Cheetah kit

Guest Guest

Guest disperse

what sort of money would you need for the motor and instruments

i have no idea of the cost of a jab 2.2 but im "guessing " that another 25k would just get it in the air..............am i close

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest disperse

100hp in a cheetah ???

does anyone know if the cheetah can handle say a 912s

and besides aircraft strengh is limiting power got more to do with not exceeding Vne

but the joey2 is looking very nice ;) but by my ruff calcs it would come in about 20k dearer:crying:

Garry is just starting on a Cheetah Sierra - an all metal version of the Cheetah designed for a 6 cylinder Jab. It might be more what you're after. But if you're counting costs, why go Rotax over Jab?

He hasn't done mounts and cowls for anything but Jabs yet, but give him a ring and talk about it.

Ross

Guest disperse

no id just be wasting his time at the moment ........but when im serious i will definitly be calling Garry

Guest Flyer40

I'm very interested in the Sierra, but I'm concerned about interior space. I've been spoiled by the space in the 182 and I'm wondering how I might adapt to a more compact cockpit. Some of the pics I've seen of the Cheetah seem to indicate that the canopy is virtually touching the side of your head and with a pax there's no spare shoulder room.

Have I got this wrong? Can anyone help with a better description of the actual cockpit space inside the Cheetah, and maybe even a few interior pics?

Mal

The Sierra is going to have a slightly higher/larger canopy which will help with headroom, although Garry says that they have had 6'2 in the cheetah.

Seating is in sports car fashion with very low seats and is comfortable if you like that sort of thing (I do). Elbow room is 42 inches, just keep away from large people and you will be fine.

Attached is my boss and I in Garry's demonstrator at Natfly.

Used without permission of my boss, and he's probably going to read this.

932250310_Cheetahinterior.jpg.03736de8e1a04abf522f610c0192a258.jpg

The design (and Garry) is very flexible. When Garry made his prototype Cheetah he joined the fuselage sides at the nose and firewall, and just drew them together at the tail and attached braces or cross-members after that.

I also found his a bit tight and was touching the canopy with my headset occasionally, so with mine we have put the cross-member in behind where the seats will be first, then drawn the fuse together at the tail. This gives about 2 inches more at the shoulders (over 40" now - more at the elbows). We have also raised the turtledeck about 2 inches for more headroom (this will be standard for the Sierra). Both of these changes could be taken further if required, but you'd start to increase drag and possibly change the airflow too much if you went too far. We don't expect much impact with the changes for me. I'm 6'1" and expect to fit comfortably. I had no real trouble in Garry's, just thought a little more would be nice. It was a bit snug.

With the standard higher turtledeck for the Sierra and paying attention to the shoulder width when you build, you should be right.

You could also look at a moulded canopy to make more room.

It is already very roomy in other areas. Lots of storage.

Ross

The Sierra is going to have a slightly higher/larger canopy which will help with headroom, although Garry says that they have had 6'2 in the cheetah.Seating is in sports car fashion with very low seats and is comfortable if you like that sort of thing (I do). Elbow room is 42 inches, just keep away from large people and you will be fine.

Attached is my boss and I in Garry's demonstrator at Natfly.

Used without permission of my boss, and he's probably going to read this.

Answered while composing mine. You can't have too much advice.

Have you flown 4507 Bigglesworth? I'm going to put some more time on it on the weekend. Got to learn to fly mine :big_grin:

Garry took me for a short flight at Natfly, that is the only time I have been up in a Cheetah. I figured that with only 56 hours flying experience I probably can't pick a good or bad plane anyway, so I rely on what others say.

Talking of storage, if you think Garry's has a large cargo hold, mine is bigger. I challenge you to find another 2 seater where you can fit a guitar in the cargo hold. Or fishing rods.

How soon are you getting yours? You have to learn to fly it already? I predict that I will have fun and games when I go to try to learn to fly mine and test fly it at the same time. I might get someone else to test fly it but that would spoil the fun.

I got the turtle deck on mine today, very happy.

In the case of test flying with low hours, none on type, I'd express it with this equation.

less fun = less dead

A guy at work asked if he could fit a surfboard in it. There's a challenge.

Going hard. Should be finished sometime during August. A birthday present would be good.

Continue the equation:

Less fun= might as well be dead :clown:

By August mine should be about 3/4 done, it seems Tim will beat me. Have you decided on what colour you want?

As for a surfboard, I could probably fit it in mine, just remove the passenger side seat and you can stick it right to the back and through to the firewall, How you'd get it there I don't know :).

Guest Flyer40

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I need to make a trip up to Taree to see it in real life. There are some QB Zodiac 601 kits available for around $30K ATM which are very tempting. I'm finding it hard to decide.

Guest disperse

has anyone started a joey2 kit yet.......now that would be nice

you could leave the oaks strip at camden ..... and land at "YENN'S" strip near bernaraby QLD ......in just on 4 hours (aprox 600nm) and depending on fuel burn just about make it back before you needed more gas (but i dought you would have a safe reserve)

my folks live near there so thats the rule ive been meassuring planes against

Have you decided on what colour you want?

Check out my avatar. Probably something close to that, but the bronze may be deeper. I just mocked this one up on the computer with help from my lovely wife Christine. She thinks it looks classy.

Been spending as much time in Taree as possible and the build is progressing well. Should be done in 2-3 months. You might beat me yet.

Also been flying Garry's a lot to learn to fly it well. I love it more everytime I fly it.

Got the rego yesterday. Couldn't get 4242 so I settled for 5151 ;)

Ross

How did you do that picture so easily?

I was thinking of metallic green on top and light grey underneath. And with a stripe pattern instead of a sweep.

