Oakey Fly in - Rotors, wings 'n' wheels

Hey everyone. Im interested to know if anyone is going to be attending the oakey flying in october? Or at the very least know what is going to be on display there in the way of warbirds etc? Im planning on driving up there (benifits of newly having a learners licence :P) so i wanted to know if it would be worthwhile.

Guest Elk McPherson

Well... it IS the Army's major aviation base so you will see Kiowas, Blackhawks, the new Eurocopter Tiger and the EH90... and probably a Chook.

There is also a very tidy 3-or 4-year old museum of Army Aviation, which I reckon would be worth the drive in itself.

I would imagine with Towoomba just up the hill you will see all of Lynette Zuccoli's toys there, a number of Yaks/Nanchangs/T-28s and so on.

...finally, this sounds like a military airshow so I wonder... with Amberley about 90 miles away, could the F-111s make an appearance?

I won't be going (I fly up to or through the Darling Downs every week and have no desire to go back on the weekends!) but I reckon it will be a good show - one of those big ones you read about in Flightpath ;)

Guest Cloudsuck

I flew my Yak in there last year. As fly-in's go it was pretty average and poorly advertised. The Army only provided one Tiger. Private aircraft included; three T-28's, a Mustang and three Yaks all trying to do adventure flights. Maybe it wil ramp up this year but I'll wait for the Amberley Air Show. It will be much better.

I see on the Roulettes site that they are scheduling just one aircraft to the Oakey Fly-In and the Army Museum site is saying very little about what is on that weekend.

In contrast the Amberley Show looks a bit better .... see http://www.raaf.gov.au/airshow/index.aspx but do you need to compete for one of those only 40 slots each day to get into there. And does anyone know whether you can camp there with your aircraft?

Guest Cloudsuck
And does anyone know whether you can camp there with your aircraft?

Q. What is black and tan and red all over?

A. A RAAF Police Dog on a pilot trying to camp on a millitary base after closing time ;)

did those adventure flights cost anything? Id probs go on one if i had the money, but if its too expensive then im gonna have to pass. I need money for alot of things, which includes spending money for a trip to america, and a camera for that trip. And as it turns out, im in america on the dates that the amberly air show is on. I was pretty disappointed when i found out. thumb_down Ill definetely be going to avalon though next year. ANyone else planning on that?

Guest Cloudsuck
did those adventure flights cost anything? Id probs go on one if i had the money

Yeah they are quite expensive, as is the running costs of the aircraft I guess.

It may be easier to ask who isn't going next year. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Recreational Flying should have a stand as a centralised meeting place for forum members, tea, coffee, shade, fridge etc again next year

Guest airsick
Q. What is black and tan and red all over? A. A RAAF Police Dog on a pilot trying to camp on a millitary base after closing time ;)

So you're suggesting we take some schmackos then?

I've made some decisions for attending airshows and flyins.

If i can't camp with my aircraft . i won't go

if i can't move amongst the aircraft, i won't go.

If there are rude over the top secuity, i won't go, or i will leave.

I will not pay for a security clearance. security is the airport operators problem,not mine therefor why should i pay for his percieved problem.

I don't see any reason to be able to allocate an area for people to camp with there aircraft.i'm sure that the raaf doggie will be able to clarify the boundary of the area. and that is on any airport. i can't see what the problem is. gee last week i was sitting in the left seat of a Osprey owned by the US Marines. Didn't need no security badge.

Ozzie

Good points Oz

In addition, only having parking on paved areas at the Amberley show , therefore precluding tiedown, indicates to me that they don't want or don't care about or don't understand light aircraft .... or all 3.

Any of those will also make the experience and show less enjoyable.

Geoff