'Yall ...

Guest DBT

Hello.

I've recently discovered this forum, having spent the best part of the holidays researching recreational aviation.

I've got about 15 hours logged GA SPL, from 4.5 years ago. Due financial and other issues, flying was shelved for a few years.

Having been warned back then by my GA CFI that to mount an ultralight means certain death, I've only recently taken a serious look at RA operations. I must say I am impressed.

Anyhoo, I'm tossing up between YCNK and YWVA for a training base, as I am close to both.

Hope to meet many of you and thanks in advance for all the advice I know I will find here.

Dave.

Hi Dave

Make sure you come to NATFLY 2009 as part of your research. You will see that the RA-Aus organisation is absolutely proffesional with safety at the forefront and quality aircraft and training througout!

Have fun and be safe

Ed

True Story.

Hello,Having been warned back then by my GA CFI that to mount an ultralight means certain death, I've only recently taken a serious look at RA operations. I must say I am impressed.Dave.

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Dave,

I`m a true Ultralight Pilot,started flying them back 25 years ago and have flown many different types from the Wheeler Scout to the Zenith 701,the Lightwing and something I called a Garden Chair with a wing, tail and something that looked like a motor on it,to name just a few.

I started the Ultralight movement in the Cairns area of far north Queensland, just after Austflight Aviation got their wire braced,twin seat,twin control,Drifter certified for dual instruction and I have owned one since that time and continue to fly it regularly.

Because at first it was a novility I would dismantle it and take it to one of the major shoping centers in Cairns then reassemble it for static public display and sit in it and answer questions from anyone who came along.

One day this guy stopped,looked me straight in the eye and with a smart arsed grin on his face,said, " You`re going to die ".

I looked him straight back in the eye and with much the same grin,replied," So are you ", he couldn`t come up with anything better so he just walked away.

I don`t know if that guy is still alive but I do know that I still am and I have never so much as got a single scratch in one of these aircraft.

Regards,

Frank.

Thanks for the welcome.

I am sure it is safe, otherwise I wouldn't go there.

So ... I made some calls.

First flight is this Sunday! :thumb_up:

Aparently I'm flying in something made of ... wood. :raise_eyebrow:

Wouldn't be a Mosquito wood it DBT? Don't rubbish the material mate, it's been around a lot longer than steel, alloys and plastics. And what's the old saying for good luck, 'knock on wood' It's as safe as all the others, just heavier. Safe flying mate, and have fun.

G'day Doug,

It's a Pioneer 200.

Not sure what the "200" means. I suspect it's not Vno. :big_grin:

While I am trying to be open minded, I heard that Bill Whitney doesn't like wood.

I wonder what car he drives ... a Volvo or a Merc?

Pioneer 200.

It's just a model number. They are italian, and if you don't like the way it flys you are hard to please. Go for it. Dunno what Bill drives, probably not a Franklin (yes the same as the aeroplane engines). It has a hickory chassis.

I think what Bill does not like about wood is getting consistency/uniformity in it, as far as calculating required sections. The Pioneers are very modern aeroplanes.. Nev..

Low wing

I found some pics and their local website.

Looks good. But I've never flown a low wing before.

Worse: I can't find any POH on line. After spending the last week reading about Jabirus, I feel a little ... unprepared. :confused: