Significant changes to ultralight operations at Avalon Airshow 2009

Admin

Sorry to appear so dumb. BUT if I read this correctly then RAA registered aircraft operating without a transponder are excluded from participating in the Avalaon Airshow? I have NO transponder, so can I or can't I?......G

Any aircraft (GA or otherwise) can receive an excemption to operate in CTA without a transponder (usually by contacting AirServices prior - 1 hour from memory). So if the organisers haven't organised this for you it should only take a couple of calls to sort out.

This instance is a little tricky though as it's via a NOTAM and not permanant.

Certainly worth a few calls being made to the organisers!

This is a copy of the NOTAM.

A) YAM

B) 0901 xxxxxx

C) 0903 zzzzzz

D) HJ - EXCEPT WHEN YMAV CLASS C AIRSPACE IS ACTIVATED BY NOTAM.

E) TEMPO RESTRICTED AREA IS ESTABLISHED WITHIN THE LATERAL AND VERTICAL LIMITS OF THE EXISTING AVALON CONTROL ZONE AND AVALON CONTROL AREA FOR THE PROTECTION OF PUBLIC TRANSPORT SERVICES

LATERAL AND VERTICAL LIMITS: AS DEPICTED ON THE MELBOURNE VISUAL TERMINAL CHART AND TERMINAL AREA CHART (TAC-3) AS AVALON CTR AND AVALON C AIRSPACE.

CONDITIONS FOR OPR IN THE TRA: ALL ACFT OPR IN THE TRA MUST;

- BE EQUIPPED WITH A SERVICEABLE MODE A/C TRANSPONDER,

- SELECT TRANSPONDER ON MODE A/C,

- BE EQUIPPED WITH A SERVICEABLE VHF RADIO,

- COMPLY WITH RADIO BROADCAST REQUIREMENTS FOR A NON-CONTROLLED AERODROME DESIGNATED UNDER CAR 166A IAW AIP ENR 1.1- 43 44

CA/GRS OPR DAILY BETWEEN 0730-1230 AND 1330-1600 LOCAL ON 120.1MHZ (AV CTAF).

THIS AIRSPACE IS NOT CONTROLLED AIRSPACE AS PER AIP ENR 1.1 PARA 3.1, THEREFORE CLEARANCE TO ENTER AND OPERATE WITHIN THE AIRSPACE IS NOT REQUIRED.

CLASS G AIRSPACE PROCEDURES APPLY. CLASS G DTI SVC AVBL IAW AIP GEN 3.3 PARAS 2.15 2.16. WI 30NM YMML FM ML RADAR FREQ 135.7 MHZ: BEYOND 30NM YMML FM ML CEN FREQ 126.8

CONTROLLING AUTHORITY: CIVIL AVIATION SAFETY AUTHORITY CTC: 02 62171177

DRAFT

Amendment

Please note that this is an amendment to the first post in the thread:

January 13, 2009: Significant changes to ultralight operations at Avalon from January 11 until March 5

Effective January 11 the Office of Airspace Regulation (OAR) have placed a Temporary Restricted Area (TRA) around Avalon. This effectively means that between today and March 5, 2009 there will be a TRA the size of the Avalon airspace. We have been granted access to the TRA from OAR, however ultralights must have a mode A/C transponder and VHF radio to enter the class G area. The change is explained in an airspace briefing. Class C will also be activated at published times at Avalon, so it is not just as simple as switching the transponder on and flying through.

In addition pilots of Recreational Aircraft intending to visit Airshow 2009 are required to register by February 10, irrespective of whether they seek to use either Avalon Main or Avalon East.

RA-Aus aircraft movements are limited to specific times on nominated days, with arrivals early morning and departures late afternoon to avoid periods of peak traffic. Requests for Recreational Aircraft pilots to be granted permission to operate are to be lodged with the Airshow organizers no later than 10 February 2009.

The Airshow organizers will provide a consolidated list of all intending ultralight operations to CASA to obtain a “General Approval†for participants. Pilot and aircraft information required by CASA to consider an approval includes the following (which is to be provided separately to the Airshow organizers when requested to do so):

Pilots name

Details of licenses held

Aircraft type and registration markings

Aircraft equipment fit – radio/transponder

Intended arrival and departure dates and times Full information is available on the Airshow website at www.airshow.net.au/avalon2009/flying-in/register.asp

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted :- Information, not conjecture

Yeah, all very well, but if you want to attend you can......restricted area or not. You DO NOT need a transponder. Don't let anyone tell you different....See my post in General Discussion...

Guest The Bushman

Re Avalon

This one coming 2009 will be my 4th entry into Avalon as a Raa pilot as I have pre booked can see no changers from last year and I still Don,t have a transponder remember most vintage Aircraft Don,t even have a power supply so no tranponder the vintage aircraft and the likes of Raa Pilots and Aircraft help make up the numbers

you need to pre-book before Feb 10 It think so just go to there web site and log on to Flying in section

The bushman:rotary:036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif