Belmont Airport Sold

Guest ozzie

Guest ozzie

NBN News tonight ran a story on the sale of Belmont Airport to property developers Mirivac for 4.5 million. When asked as to their intention of the property a spokesperson simply said that the company was increasing it's 'Hunter Area' portfolio.

Central Coast Aero Club was more forthcoming in saying that the property was bought on their behalf and intended to move operations from Warnervale within 2 years . Mirivac will then exchange the Belmont property for Warnervale and begin it's development as an Industrial Area.

Local council Mayor added that it and local residents were still optimistic that the former Aeropelican base would still be used for aviation activites.

onya council :thumb_up:

ozzie

088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif rediculous... soon we will all need vstol acft.. i was talking to an old flyer a few weeks ago, he said after the second world war, you couldn't fly anywhere in the sydney basin for more then a few minutes without overflying an airfield.. Now we have syd international, bankstown, camden and the oaks.. Hoxton is going.. bankstown's no good for us, camden's out on weekends....I thought that RAA was the fastest growing sector of aviation in australia?.. where the hell are we spose to operate from??...sorry to get on the soap box...but damm..money talk's don't it..

Aviation is so "non existant" in Australia compared to other countries like the USA (same land mass as Australia) in a USA "ERSA" equivilent book, they have over 20,000 GA & corporate airfields listed not to mention unlicenced/unregistered aerodromes not included. You can fly out of a CTAF type airfield in a typical US city within 6NM of a major international airport and the airspace abuts so close to it that you have to take an early turn on base to miss the adjoining CTA. Have blimps and jear jets in the circuit pattern and a line of heavies on top of that and how many mid airs are there?? Despite the large population and the urbanising of land in the US, the US government highly promote aviation there. We on the other hand rely on AOPA to lobby the government to keep the bastards honest, but $$$$ talks.

The pilot shortage in Oz continues to worsen also, gee I wonder why that could be?

well done politicians - brainless as usual 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Local council Mayor added that it and local residents were still optimistic that the former Aeropelican base would still be used for aviation activites.

there is still hope! now if someone could put the idea to council that keeping the airport, as Australias only coastal airpark, would reap great tourist $$ revenue, not to mention still make some cash selling the airpark lots, just like temora, Narromine, and other councils with vision...

Guest extralite

Was it really only $4.5 million. How big is the land area? Surely $4.5 million doesnt buy anyone much flat land is such a prime spot near Australia seventh largest city? Certainly not airfield size near water.

Guest ozzie

council don't own it. i belive the company that bought aeropelican after the ansett collapse then moved ops to williamtown.the property would be 300mts by 800mts. from h'way to lakes edge. at about 300cm above sea level i'm not convinced that it is a long term investment for anything other than seaplane ops. when you consider the size of wanervale airport (huge) to the size of belmont (tiny) i am sure that Mirivac will do well with the swap. The council have always been pro aviation for this site.

ozzie

• 2 weeks later...

Belmont Airport

I hope Belmont continues as an Airport.Maitland is too far from town,Williamtown is out for lighties.Good on the local Council I say.The strip is fairly short,but would suit most light singles and sport aircraft.Lets hope it all happens!

IMHO I reckon whoever at Warnervale had the foresight and skill to negotiate this upcoming exchange with Mirvac should be hailed a hero in aviation circles.

It wasn't all that long ago a Newcastle developer (McCloy) had his claws on the Pelican strip but the Lake Mac City Council made it way too difficult for him to proceed. From what I understand he was glad to hand it off to Mirvac.

Pelican is a wonderful strip in a fantastic location. 820m of sealed strip (compared to Warnervale's 850 partially sealed and very narrow) has been more than adequate for many years of Twin Otter ops in the past. Personally, having roots in Lake Macquarie, I cant' wait for the opening up of Pelican for private ops again.

Paul

PS When you first approach YPEC be alert for wind shear due to high vegetation down each side of the strip, esp in summer afternoon noreasters.

Guest ozzie

Be great to buy a house in the next street and kick a hole a the back fence.

plenty of room for hangers. Hope this goes ahead. I miss the twotter days

ozzie