pilot weight

Guest dozer

Hope for the well rounded

Being a little on the round side myself I can tell you the Drifter I did some of my training in has a Max Pilot Wght label of 90 kgs.

My weight at the time and currently is 96 kgs. The a/c just needed a touch more back trim for straight and level flight .

Now i believe the other detrement of being nose heavy is the flare for landing and this Drifter handled this well .

Another point to mention is that school drifters are "factory built i.e. 24-**** " and as a result are build with heavier guage wires and other components. I'm sure others in this forum will know more about that than I.

Yep...luv those pies too.!:thumb_up:

Cheers

JimG

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Dozer,

The manual stipulates min. pilot weight 65 kg....max 95 kg....takeoff 450KG.

These figures relate to the strut braced aircraft.

I flew a certified 582 wire braced Drifter prior to switching to a 912 80 HP, and recall the max front seat at 94kg.

Having said that, I know of individuals who have taken TIF flights and whose weight is well over 100kg.

Cheers

JL

Dozer,

Some of the earlier Drifters (mine included) wire braced and 503 have a max front seat wieght of 92 kgs and MTOW of 400kgs. The critical thing in establishing the suitability of this aircraft for is to make sure you are within the parameters of the C of G ( which off the top of my head are Forward limit - 406 mm aft of datum and Rear limit - 533 mm aft of datum ) whilst sitting in the aircraft. You need to analyse this infomation to ascertain if the plane will perform or in fact be safe to fly. There are many Drifter pilots out there (myself included) (this is where I hang myself) (Pies and Ice coffee does it for me):ah_oh: who fudge on that placard limit. But I guarantee they are all within the C of G.

love them pies too !!!

hey guys, interesting thread considering my little problem

i'm currently 88kg dripping wet naked (please, no comments) and the WB582 i bought a lil while ago didn't have a trim tab, and i needed continual back stick

we added a trim tab (thanks Wayne) and i found i used a LOT of trim to maintain level flight

then we added a 1.5kg weight (scuba divers belt) to the tailwheel support and the result was a definite improvement but STILL i need some trim to maintain level flight at cruise

i will be taking the lil devil down to visit Wayne Fisher in Lismore soon for some running repairs, he'll be taking her for a spin and doing some weight/balance checks while we're there (it will probably be a Flying Tigers overnighter)

watch this space !!

boleropilot

ps

ya gotta love them tigers - i say i need to take my aircraft down to lismore for some work and they all say "yeah good one dave we'll all go with you - no point in going by yaself"

- how good is that ?

Boleropilot,

What Wayne Fisher doesn`t know about Drifters isn`t worth knowing however once you or Wayne determine that there is no serious structual cause for you problem and weight and ballance is correct remember that you can change the pitch of the aircraft by making adjustments to the horizontal stabilizer.

Cheers,

Frank.

bugger

yeah thanks Frank

i was hoping there may be some chance of a slight realignment of the horizontal stabiliser but of course i am still hoping to (somehow) get some of this lard off me gut !!!

btw, had a funny (NOT ha ha) thing happen to me on sunday - flew down to boonah to say hi to the tigers and was surprised at the lack of radio trans on the way - called inbound and got a call from the airsports tecnam asking me if i was aware of "strip conditions"

turns out the strip was virtually closed due to soggy patches - i ended up landing dry OK but hit a big wet patch during taxying - needed a fair bit of throttle to get through it but there was no real impact as such, but the Drifter got drenched from the mainwheels back

on the way back to roadvale i notice a low freq vibration through the pod, it reduced so i flew on to roadvale (two minutes away) and landed straight in - not sure if i stopped the wheels from spinning or not after takeoff so maybe that was the problem, it was a short takeoff on the dry runway available and a bit tight so maybe i forgot the "brakes ON during climbout" thingo

did a big post-flight inspection and found the main tailwheel support bracket broken, the break is in behind the little alloy bracket so you couldn't see the break, it was actually the funny angle of the tailwheel that made me look a lot closer in that area

wayne F is sending me replacements, i'm grounded until i get the new ones bolted on

cheers

bp

bp,

Have you considered moving the front seat back,just needs a couple of new holes,not realy legal if you`re concerned about certification,but it may just do it for you.