I've got the fin and rudder done, so progress is happening, but I only seem to be able to spare 2 days a week it plus a night or 2 which isn't enough. I will work harder.

The tail is drawn a bit hard to understand in the plans, so mine ended up slightly different shape;), same as 4763. I told Garry this and he has changed the plans but that doesn't help me. It isn't too bad, see the attachment.

I've been looking into lights and strobes for it, I wanted to put one on the tail and run the wires before rivetting, but I found out that you can get combination heads for the tips which meet all the specs. Not that rec planes can fly at night legally..............;)

What extras are going onto yours?

IMGP1056.JPG.3afd2b3f3c03bdc3cd6c78ad299e8f4f.JPG

BTW don't let me put you off with the story of the tail (tale of the tail) if you are thinking of buying a cheetah: Garry knows the plans are the weak point and is getting them redrawn on CAD. The new ones should make building even easier than it already is. They are expected (I think) sometime later this year.

Aircraft spruce sells a self contained strobe light for about $100, i have one on the tail of the vampire, the entire unit is about 4 inches high. all it needs is 12 Volt power.

you can see the strobe just behind the antenna on the right tail fin.

What do you mean easily? I've had a few decades practice with digital imaging.

That's a fairly quick job in Photoshop. Here's a bigger shot.

[ATTACH]3117.vB[/ATTACH]

If I spent a few more hours you wouldn't be able to tell it was 'shopped.

Yours is coming along nicely. Colours sound great. I can see them spending some hours flying together in this region.

Methuselah is bringing some new wingtip strobes he doesn't need for me to see on Monday at beer o'clock. I'll probably use them. Even without flying at night, it all helps to be seen.

Here's some shots of where I'm at.

[ATTACH]3118.vB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3119.vB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3120.vB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3123.vB[/ATTACH]

Fits like a glove. The seat will be from a mould and drops me another 2 inches. In fact that's the mould on the floor in shot 3 above.

[ATTACH]3124.vB[/ATTACH]

and Flyer40 - here's a couple of interior shots. Remember - it can be made higher and wider than this. Like mine.

[ATTACH]3121.vB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]3122.vB[/ATTACH]

Extras? Let's see. Powermate regulator, toe op differential disc brakes, Rota buckle 4 point harnesses, Naca vents, Jab cabin heat kit (else no chance of getting my wife up over the snow), cig lighter, MicroAir radio/icom, Odyssey battery, other bits and pieces.

Ross

mycheetah.jpg.a27fda873448cf5d8a35d77c6b0c9228.jpg

P1010034p.jpg.3dc20da670c49fd31bd6b4275d9bf056.jpg

P1010038p.jpg.7361ce957e6b5f20bcc346aa4eb94979.jpg

P1010047p.jpg.ff525ddae2b8114c0adf4a56172ffbd0.jpg

P1010048p.jpg.f64f6cf23502775a1361a1cd80e4ad41.jpg

P1010049p.jpg.88c5a6b7f4d7d5b20f7e1d172d775e5f.jpg

P1010036b.jpg.9ffc2ece06c5c015b86432992380d435.jpg

P1010044b.jpg.8944f82ab68e196dc24dfc7cb4be45a0.jpg

Nice, but I wanted the nav lights too. In fact the full night kit. The tip lights I mentioned seem to cost about $900. Ouch.

I want the full night kit because; a, I won't draw attention if I am up late, b, hopefully there will be a change in regs one day to allow rec. night vfr.

Anyone else support a night rating? Say, the plane has to meet Casa specs, pilot has to have a GA NVFR rating, what would be the problem?

You posted while I was writing, read in different order.

Back to proper order,

It looks like I'm way ahead of Tim at the moment, but how long that will last, I don't know. Especially when it comes to fitting out the motor and electrical where he can copy the original but I have to design all my own wiring etc. Maybe it won't be as hard as I think, but then again.........

I think if you get yours first, I will be that jealous that I will stop working everywhere else and work 16 hours a day on mine. You getting yours is good incentive for me to keep working. I am indebted to you 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif.

Now I'd better get of the computer and get some sleep. Work on the plane tomorrow night. Probably work until past 1. Again.

Guest Flyer40

Great to hear about your build progress guys. I was hoping you could squeeze some time in to let us all know how it was going. I'll be looking forward to your next updates.

Cool colours too.

Mal

• 1 month later...

One other thing for those who have considered the Cheetah, but have been put off by the "rough around the edges" charm, or the cockpit noise.

The rough bit is due to Garry building it in 3 weeks, and because he tends to go hard and accept little imperfections here and there. It is perfectly possible to finish it immaculately, as I hope to demonstrate.

The noise is due to a few things.

First, the radio is the old Microair 760N and he is using the inbuilt intercom which has a hot mike. I hate it. There's no point using my Bose X in there. Mine is the new 760P which has vox intercom. That, and the Powermate regulator, should mean the radio will be brilliant.

Also, Garry has deliberately left a half inch gap right around the rear of the canopy to provide flow through ventilation. It works brilliantly, but adds to the noise. With mine we are putting a fibreglass lip right around the bulkhead where the canopy closes, and sealing with rubber. I'm putting a vent in the canopy hat to allow air egress.

Finally, there is no insulation. The steel firewall and metal sides act like drums.

I have applied foam backed sisalation type stuff to the firewall, under the parcel shelf, and various other places to absorb vibration and noise. I think it will be a lot better. I threw some in the Sierra while I was at it.

Just thought I'd mention these things, because I've heard a few comments along these lines. Don't be put off. Your mileage will vary.

Come for a ride in mine sometime.

Ross

Or if your worried about noise, do the young fool thing like me: have a radio with music input, turn it up loud.

All solved.

Actually I will put even better than sisal stuff in mine. Only problem is it weighs 4kg per square metre. can't put much in.