hangaring

Guest pipross

Guest pipross

Hi all,

This will probably seem stupid, but I'm buying an Airbourne edge trike and want to be able to keep it on our farm. The problem is, our current building storage options have a height restriction of 3 metres or so. The Airbourne is 3.8m fully rigged up. Do I have any options of storage, without having to break down the wing, or buy a new barn???

Yours hopefully

Ross

Guest pipross

I thought about that, but unfortunately it's fairly flat so we'll get into ponding/wet trike problems... It'd be ok if we lived in a dry environment but we're in waikato new zealand..

but we're in waikato new zealand..

Enough said...although having been in a situation like this some time ago I just also excavated a collection pit and then put in a long agy line to drain away any water that seeped in.

Guest coolmango

OK.. here is a lateral solution for you... keep an open mind...

Excavate the required depth, make it a little deeper at one end (a very gentle slope). I would also suggest lining with "pond lining".. ( don't laugh !!!)

Go to a boat shop and buy a bilge pump. You can buy units with a wetness sensor, so as the sensor get covered (they are only a few centimeter tall) it pumps the water out automaticly - you can run a hose as far as you like away fro the shed. If the shed is not powered, just connect it to a small yacht battery or car battery. Even if you don't use a sensor, you could still easily pump it clear with a bildge pump.

The trick here is to line it so the ground does not soak up the water that pools up - then you can pump it out

The pond lying will stop the ground from turning into a bog. it also stops the blidge pump sucking in mud and fail....

Hi Ross,

Could you give some more details of the shed(s) available on your farm? There are various options available, though the long keel tube extension of the Edge wing may become a limiting factor.

Cheers,

Glen

Pipross,

You may find by removing the 2 pip pins in the the compression strut and and pulling the control bar well forward that might just give the king post enough room to go in the barn as it will be atleast a 45 degree angle or more which should reduce the height considerably, pain in the butt but worth a try as it will be heaps quicker than laying the wing down.

Cheers

Alf

Guest pipross

We have an implement shed in which the trike could go in sideways, on a trolley, but has a height issue of 3m. (a bit more height when in...) Plenty of wing and trike room both sideways, front and back. Thats the only real option as the hay barn is a pole structure and too exposed

Ross,

It sounds like you will need to build yourself a trolley to wheel your trike onto and fold the mast down so the control bar sits in a frame on the front of your trolley.

Use trailer jockey wheels to support the trolley at the rear undercarriage position and a simple castoring wheel under the nose wheel position.

Weld on some small tubes as needed to use steel rods thru them to lock jockey wheels at a desired steering angle and to steer the whole show which otherwise needs at least 2 people to guide it.

I'm sure you can figure out the details once you have the idea if this is the way for you . . . have tried attaching an old photo with our trike trolley in the back ground - sorry I couldn't seem to find a better photo of the trolley.

Cheers,

Glen

cpkhangar.jpg.6a7d2eedcd31fc23c777936f23614d44.jpg

Guest pipross

I'm starting to get the idea, thanks all... How long does it take to drop the wing down (as in the picture) and set it back up again?

Ross,

For an XT like Kens in that photo it would take less than a minute to drop the wing down and about the same to put it back up by the time you remove the pip pins and replace them ect .

My old edge x used to take about 2 mins max each way to lower and raise the wing.

As for other brands of trikes I cannnot coment on.

Cheers

Alf