Cheers,

Frank.

• 1 month later...
Guest dengue

Yeah I was about 65kg when I first learnt to fly. My crusty old instructor was worried the drifter would go up and never come down!!!!! Crafty bugger rifled round' an old cane shed and came up with a nice flat bit of ballast that went right under the seat cover.

I wonder if It's still there???????

C.W. alias Dengue,

I`m so pleased you`ve made contact, when I read your first post,I reckoned it was someone who might have flown with me,the second one started me thinking of you but the 65kg had me thinking again,as I remember it, you were all of 55kg.

I`m glad you`re a member of this forum because appart from being able to catching up with you from time to time,I know you have a lot to offer others here, especialy the young guys and without mentioning your name or your dads name,I have used you as an example to try and motivate a couple of young guys on this forum,previously.

Fran and I went to see your mum and dad a while back and your dad told us about the new car you purchased and gave to them,pat yourself on the back,you did a great thing.

For those reading this, this guy started his flying career with me and holds the distinction of being the youngest person in Australia to obtain an AUF pilot certificate and then going on to become a commercial pilot flying for Quantas. :thumb_up:

If you don`t mind,please tell us all, the rating you hold and what you fly today.

Looking fordward to future posts from you.

Regards,

Frank. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Dengue.jpg.7b0228f9b99a8325d4681bb1d2530761.jpg

Dengue,

I thought you might like these photos to remember what it looked like.

I`ve recently refurbished the Drifter and this is what it looks like now.

Regards,

Frank.

1468884945_Drifter(Small).JPG.cee0fc451cc8ae77f80e3647daa88570.JPG

1350157897_SouthEastView.(Small).jpg.421198065587cd209d69fd91712ac730.jpg

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Farri,

Nice story re. CW, and what a beautiful spot to fly from....ideally suited to the uninterrupted views that the delightful Drifter provides.

What are the flying conditions like in your part of the world ?....EG wind, best time of day to fly....thermal activity etc. (just interested,not planning a sea change)

Does that hill in the background of your photo provide opportunities for some low powered ridge soaring ?

What prompted you to return to flying (my assumption) or had you continued to fly prior to refurbishing the Drifter.

How often are you flying now?

Cheers and lucky you.

JL

Guest dengue

G'day mate

Great to see you back in the air. Aeroplane looks great as does the view of Deeral. I think most of the QF guys don't believe me when i say I learnt to fly on a cane farm in NQ.

Currently living in melbourne flying 737's. (ballast no longer required) Must be 17 years since I last flew a drifter. Pioneer valley xmas fly-in perhaps???? However am seriously considering buying one and learning how to fly again. (Think I've found a good one too, might ask you for some help and advice with that later.) But still trying to decide if it's a hairbrain scheme.........

Have some time off in Feb and should be back in NQ for a few days. Will give you a call and perhaps come down to say g'day to you and Fran.

C

367238095_Picture255.jpg.84b6a54d3a29f87b8a428c5f586d0c7c.jpg

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi dengue and Farri,

Forgive me for cutting across your reunion (nice to see), however I am contemplating selling my superdrifter (Rotax 912)....simply put, the most immaculate in Australia....as new,and a fraction of the new price.....genuine health reasons.

Built by Wayne Fisher....he has all the info. Regrettably,age and pending vaguary.

Best wishes.

JL

G'day Dengue,

i recieved a 90 minute gift certificate in the Flight Experience 737 simulator for christmas, any tips on this. like where can i get a flight manual for it. i would lke to do some homework before i step into it. would really like to make the most of it.

Ozzie

Guest dengue

Gday JL

Shame you have to sell your drifter, I understand the wf912 drifters are v nice. Probably more grunt than I am after. Earlier model 503/582 is more my style.

