thing as a plane trailer in their books so was reg as a pig trailer 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I extened the draw bar so the nose wheel could be placed on there giving me extra room for the tail end, with the wings folded they hang over the back by 6in

It is a two man job getting it on 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif The side boards are on the outer side of the wheel arches and the wheel arches act as wheel chocks for a skyfox with mains right up to the front board the aircraft would all fit in ;)

I just have to find a place to park the trailer now:crying:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Wigg

hi we built a trailer ourselves out of C chanel. When finished we took it to Vic Roads & they registered it as a personal trailer. Then about 12 months later the rules changed & we now have to extend it longer as there is to much of an overhang on it. Being Qld based you need to check with your registration place up there to find out what the requirements are & if you can build your own trailer. Good luck.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Gordon,

I've had no replies to my question re trailer for a Skyfox. You obviously haven't either however, I have now got onto one that may be suitable.

I was wondering if you have a taildragger Skyfox if you could tell me how high it is at its highest point? Either the Tail, top of the wing or top of the prop? Whichever is the highest - not certain if the trailer I have got onto is high enough? Thnaks,

Mike S.

hi sorry been having prob getting this to work on my compt

I have a trl for my Gazelle its same size as a car trl but the floor has been extened over the wheel arches so i use 13in wheels tandem I havent got the measurements handy has beenpassed for reg in QLD Trl fits the whole plane in open trl, the length is longer than the plane the nose wheel fits over the drawbar

only prob i found was when the wings are folded back the plane sits on its butt I forgot this bit :( the nose wheeel neads to be on the draw bar,, back to the drawing board,however would be ideal for a tail dragger when i go out nxt ill get the measuremnts weight came in at 640kg Trl alone, with brakes all round transport reg it as a 2 tonne home built pvt trl (in their words as a pig trl)

ps although i did have to take my side clearance lights off to meet the width requirments

• 1 year later...