My First Big Nav (What a Washout)

Adrian Lewer

The issue with the caravan parked across the E-W strip has a long story behind it involving parachute ops & all sorts of stupidity. Hopefully this situation is shortly to be resolved, following which the airfield will expand, hopefully. :thumb_up:. I am sure you don't need to phone prior. Barbara does prefer people to use radio, but I used to operate without radio for a short time early in my flying career. Feel naked without one now. Just be aware that there is a parallel strip just to the East of 17/35. This is not to be used & was put in without council approval & is connected with the aforesaid stupidity:exclamation: Hope to catch you there one day.

Rgds Pete

Hi Adrian.

Congrats on posting your experience.

To add to the positive remarks/offerings of all respondents, I would just like to add a few comments of my own:

1. Am very glad that you made a conscious decision to look after yourself and Craig first. A lot of disasters have occurred when decisions have been made to cater for commercial or personal reasons raised by others.

2. While you were heading East, you were actually outrunning the weather rapidly approaching YBLT, thus giving a false impression that wx was improving. T/planner’s first post relates to this.

3. I fully endorse Big Pete’s & Pete Wood’s comments re Barwon Heads.

4. Also glad you got the Gazelle under cover. Don’t be in any hurry to get back to YBLT until the weather is good.

Great photos. What’s the white a/c in post 26?

Regards, Decca.

hi decca, the ACFT in post 26 is the tecnam S which i dare say you know. it is the ACFT i done my navs in cruise at 100-105 Kts... Bit better than 70Kts in the Gazelle :) . after landing i overshot the Taxiway on purpose to let this beautiful baby out to taxi as i vacated the RWY. what a sight it was.

found the Gazelle a bit different to fly but more hands on than the Tecnam and Jab's obviously due to the drag Etc. We opened the doors for a couple of pics but closed them due to the cold WX.

Wish i had some money to offer Ian for it, it is honestly a great little plane just needs a little love every now and then...

I knew i was outrunning the WX but was planning to be back before the TEMPO but got to sidetracked, i am honestly saying it was not to hard to do..... on the way back all i could do was say to myself (Ian is gonna shoot me) over and over again. oh yeah when i arrived at Tyabb they remembered the plane (oh this plane use to be here ) was what i got...

I am not in a hurry to get her home now she is under cover. i was going to get an aircraft trailer(good to have friends with these sort of things) and transport her back to YBLT or YLED to get her under cover the next day but the kind guys at YGLG put her in a workshop for me wings Extended. (not going to want to see the bill they give me for hangarage