Hello, My Name's Jodie flying out of Aldinga

Guest Pop-top

Guest Pop-top

Hello everyone 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Saw this website in the RA mag and thought I'd check out what it's all about. I've just hit 30 hours and am currently nav'ing around Murray Bridge, Goolwa, Strath and of course my little home base of Aldinga.

Have always had a life long dream to fly and I believe I'm only one of a few females at Aldinga which is a bit of a pity really. I moved here from Melbourne only a couple of years ago, so still finding my way round, settling in and meeting new people.

Learning all I can, as I'm sure many of us are, but it would be great to have fellow learners to chat too.

Thanks, Jodie

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Jodie!

I start soloing in that training area too as of next Sunday according to Wayne. Aldinga is a nice field and it is great for building up the constitution isn't it :-)

I see a female there every now and again but certainly not often. I am sort of hoping one of my daughters gets the flying bug so I won't be by myself all the time but I am only 18 hours myself so it will be a little while before I can take them up. I 'sort of hope' because if they do catch it they will want me to pay for it!

Steven.

Guest Pop-top

I flew with Wayne on Sunday Morning :) They are all great teachers, do you tend to stick with one? or fly with different Instructors?

So far I've flown with Wayne, Bonnie (while she was around), Ryan, Steve and Leo. But definitely a VERY welcoming culture they have going on down there. Most other airfields I visited tried to talk me out of flying which was very odd...

Never could get my parents to pay for my lessons though which is why it has taken me this long!

Heh. Sunday afternoon for me :-)

I mainly flew with Steve until soloing. Now it tends to be a mixture of Wayne, Leo and Ryan.

Talk you out of it? That does seem odd! Areyou looking at a career?

heh, being a gadget freak I always spent all my money on electronic toys, the great unanswered question, "how many laptops is enough?" :-). My gadget consumption has gone way down since starting to fly :-)

Steven.

Guest Maj Millard

Hi Jodie, yes always been a general lack of female pilots around, which is a shame. We had to import two kiwi girls to Townsville, to fly Chieftains for us. The oldest is 21 and they are both real capable pilots, with UL time also in thier log books. Welcome and enjoy ! 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Pop-top

I would love to make it into a career, but we'll see. Depends on money and much like Maj has commented most pilots in careers started when they are 16, Maj - you said the oldest of the 2 girls is now 21...very jealous. I would love to be working as a pilot with a great view from my "office" window. I cant wait until I'm allowed and skilled enough to fly the Super Decathlon :big_grin:.

I'm a very big fan of the Red Bull air race. So aerobatics and Instructing would be my dream. But for now I work at an ISP, so i can completely relate to spending all my money on gadgets!

Welcome Jodie, Aldinga airport is a great place to fly or drive to. They make great coffee and food in the cafe there. The place is always bustling. My 19 yo daughter is becoming inquisitve about learning to fly now..we need more enthusiastic females like yourself to show it is fun for all.

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks Jodie, flying is a great exercise for both mind and soul, enjoy it while you are able. If you ever get up Townsville way (very steamy right now) I'd be happy to intro you to our 21 yr old female Chieftain Drivers. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest pelorus32

Welcome Jodie,

the real secret is that women make better pilots than men. At least that's what my 17 year old daughter keeps telling me. She got her pilot certificate when she had just turned 17 and she's now doing her navs.

Good luck and welcome.

Regards

Mike

Guest Pop-top

LOL, it may have come across strangely, but I'm interested in getting to know some friends who will be interested in Flying...ummm... so in an effort to be polite about a possible misunderstanding; I'm interested in guys. But from the sounds of it Adam is already making his 10 miles inbound call and will be landing shortly for a visit and formal intro :big_grin:

Again, cant help but be jealous... 17 yrs old! my god that's a great accomplishment! Any one who's parents have given the support to get their children into flying are just fantastic in my books! :)

Hi Jodie,

If you are looking to meet "flying people" then why not pop over to Goolwa this Sunday -- around 12, for our flyers meeting/BBQ. We meet monthly and anyone interested in aviation is welcome -- from model aeroplanes to RAAus to GA or just interested in flying, everyone is welcome. This Sunday is our final one for the year and is free, so either fly or drive over. This Sunday the BBQ is in my hangar so just look for the people milling around, my Red Cobra will be out on the grass so impossible to miss.

Cheers

Peter

Guest Pop-top

Hi Peter, That sounds great :)

Unfortunately, I'm a bit tied up on Sunday. You mentioned this is the last for the year, when you have these gatherings do you usually advertise them on this forum? or elsewhere?

Now that I feel a bit more in the loop I'll try my best to drive over, Thank you!

Hi Jodie,

We meet once a month , usually the last sunday of the month -- given how busy everyone will be last sunday in december we have decided the next meeting will be in January. If you (or anyone else out there) would like to be on the email list drop me a note on [email protected]

Cheers

Peter

Guys, some advice if I may - when putting an email address in a post always disguise it in a way like this:

email me at "john at bigpond and .com.au"

I am sure we all know what it means but it also helps to stop the spammers from getting it through automated means now that the posts are open

Guest tonycee

Hi Jodie

Aldinga also has its own Aero Club - we meet on the 1st Sunday of each month for a BBQ, a chat, and some flying. We have our Xmas BBQ on Sunday the 7th December, so you could drop in and say hello from about mid-day if you are free.

I can't promise too many young pilots, but plenty of people that love flying. I have only had my RAA ticket for a year, and love flying around the Fleurieu, and really enjoy getting together with other pilots and hearing their experiences.

I'm sure the guys at Adelaide Biplanes can point you in the right direction to find us (but actually we are right next to their car park, so you should find us, even without your Nav endorsement :)

Tony

Sorry Phil,

email address should have been, using the moderators suggested format

lplovell at bigpond.com

had an excellent meeting today, 21 people. Would love to see you at our next meeting, or anytime

Cheers

Peter

Guest Pop-top

Hi Tony,

Thank you for the invite :) I shall try my best to make it down there! It's definitely easier for me to reach than Goolwa, however I may still make a drive down there and check that one out too.

Here's another question for anyone who can help me out; are there any jobs/careers available in the aviation industry that I could work towards while the possibility of being a pilot or Instructor is so far away?

032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif

• 2 weeks later...