Ozz

Depends what you are after, I suspect the flight sim guys would have the best info. The flight manual is very big and complex as you can imagine. I would suggest less information is more in this case. Concentrate on the basics, just has alot more inertia. Slightly different "flying" philosophy, thrust levers control speed elevators rate of climb or descent.

Enjoy

Hi dengue and Farri,Forgive me for cutting across your reunion (nice to see).

Best wishes.

JL

JL, No need for forgivness,mate,glad you`re interested,I`ve just got back from a beautifull flight,put the Drifter away,5 minutes to walk back to the house and I`m able to start writing this.

I fly the valley from Cairns to Innisfail, which,from the east and to the north of the mouth of the river has the Malbon Thompson range and to the south of the river is the Graham range,which is the hill you see (2132) feet high and the Bellenden Ker range is to the west.The valley in between is 5 nm wide and there`s also the Atherton Tablelands to the west of Bellenden Ker.(Dengue knows it well),no need to go anywhere else as it doesn`t get any better.

The flying conditions here vary as I suspect they do everywhere else and due to the lay of the land it can get quite turbulent in the valley when the wind comes from the SE at 15/20 kts and above ,which it does most of the year, but once over the hill, to the east it becomes a magic carpet ride due to the open ocean.Most calm is in the mornings to about 10 am and after 4 pm, however, I like it calm or rough and I get to do more flying this way.

The hill in the background is the Gramah range, and yes,when conditions are right I go ridge soaring on the east side of it and also on the north west side and I do what I call, "Areal Surfing " , where I just soar around working the face of the wind as the sea eagles do and I`ve actually flown around with them many times and from 500` above the peak,I can switch the engine off and glide back to my strip.

What prompeted me to return to flying? I never did stop,but not long after I stoped teaching, the Drifter needed a complete overhaul, so I dismantled it and put it away and because there was a Zenith 701 and an XAir housed here and owned by guys who`d got their pilots certificate with me and the agreement we had was that they could house their aircraft here and fly free of charge, and in return I got to fly their aircraft,I suppose I wasn`t in a hurry to work on the Drifter so it sat in the shed for 3 years untill I couldn`t stand it anymore,I hold a level 2, with no restrictions,to work on my aircraft.

And how often do I fly?, well I still suffer the flying disease and because I only have to walk 250 meters to the aircraft, it`s whenever I feel like it,weather permitting and so it`s very often.

Regards and All the best,

Frank.

Ps,If you get to Cairns any time and look me up, I`ll I take you flying if I can.

G'day mate, Must be 17 years since I last flew a drifter. Pioneer valley xmas fly-in perhaps???? However am seriously considering buying one and learning how to fly again. C

Hey C,

Was that when you were just 15 years of age and the XMas party fly-in when you flew the Drifter home solo and on arriving here,if I remember right,you told me you had taken 18 minutes,engine time,to do it and I said, "what,at best it takes me at least 35/40 minutes, how the hell did you do it in 18?"

You replied," I got up real high,switch the engine off and glided over the mountain,all the way back, when I was almost there and at about a 1000` I started the engine and flew in"

I won`t tell anyone what I said after that but hell I was proud of you,you got big ones, mate.:thumb_up:

Regards,

Frank.

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Farri,

Thanks for a terrific reply....I can visualise much of what you have written, and the thought of perhaps encountering a soaring sea eagle on the east side of the range

would be magic, not to mention the delightful visuals you must enjoy each flight.

Don't know I'd like to be enclosed in the Zenith, or to a lesser extent the XAir for too long...

Thanks also for the generous offer of sharing a flight shpuld I get to Cairns....could I also extend a similar offer should you visit the Hunter Valley....nice but not a patch on your patch.

As for C's '35 minute flight' with an engine time of 18 minutes, there must have been a good old breeze from the East which helped him to 10,000 ft off the mountain before switching off the engine....I wonder if his current flying facilitates the opportunity for occasional individual daring ?......what a great story.

Thanks again Frank

JL