Best loungeroom practise for Navs??

seb7701

People, I would love to hear a few ideas as to the best way to prepare for my up and coming Nav endorsement from the comfort of my loungeroom.

Aside from plotting some routes on the chart, performing the necessary heading adjustments etc to prepare the final headings and flight plan with fuel calcs etc, what else should I be doing in order to be as prepared as I can be to keep the required flight hours down?

All ideas appreciated!

Guest Ken deVos
... Aside from plotting some routes on the chart, performing the necessary heading adjustments etc to prepare the final headings and flight plan with fuel calcs etc, what else should I be doing ...

Prepare yourself for a diversion at any point in the flight plan.

Fly your plan 'on the couch' but get someone to randomly call 'diversion due to weather' and to make it more interesting :devil:, they could hide your plotter, pencil or wizwheel for say five minutes until you have approximated your heading and ETI etc.

Other than the "in cockpit" stuff, consider what information is available to you before you even get in the cockpit to make yourself more familiar with what you're planning...use Google Earth or similar to visulise or fly the route before you leave your loungeroom,identify major landmarks, waypoints, alternates etc. by visualising them on the ground you'll have a better idea of what you should be looking for when you're in the air. It can also help with planning better routes as charts are only so good at representing reality.