Just landed in Townsville...

Hi, all...

I guess I'm the latest new guy.

Right now, I'm waiting to check out in the only local flight training aircraft (a Gazelle currently in bits). It's been 25 years since I've bored holes in the sky, so I'm quite looking forward to it.

It will be fun to see how long it takes for the old skills to come back. I stopped flying for pay 25 years ago, but presumably it's not too hard for an old dog to re-learn old tricks. :big_grin:

Cheers,

Glenn

Welcome Glenn.

You should find it easy to pick up where you left off, if you were flying Cessna or Piper aircraft before. The gazelle is dead easy to fly.

Thanks, Ian...

Way back when, I flew all the pre-80s Piper singles and twins, most of the Cessna singles, plus a fair selection of larger birds, so I don't think it will be too big a chore to get back in shape. Lot of cobwebs to blow away, though.

I must admit I wonder how the very small wheels and tires on tricycle-gear sport aircraft would handle an off-field landing, if it came to that. That's mostly personal prejudice, though. I'm just an old foop who started in...and still loves... tail-draggers.

Cheers,

Glenn

Hi, all...I guess I'm the latest new guy.

Right now, I'm waiting to check out in the only local flight training aircraft (a Gazelle currently in bits).

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Glenn,

Are you talking about a GA school or Recreational?,I`m a bit out of touch with what is happening in Townsville,with the Recreational scene.

Pat McGrath and Bill Stark, Bill passed away a few years ago,both ran their own recreational school in the Townsville area, when I was operating.

I love tail dragers also,it`s a bit more of a challenge.

Cheers,

Frank.

Hi, Frank...

It's a recreational school which is an offshoot of a Melbourne or Sydney (can't remember which) organisation. It seems to be one instructor (a nice guy named Steve O'Donnell), one Gazelle and a Thruster... or is it a Drifter? Apologies for being so vague.

It operates out of Aces Field, which is quite a nice little setup near Woodstock, about 35 minutes drive from Townsville.

I'll know more when the Gazelle gets well and I can actually get involved.

Cheers,

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Going from memory,I think Aces field was the home field of the late Bill Stark,AUF. CFI.

Bill Stark,Pat McGrath,Carlo Prette and myself, started, what was then called Ultralight flying,in north Queensland,we all ran our own AUF schools.

Bill Stark, passed away and Pat McGrath and I both retired a couple of years ago.

There are now 2 recreational schools operating out of Innisfail aerodrome,run by, Carlo Prette,with a Light Wing and Ron Watson,with a Jabiru.

It`s good to know that there`s a recreational school still out at Woodstock.

The Drifter is tandem and is an open cockpit and the Thruster is side by side and has a windscreen.

Cheers,

Frank. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Hi, Frank...

Very interesting. Thank you. Btw, I now see that my post may have indicated that Aces Field has only two or three aircraft based there.

Not so. When I was out there a few days ago, there were four Jabirus, a Savannah, as well as four or five other birds I'm not yet familiar with.

No one around when I visited, but it seems to be a going proposition.

Cheers,

Glenn