(oopps, I remembered the;

2 year old,

two month old,

wife who hasn't slept

the house renovations,

I'm not flying ANYTHING!!!)

Sorry chaps,

I know most you will smile and say,

been there done that, (more and better:clap:011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif)

Even though I'm grounded I still like reading about trikes.

And while I used to fly my Redback Wizard wing,

I had PLENTY of time to think about my triking wishlist 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

So I thought I'd enlist professionals and otherwise

To grow a IDEAL TRIKE wishlist.

Coming from me there probably won't be much thats original,

But I have a PhD in "Pinch, Pillage & Plagurise Publications"040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

My design objectives so far would be:

a) Pricing commensurate with type of aircraft. (EG: not paying for the price of a real plane for what is effectively a flying tent - forgive the sacriligious description)

b) 55kts +

c) Cost effective 4 stroke (eg: HKS??)

Do I have any takers for the IT Wishlist project.

The theme would be research ideas from various manufacturers globally and design our own.

It may serve no other purpose other than to generate some interest in the trikers section, (otherwise Ian might stick us trikers in the "back of the hanger" )

WING:

Now, the WING that really has caught my eye is on the HAZARD wing from Pipistrel,

For a trike it really motors along. (google it, I won't put the link on)

Gibbo Gear has made some great claims for turbulence control, but is a bit slow, and claims come from the USA.

BASE:

Aquilla trike's make me purr, shockies, fat wheels, folding mast FUEL GAUGE!! and light

MOTOR:

HKS keeps sticking in my head as a good options.

Next opinion please:thumb_up:

Andrew

single seat trikes

if carrying of passengers is not required, then a single seat trike might fit the bill. after finishing my training on heavier 2 seater I transitioned to single seat pursuit 10 trike, the difference was like changing from a manual steering to power steering in a car. its light, nimble and easy on your muscles and whole lot fun to fly. on rotax447 it easily tops 55kts if you pull in a bit and climbs 700+ft/min.

similar type of production trike is made by ace aviation http://www.aceaviation.co.uk/magic.shtml with cyclone wing they claim 70 mph with rotax447. you probably can rocketize it further by fitting a hks engine if flying 2 stroke give you the jitters

its going really well all thanx to your excellent instruction len. I did not found much difficulty transitioning to my single seater. coming in like an express train, locking in solid and short sharp movements and other stuff you drummed in training still come in handy especially on rough days ;). I have fixed all the bugs on the machine and it flyies like a dream and iam really happy with it.

wish list

O.K guys

I'll type all this again because the 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif broadband just dropped out and wiped the last one out just as I was about to submit it.

The first thing would be not to have to worry about money 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Now we've got that small matter out of the way not having the front pole as per the DTA Voyager or Combo (you wouldn't look out of place if you landed on the moon in one of those Combos with the full fairings) really does it for me.

The next thing would be a topless wing because when I join the ranks of the grey (or in my case bald) nomads I would like to be able to park the trike on the back of the ute or light truck and hook the caravan on behind, if you don't have to demount the wing each time that would be a huge advantage.

Then as I'm not going to be concerned with trivialities (is that a word ?) such as financial constraints I think the 912 with its reliable and long range capabilities will do me fine. Recently a gyro with a 914 turbo bolted on the back turned up at Great Lakes this excited me for a while but then I remembered the 912 I did some of my training in had power to burn so I guess I don't need a turbo ;)

Regards Bill

Sunny, I have to say that the little single seater you provided the link for looks like a great little Sunday runabout. If they ever see our shores at USD10k + GST I'll be one of the first to line up for one. Topless wing would be even better.

Bill, sounds like you want to update your Peggy to a QuikR.

Cheers,

Glen

Guest MundooTriker

Hello Chaps,

I thought you had all disappeared.

I forgot to mention - I had a 2 seater in mind.

Gibbo Gear and Northwing in the USA has topless trikes, but cruise approx 43kts.

(Gibbo Gear might has an Australian dealer I think, but the trikes/wings need certification)

Now for my next dumb question,

How come trikes don't have a "rigid wing" option such as the AEROS Phantom Hanglider. I think that design for a trike would be interesting and quick.

Has anyone looked at the cruise speed claims of the Pipistrel with the Hazard Wing?

Wing sounds good, but the trike looks a bit stodgy to me.

Nice to know you are all still out there.018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

Andrew

Sunny, I have to say that the little single seater you provided the link for looks like a great little Sunday runabout. If they ever see our shores at USD10k + GST I'll be one of the first to line up for one. Cheers,

Glen

does look good value for 10k Glen.

could be a good opportunity for someone to become a dealer for ozz

Guest MundooTriker

Has anyone considered seeing if we can get the legislation changed to certify just the wings such as in US A and Sth Africa, to give a bit more flexibility on trike/wing combinations. I know this thought popps up from time to time, so assume it just gets put in the "too hard basket".thumb_down

Geez...how good is the Electric trike! This is great! I know weight would be a consideration but I wonder if you could hook a charging system up to the belt/prop drive on the motor or make a wind generator to have in flight charging? I would need to have a twin seat as the wife wouldnt let me spend all that money to leave her behind....:hittinghead:

Scotty :thumb_up:

Guest MundooTriker

I wonder if an electric engine exists that could be practical for passenger/pilot of 160-180kg. Of course there would be approx 30kg of fuel saving.

Yeah good point. I dont know enough about electric motors but know there are some very impressive performers used in my other hobby, Radio Control Scale planes. Would be good to do the weight figures on what a Rotax 582 and all associated extras like fuel and the complete setup would weigh compared to something like this. Wonder how long one of these Electric Motors would last? Work out all the servicing of a petrol motor and this becomes very economical I might think?

Scotty :big_grin:

Has anyone considered seeing if we can get the legislation changed to certify just the wings such as in US A and Sth Africa, to give a bit more flexibility on trike/wing combinations. I know this thought popps up from time to time, so assume it just gets put in the "too hard basket".thumb_down

Most likely the best way to go would be to lobby RAAus to get the Part 103 aircraft category currently allowed in USA & UK introduced here is Oz. That would literalyy open the floodgates to a lot of single seat trikes now being flown in those countries. Although they could be registered as 95.10 here in Oz they were designed around the USA's FAA Part103 rule.

I agree there's an opportunity for a dealership for someone who's prepared to do the legwork to get the aircraft approved with RAAus here.

Cheers,

Glen

Guest MundooTriker

Splendid,

Ok boys, who wants some leg work.

"Not I said the goose:laugh:006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif"

By the way, I have received several quotes on HKS powered 2 seat trikes that will cruise at 55kts for approx $30k-$33k landed in Australia.

Aquilla was one, and I think that would be a very nice trike,

Astra ex USA (via India??) was the other.

4stroke and same cruise as the veritable XT912.

I'm surprised no-one has taken up a dealership, but

then

if it were up to me, it wouldn't be:laugh:

regards andrew

www.vectrix.com/[/url] - heres potential from a motorbike

I have a Vectrix for my city transport.. (Keep it in Sydney). They are way cool.. 42c per charge for 100kms, and top-speed over 100km/hr.

Guest MundooTriker

Chris,

What do you think the potential is for a 2 seater trike. I know the motor might not do it yet, but would it be close to a 503?

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MundooTriker

Hey boys,

I've just had a look at the "ultimate aircraft" forum, which follows the "master" project by the 3 axis boys.

You don't to be Einstein to work this out, but I'll say it anyway,

I stole the idea from the Millenium Master Project.

I think there is plenty of scope for improvement in trikes generally,

and perhaps a rigid type wing would be a place to start.

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif