Parliament approves selling north Qld regional airports

Admin

Queensland Parliament has passed legislation clearing the way for the sale of two regional airports.

Parliament has approved the sale of the Cairns and Mackay Airports as well as the State Government's stake in the Brisbane Airport.

The proceeds will fund hospital upgrades at Cairns and Mackay in the state's north and Mount Isa in Queensland's north-west

The Opposition supported the Bill, but treasury spokesman Tim Nicholls told the House it was a rushed decision.

"Policy on the run has become policy in itself for this Government, while public consultation has become a thing of the past," he said.

Laws have also been passed giving police officers new powers to share information with their interstate colleagues.

Legislation allowing judge-only trials and majority jury verdicts was also approved, despite the Opposition voting against them.

Parliament also passed new laws the Government says clarify Queensland Health's arrangements with Mater Health Services in Brisbane.

The Mater operates three public hospitals and three private hospitals at South Brisbane.

Health Minister Stephen Robertson told the House that the Mater Hospitals play an important role in treating public patients.

"The Mater Public Health Services Bill has been developed to acknowledge the special relationship between Queensland Health and the Mater and the parties' commitment to maintain and enhance the relationship," he said.

"The Bill aims to achieve this by establishing a statutory framework for the arrangements between the parties about the delivery of public patient services."

Mayor considers airport private partnership

Mayor considers airport private partnership

The Mackay Mayor says he is interested in going into partnership with the private sector to buy the airport.

Col Meng says a deal would give council a steady stream of income and part control over its development.

The Queensland Government is planning to sell-off the Mackay Airport later this year to fund the $405 million hospital redevelopment.

Councillor Meng says council is prepared to go into debt to buy into the sale.

"On a small scale if we became a shareholder in one of those companies that purchased the airport, I would imagine it would give us a place on their board ... it is certainly something we've discussed in broad terms around the table at council," he said.

Let's hope the council does get on board. Canberra was sold to someone that is essentially a developer (anyone noticed all the office blocks around here?) and this has resulted in the demise of GA here. I sincerely hope this doesn't happen at these two airports as well.

Great they are going to sell off more potentially good income producing assets to prop up other sectors like hospitals. in the future when these facilities like hospitals need another injection of funds what will they sell off next? i am sure the same deveopers will line up to buy things like public schools and build blocks of flats and shopping centers in the playgrounds. i really don't understand why we go thru the voting process when the outcomeis ignored and they just go thru with the pre planned deal.

democracy, a nice thing to dream about.

don't forget to include the qld govt in tuesdays mass email

Structure.

Not having an upper house makes it easier to get away with this sort of thing. Our democracy is becoming an illusion. Switzerland (where I would NOT like to live,) has a lot of referendums to try to include the people.( The DEMOS, part of the word democracy) None of our polititians like the idea... Nev.

Guest basscheffers
Let's hope the council does get on board. Canberra was sold to someone that is essentially a developer (anyone noticed all the office blocks around here?) and this has resulted in the demise of GA here. I sincerely hope this doesn't happen at these two airports as well.

That would not guarantee anything - councils can be equally eager to sell off for development. That mayor could well be thinking: "Great, when they are under my control I can sell them off to my developer buddies at the golf club so they can give me a fat seat on the board after this gig is over - something I could never do with them being under state control."

Anything can happen, no matter who owns the place.

Guest High Plains Drifter

In todays Financial Review there is an article (13/09/08, Scott Elliot, pp 2) about towns that have low cost air connections attain higher real-estate prices when compared to simular towns with-out air services. its not all positive, though an interesting read all the same.