Noseleg bracket

ianboag

My J200 had the original (fibreglass) bracket for the noseleg. It has just cracked for the third time. I probably land too heavy and maybe the repairs weren't all that great. Whatever.

Anyway I'm looking to replace it with the ally one used in the new nosegear kits. Jabiru tell me it can be done - I'm just curious to know if anyone else has done it and has any useful comments.

Ian, I posted this same question a few weeks ago, so far no replies, so here's my opinion....

The bracket is hard to inspect properly, you have done a good job in detecting cracks before they cause a failure. Now the costs of a failure are very high.

The factory says the fibreglass one is ok, and the first Jab based at Gawler had one for thousands of student landings without a problem. On the other hand, the RAAus incident reports have had failures reported, at least one claiming that the landing had been good.

I don't like the argument that the bracket should fail in order to protect the firewall, so I reckon its a good idea to change to the alloy bracket.

Bruce

Hi,

The flight school i go to had the same problem and got the alloy one last June from Jabiru and it works fine. I gave it a good workout yesterday with a couple of heavy landings and it survived, ha, ha.

Bob.