Cheetah kit

Guest Guest

Guest Flyer40
One other thing for those who have considered the Cheetah, but have been put off by the "rough around the edges" charm, or the cockpit noise.The rough bit is due to Garry building it in 3 weeks, and because he tends to go hard and accept little imperfections here and there. It is perfectly possible to finish it immaculately, as I hope to demonstrate.

The noise is due to a few things.

First, the radio is the old Microair 760N and he is using the inbuilt intercom which has a hot mike. I hate it. There's no point using my Bose X in there. Mine is the new 760P which has vox intercom. That, and the Powermate regulator, should mean the radio will be brilliant.

Also, Garry has deliberately left a half inch gap right around the rear of the canopy to provide flow through ventilation. It works brilliantly, but adds to the noise. With mine we are putting a fibreglass lip right around the bulkhead where the canopy closes, and sealing with rubber. I'm putting a vent in the canopy hat to allow air egress.

Finally, there is no insulation. The steel firewall and metal sides act like drums.

I have applied foam backed sisalation type stuff to the firewall, under the parcel shelf, and various other places to absorb vibration and noise. I think it will be a lot better. I threw some in the Sierra while I was at it.

Just thought I'd mention these things, because I've heard a few comments along these lines. Don't be put off. Your mileage will vary.

Come for a ride in mine sometime.

Ross

Thanks for the advice Ross, I really appreciate these comments. I've been toying with some idea's about sound insulation etc but of course they're just idea's for me at this stage. Looking forward to seeing how you turn them into reality.

I'd like to take you up on your offer to go for a ride when you're finished.

For me, I'm going to have more time to think up idea's coz with a huge mortgage and never ending interest rate rises I suspect I'm being overly ambitious about starting a build project at this time.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello ross how far off finishing your cheetah are you as i have just soloed last week end i will be going over to taree very soon to test the cheetah how are you going with the sound treatment and how long have you been building it thank you

Hi kfowler.

Congrats on the solo 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

I've been building about 8 or 9 weeks and should be test flying within the next 4 weeks or so. It is a quick build design. Garry built the first Cheetah in 3 weeks.

The sound treatment just involved gluing some dense foam-backed stuff with metal film on one side to the firewall and some other spots. I will carpet the cockpit floor and upholster the sides too. Garry can show you when you check out the Sierra. If you go before I'm finished I can show you mine.

Garry will be finished the Sierra within 3 weeks.

I bet you'll love it.

Ross

thanks ross the serria i would love to build one but the cheetah will be the first the guys in my area there are ten of us getting our pilots cert i will be the first so the first plane should be a cheetah we should have a lot of fun with it my wife and i are going all over oz in it we hope

• 1 year later...