Training areas

Guest airsick

Guest airsick

I have always gotten details of the local training area from a school in the area but was just wondering - does anyone know where these areas are officially defined? They aren't marked up on the VTC so how would someone find out about it in a new area? For example, there are two areas in Canberra and if I am not familiar with one of them, aside from going to the local school how do I find the boundaries of it?

Try looking on the Visual Terminal Chart. They are usually danger areas and marked D123 with the number being different for each location. they are listed in ERSA, although D442 to the East of Canberra is not listed so I am not sure if it is a training area.

Guest airsick

As I said, they're not marked on the VTC (at least not on the Canberra ones). There is one around the Bungendore area to the east and one around Mt Stromlo to the west and as you can see there is no indication of these.

I had a look at the "Flying Around" section of the Airservices website for Canberra. Apart from a brief mention of the "Barton Training Areas" there was no mention of other training or Danger areas (apart from D423 out towards Braidwood - Military Helo training area). I couldn't find any further info on "Barton Training Areas" elsewhere - eg ERSA etc. Whether it is over the suburb of Barton or is just the name they use I'm not sure....

I've often wondered how you find out about training areas if you are not a local. A while ago I went flying at Albion Park (not my local airfield) with a pilot friend from work. He talked about the "training area" however I don't ever recall seeing anything on a chart around YWOL....

Cheers

Guest airsick

That's exactly my point Moz! Here in Canberra there are two, Kings and Barton, but they aren't on any maps that I know of and I don't really know how to find 'official' info on them. As in my example, if you are not familiar then what do you do?

Guest Elk McPherson

There are many many airfields out there with flying schools and each one is required to have a designated training area.

At Scone the training area is outlined by clear features that are easy enough for a student to discern. Every flying school that has operated there in the last decade (at least) has had the same training area and it has been approved by CASA, the AUF and RAAus.

However, the boundaries have never been officially promulgated or marked on any map.

Civilian training areas "may or may not" be published, probably depending on the volume of traffic.

Best advice I can give you is to continue your current practice of asking the locals, if you need to - and otherwise, keep your eyes peeled and listen to the CTAF for clues there is flight training going on.

Stay Safe

Hazard.

The situation is not very satisfactory. At Penfield ( when I used to fly there) aircraft would regularly fly through the circuit when they were skirting the control zone, and I presume nothing has changed. At Lethbridge, still happened but fairly rare , At least there, the straying aircraft were sometimes at a reasonable height. It's probably an argument for flying a little higher than we sometimes do.. Nev..

I have always gotten details of the local training area from a school in the area but was just wondering - does anyone know where these areas are officially defined? They aren't marked up on the VTC so how would someone find out about it in a new area? For example, there are two areas in Canberra and if I am not familiar with one of them, aside from going to the local school how do I find the boundaries of it?

Airsick,

It took me several years just to get an Ultralight symbol on the VTC for the training area that CASA had approved for me.

Best of luck in trying to get marked boundries on a VTC.

Frank.