FLYING INTO AVALON AIRSHOW IN MARCH

Captain

Those of you who are considering flying into the Avalon Airshow in March will have had a look at the new regs for RAA aircraft .... as on the Airshow website.

My particular concern was with missing slots on the way in or out due to weather, or being stuck there at the end for the same reason, or for those of us why are flying a long way and need to sneak in late-ish in the day.

I have been talking with the organisers and they have advised the following reply which I thought might be of interest to some forum members.

Mick has suggested that if any of you have any questions, feel free to give him a call or an email. He is a pleasure to deal with.

Hope you find this of use.

Regards Geoff

Geoff,

Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you.

Regarding the new restrictions - it’s not quite as bad as it seems. Whilst CASA require us to provide details of all non-VH registered aircraft, for authorising operation in controlled airspace, it really doesn’t matter if you cannot make your designated ‘slot’ time. If delayed, just let us know by e-mail or phone and we will re-schedule you at a time to suit both parties.

Having looked at a picture of your rather ‘sexy’ aircraft type (and having been with us in 2005), could you advise us what assistance you had/require from us to transit from your landing position to the static park; e.g. wing walkers etc. I can then put the information on your file once fully registered.

Once again, if I can be of any further help please don’t hesitate to call.

Regards

Mick

Mick Jennings

Aircraft Operations

Avalon 2009

Australian International Airshow & Aerospace Defence Exposition

PO Box 4095

GEELONG VIC 3220

Telephone: +61 3-5282 0543

Facsimile: +61 3-52823 4455

Mobile: +61 (0)4484 85692

Email: [email protected]

Email: [email protected]

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Ian

I have just been reading thru the Avalon AirShow website and 2 important things came to light.

1 As of today there is just 75 days to go. Not long, eh?

2 If you go to the Flying In section and then Avalon east they have a great shot of your 24-4848 CTSW on final and also showing the Rec Flying Logo. Is that you in it or was that on one of the display flights?

Regards Geoff

PS It also looks like the foreshadowed arrival and departure restrictions have been dropped and the procedure will be the same as it was in 2007. Is that how others read it?

Can anyone suggest what is the best way to approach Avalon under the steps and over the Great Divide when approaching from the NW.

My preliminary thinking is to track Wagga, Shepparton, west of the Pucka restricted space and I thought I might then grab a splash of fuel in Ballarat before heading in to join the Avalon procedures ....... or is it easier to just sneak in over Kyneton?

What is the Divide like around there? Is it Tigerish or OK to slide thru over the hills up to about 2800 and under the step at 4500?

Which way do you go down from Chuca, BigPete?

Guest pelorus32
Can anyone suggest what is the best way to approach Avalon under the steps and over the Great Divide when approaching from the NW.My preliminary thinking is to track Wagga, Shepparton, west of the Pucka restricted space and I thought I might then grab a splash of fuel in Ballarat before heading in to join the Avalon procedures ....... or is it easier to just sneak in over Kyneton?

What is the Divide like around there? Is it Tigerish or OK to slide thru over the hills up to about 2800 and under the step at 4500?

Which way do you go down from Chuca, BigPete?

G'day Captain,

depends what you're into. If you are going into Shep you could track south over Mangalore - east of the restricted area and then on down through the gap. Then once through the gap just track around under the northern edge of the steps to - take your choice Bacchus Marsh, Lethbridge, Riddells Creek. That's not the most direct but it is the least tigerish.

Also if you are planning to arrive via the Prisons then it sets you up nicely for that.

Otherwise Shep to Kyneton isn't tigerish, though Kyneton onwards is a little.

Tracking round the north side under the steps gives a nice view of the world.

If you are planning to arrive via Point Cook then that way is also probably good - pop out at Williamstown and track coastal.

What day are you planning to arrive? Pop into the display and say hello.

Regards

Mike