latest fuel burn for J230

Jabiru Phil

Just back from a trip Loxton, Burketown, Mataranka, Kakadu, Kununurra, Kimberly coast, Broome, Halls Creek, Alice, Home.

Total tacho hours were 42.0 I averaged 20.2 lts/hr However as I had 20 landings and if the landing/ takeoff warm ups were taken into account the true in flight usage would be about 23 lts/hr.

Oil used was 2 lt total of which about 250 ml was in the collector can.

The averge cost of avgas was $2.02 lt. Dearest at Tillmouth well $3.12 and the cheapest at Longreach and Broome $1.82 and $1.86.

The Jab performed beautifully apart from a radio hiccup which you do not need when that far from home.

Phil.

Guest brentc

Thanks also for making us all jealous about visting Broome. My olds are there at the moment, around 31 every day. My other half is in Hervey Bay too enjoying 25'ish daily. It was 8 degrees here yesterday when I drove to Ballan, I felt like I was in Antartica.

I am having computer trouble. I just posted a reply and it seems that I reposted my original post. I will try again.

Altitudes were either 3500 or 4500 except for terrain and smoke deviations. 2850 rpm was maintained 95% of the time. 500" levels coastal and Kimberly areas for scenic views.

Yes Brent, Broome would be a great place to spend a month or two during our winter. The strip is interesting, one of the best finals around, over the ocean and line up over cable beach, great.

I saw another 230 parked outside the club house but it was gone the next day, pity.

Guest J430

I typically cruise around the 2850-2900 mark, burning in flight 23LPH and TAS 120.

Burn any less and you may be burning something else!

J

Guest DonC

That was probably me parked near the gate at Broome Phil. How did your oil temps go over our way? Mine is still 105C in the cruise!

Just makes me mad when you lose your post into cyber-space somewhere. Here goes again.

Thanks for the queries, IAS 110-112 I would agree with J430 on the TAS at 3-4000" It was apity that I never caught upwith Don C, we could have had a good chat re the oil temps. Since installing the cowl mod (to the oil cooler) the temps have improved greatly, on the trip in the higher OS temps I never got passed 100 in climb, and around 90 in cruise. I kept W100 oil in for the trip.

Changing subject. Any help would be appreciated for Caloundra. I have friends there and would like to visit when the weather fines up. Looks straight forward enough but local knowledge is always good.

Cheers,

Phil.

Phil

Is your 230 VH or RAA?

Either way, I noticed that you came back through The Alice and would appreciate your advice on how difficult it is for an RAA aircraft to get into there for fuel? Do they still have a tower there?

Regards Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Jab is RAA. Alice have a tower but no radar. Just phone them and get a prefered time to land, they are very helpful if you tell them that you are new to the area. In any case report on tower freq 45 miles out with height and heading, they will then advise what to do from then on, just make sure that you repeat all instructions. You will need to have a Visual Teminal Chart. It's a good idea to highlight the various waypoints on the VTC on your track as they could ask you to hold over one of them. Fuel and tie down area no problems, ask for directions when clear of runways. Must have ASIC. All info in the ERSA. I did enquire about fuel at Bond Springs, no luck and was told no problems to land at Alice as it's a remote area and only fuel available.

Cheers,

Phil.

Guest J430

Captain/pduthoit

The question probably should be not a matter of RAA rego or VH, as its quite legal for both provided you have a PPL (A) with a CTA endorsement.

Now before anyone gets all hot under the collar, if you are on an RAA license it would be worthwhile phoneing the tower and advising them of all the facts and seeking their co-operation.

J:thumb_up:

Hi Geoff,Jab is RAA. Alice have a tower but no radar. Just phone them and get a prefered time to land, they are very helpful if you tell them that you are new to the area. In any case report on tower freq 45 miles out with height and heading, they will then advise what to do from then on, just make sure that you repeat all instructions. You will need to have a Visual Teminal Chart. It's a good idea to highlight the various waypoints on the VTC on your track as they could ask you to hold over one of them. Fuel and tie down area no problems, ask for directions when clear of runways. Must have ASIC. All info in the ERSA. I did enquire about fuel at Bond Springs, no luck and was told no problems to land at Alice as it's a remote area and only fuel available.

Cheers,

Phil.

Terrific Phil ..... and thanks.

Regards Geoff

Hi Phil

I just copied your post into the buffer by dragging the cursor over it then closed the forum.

You can then go to most programs that have provision for insrting the buffer contents into a file or a post.

Logged back into the forum and pasted the contents of the buffer into this post as below.

A variation on that might be to save it periodically into say a Word file then when you have it right paste the contents into the post you are working on particularly if it is a long convoluted story where it is difficult to see if your post makes sense until you can see the whole thing.

Your Text below was inserted by pasting from the buffer in my earlier session on the forum.

A common way I used to loose posts was caused by by accidently opening two copies of the forum by double clicking.

The first one would log in useing my user name then the second one would probably start up with my user name again and normally with both running the forum the second one should normally not have the right to write data to an area that is already being worked on by the first open forum. This depends on how it is set up by the programmer i.e. with less rights to write.

It is not very logical to have two posts writing from different sessions of the forum using the same username.

It is difficult enough following the argument when half a dozen people are contributing to the thread all at the same time especially when a post of twenty or thirty lines of information like this one suddenly appears on your screen while you are inserting text.

If I woke up that I had done that after starting work on a new post I could just highlight the post I was trying to create thus putting it in the buffer then shut down that session and insert the contents of the buffer into a post on the forum session that was started first. Easy to get confused at this stage. I have not checked out exactly what happens in this situation lately.

Even better not to shut down the second copy until you make sure you have copied all that you want across to the first opened forum if the system will let you do that.

I have done that a few times - particularly as I am a very slow typist or rather not a typist at all!

Regards

Ross

Just makes me mad when you lose your post into cyber-space somewhere. Here goes again.

Thanks for the queries, IAS 110-112 I would agree with J430 on the TAS at 3-4000" It was apity that I never caught upwith Don C, we could have had a good chat re the oil temps. Since installing the cowl mod (to the oil cooler) the temps have improved greatly, on the trip in the higher OS temps I never got passed 100 in climb, and around 90 in cruise. I kept W100 oil in for the trip.

Changing subject. Any help would be appreciated for Caloundra. I have friends there and would like to visit when the weather fines up. Looks straight forward enough but local knowledge is always good.

Cheers,

Phil.

Hi Ross,

Many thanks for your help, I will try and follow your method. Makes sense!

J430, yes I was in Alice then, infact I got in on the 2nd but did not fly until the the 9th, Sunday 8th I drove down the Finke track and watched the action, BBQ etc. left for William Creek on the 9th.

There was another 230 that came in for fuel on the 8th, we left the same time Monday.

Were you up that way then? Did you see the damaged twin that clipped the trees trying to get in on the rainy night? Very lucky people.

Cheers,

Phil.

Guest J430

Ahhh well thats good to see it was not you then.:thumb_up:

He made his way into a weekly report......one we all try not to be on!:black_eye:

J:wave: