Just Landed

Guest Lurch

Guest Lurch

Hi All, another comer here. I have no real experience, but have always wanted to fly. I am finally in a position where I can afford it, so I am just starting to try to figure out what the deal is.

All the usual questions, like why spend $3k learning to fly through RA when I can spend $20k for GA...:confused:

Anyway... I am sure there are plenty of answers here.

cheers

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif to the forums Lurch. There are plenty of stories where people like you have wanted to fly for many years and now find themselves in a position to do so. Enjoy the experience and fire away with any questions you might have. I began my training last year in a Jabiru and am now working towards my nav endorsement. Each flight gets better all the time.

Regards, Mathew

Welcome Lurch.

Good question, why spend $20000?

I see that AOPA are predicting GA is failing while Recreational flying is booming so why indeed? If you want to fly into controlled airspace, or fly on instruments or at night, or do aerobatics you will have to go GA, but if you can forgo those delights then RAAus is the way to go.

Since the recent change in the regulations it is no longer an either/or situation.

When you spend the $3000 to get your RAA certificate all that time is credited towards your GA qualification.

In theory and with the co operation of the GA flight school you could get you GA ticket when the only GA flying you have done is during the GA flight test and the GA specific training:- instrument time/recovery from unusual attitudes and CTA entry.

davidh

Hi All, another comer here. I have no real experience, but have always wanted to fly. I am finally in a position where I can afford it, so I am just starting to try to figure out what the deal is.All the usual questions, like why spend $3k learning to fly through RA when I can spend $20k for GA...:confused:

Anyway... I am sure there are plenty of answers here.

cheers

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Lurch,

The RAA is not a substitute for GA, it was originaly started by, and for, the pilots who flew what was then called,Ultralight Aircraft,I being one such pilot.

Anyone who chooses to fly Recreational Aircraft,generaly knows the answers,none the least being the difference between $3k and $20k.

Cheers,

Frank.