Drifter Driving Coastal Saturday 7th October

Guest Fred Bear

Guest Fred Bear

Hello all,

Sunny and I will be venturing out in the Drifter tomorrow from The Oaks departing around 10-10.30 am and heading South down towards Kiama with maybe a visit back to Wedderburn on our return. Should make for some interesting pics to post up here tomorrow and about a 2.5-3hr flight. Weather is looking at being great (fingers crossed). Stay tuned for a report and pics! :)

Guest Fred Bear

Well here's the report and some piccies after a magnificent flight!:) Departed The Oaks at around lunch time tracking to the SE over the top of Bulli Pass then turning toward the South over down town Wollongong then further South to Kiama. Over the blowhole (which was not blowing) for a couple of orbits. I reakon nothing beats a coastal flight in the Drifter! Plenty of activity on the beaches (even some hang gliding near Flagstaff Point). Also observed were many games of cricket and even some beach volleyball!:) Silky smooth flight conditions over the coast but a little bumpy on the return. Nothing we can't handle eh Sunny? Passing over the escarpment over Bulli visible down below at the Panorama Restaurant was a bright yellow chopper going for one of their $600 lunch/flight do's. Returned to The Oaks some 2hrs 10min later. Thanks to Sunny for the wonderful flight and for the fly I had of his beloved "Bird". (That's really what she's called by the way). Enjoy the pics below!

Guest Fred Bear

Some video I took from my camera here:

No sound on this one though and quality is not 100% but you will get the idea.

G'Day Darren,

Didn't know you were going that way as we at SRFC went down to Jaspers for their monthly BBQ, you could have come!

We left about 11:00 and flew down via Mittagong to Robinson, with a return up the coast then past Wedderburn.

The flight included the Cheetah, 2 LightWings, a Sapphire and a Supa-Pup.

Got a link to Google Video of me flying back. 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Arthur.

20061008_083007_Jaspers.jpg.79621670ef9283cd8239fd1b15fc5a25.jpg

Guest Fred Bear

Hey Arthur. Love the wave in the video!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Looks like some territory that we flew over. I think you guys were back before Sunny and I flew back in. Went for a fly with Garry in the Cheetah during the morning and he did mention it. I was saying to Sunny that we might have had a problem getting MOGAS there at Jaspers?? Don't you have to call the night before to get it there? I will make the next one then. I heard it's good. I went for a trip in the Lambada with Gerry down there some time ago and did enjoy the facilities that they had there.

Guest Fred Bear

Clem,

There is NO CRACK whatsoever in this aircraft. A little paint flaking which may look like it in the pic. Sunny is so anal about his aircraft it's not funny or I would not fly in it. Thanks for the concern.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Darren.

I went to some of the places you have on film a bit later and was it cold. I called at The Oaks on 20 and 21 October but there was only the CFI from your opposition there, Andy I think but may be wrong. He was doing circuits on the Saturday am so I missed you and Sunny although I did have a good look in the hangaar. Would like to get my hands on the Tiger Moth. The weather was not very good and the RAAF had there open day then.

The bright spot was as we were setting up camp at Oakdale a spitfire did a 360 just about centred on us, sounded great. We were visiting places we had lived at in the sixties and havn't they changed.

Ian.

Guest Fred Bear

Nice one Ian.Sorry we missed you.I think you may have seen Arthur.He's incharge of the joint next door.Ha ha.You will find that he is also quite inviting.Will also give you a cuppa and a chat (as most nice folk at The Oaks). Maybe next time?