USA | 1

Vanuatu | 1

VIC | 1380

WA | 284

Yugoslavia | 2

(33 rows)

Guest Brooksy

Wow!!

One thing that does stand out, Queensland residents have too much spare time on their hands.

Unbelievable!

Thamks Howard

I think another thing that stands out is that we really do need to

promote ultralight flying a bit more in WA and SA when you compare the

numbers to the population in each of the states!

Hey... What's

this about us Queenslanders having 'too much spare time'... arr just a

moment.. had to get another tinny from the esky, now back to this

debate about... err wait a bit... could not trype with hands full of

mud crab meat... Ok, moving in for the kill over us having too much

time... oops! hold it, just a bit more sun tan lotion their thanks

young lady.. oh an what say a another round of oysters eh!... And it's 24.5 degree's just a the momnet and not a cloud to be seen here at Stradbroke Island's pub

(Sorry, could not resist )

Cheers 'team',

Rodger

Guest Brooksy

Great response Rodger

Us

down here in New South are too busy

Queensland =

What Ian says is quite pertinant as well, perhaps we should be promoting "Recreational Aviating" in WA & SA more.

What do they do there for fun?

• 3 weeks later...

( I think another thing that stands out is that we really do need to promote ultralight flying a bit more in WA and SA when you compare the numbers to the population in each of the states! )

Hi Ian

When you are on the RA-Aus board and want to promote recreational flying growth in SA, count on me to help you. Meanwhile i will keep on flying until the Sun goes down! http://www.mblafs.com.au

Regards

Ed

(What Ian says is quite pertinant as well, perhaps we should be promoting "Recreational Aviating" in WA & SA more.

What do they do there for fun?)

Hi Brooksy

I know i am a bit slow being west of the Mexican Border, but it took a while to figure out "some" of your Emoticons...! :laugh:As for what do we do for fun? Well, of coarse we just go flying! We think we are doing our bit to encourage and introduce others to realizing their dreams, but if you have any ideas and can pass on any special tips to help us it would be appreciated. :big_grin:We are busy just like in NSW BUT we make time!

smiley38.gif

Best Regards

Ed

• 1 year later...

Hi Ian.

Since my arrival in WA 2.5 yrs ago. The number of flying schools have risen from 3 initially, to about "10". Inclusive of GA flying schools sporting qualified RA-Aus instructors which is great to see, as the ultralight flying fraternaty in WA were very limited in finding suitable schools for continuation training and bi-annuals. It will take some time to build up the numbers of active flying members and get a strong support going. One person comes to mind who lives not to far from where I am and runs a club (no membership fees, no Presidents, Secretary or Treasurer) called the Gadabouters. They sport flyaway's at long weekend and have BBQ's camping, bring the family dogs cats kids swags amber liquid in an esky and enjoy a few singsongs yarn telling hangar flying and tall tales that will curl your hair. See (Hyden Fly-in) RA-Aus mag some time ago. Really good to see that the numbers in WA are picking up.

Cheers.

Steve

Guest Andys@coffs

Its interesting looking at some of these older threads, for example the inference is that ultralights are lagging in SA. I did some googling at the ABS to pick up the current state populations to test this theory and then did a calculation to show the number of RAA pilots per 10k state residents. What you would have expected to see is perhaps quite different to what reality is. Seems we need to focus on the 2 biggest states, being NSW and Vic. My untested gut feel is that it relates to the cost of living, I think NSW and Vic probably top the cost of living statewise and that reflects in the left over $ that can be applied to recreation.

State ......Pop .............RAA pilots ........Ratio per 10k residents

WA...... 2,100,000..... 284 ..................1.4

NSW ....6,900,000 ....1638 ..................2.4

VIC ......5,100,000 ....1380 ..................2.7

SA .......1,600,000 ......585 .................3.7

ACT ........300,000 ......121 .................4.0

TAS ........500,000 ......202 .................4.0

QLD ......4,100,000 ....1771 .................4.3

NT ..........200,000 ......118 .................5.9

Andy

Guest pelorus32

Nice data Andy,

I sort of ran through options in my mind:

Is it "rurality" - in other words more open spaces = more a/c proportionally? No because how do you explain ACT vs WA (other than all the RAAus staff in ACT ;-))

Well maybe it's weather related - the warmer the better? Again no because of the WA/TAS anomaly and that godforsaken place the ACT where it's always cold.

Maybe it's where the distributors/manufacturers focus themselves? Maybe that explains Qld with several of the distributors plus Jabiru. But it doesn't explain the NT.

At the end it is probably a complex range of variables. Rurality for the Territory, distance from distributors etc for WA, pioneering spirit in Tassie ;-).....

Regards

Mike

Guest Flyer40

Good work Andy. If the RAA pilot ratio is a reflection of the cost of living then I'm moving to NT. I think you are right about the cost of living. In typical NSW fashion I have a huge mortgage and I have noticed that my flying hours are decreasing in direct proportion to increasing interest rates.

To add to your point Mike, the single biggest discouraging factor to aircraft ownership, for me, is the cost and availability of somewhere to keep it. Real estate prices, residential development and noise complaints are squeezing personal aircraft out of the Sydney basin and beyond. If Jaspers Brush and Goulburn aren't safe then what does the future hold? Think I will move to NT.

Sydney has a huge population of potential flyers who have done their research and now own a nice boat. This trend will continue unless aviation in the Sydney area becomes more accessible.

Guest pelorus32

Household disposable income by State for 2005-2006 (latest)

NSW - 30229

VIC - 30008

QLD - 26704

SA - 27237

WA - 29017

TAS - 25003

NT - 30458

ACT - 45382

AUST - 29257

I haven't got time to do the analysis now, but on the face of it it doesn't seem to be the relevant variable. Also look at the disposable income in the ACT!

I'm inclined towards the "accessibility" argument of flyer and Chris.

Regards

Mike

I also believe it to be a combination of factors. Existing clubs and schools are vital in attracting people, as are existing pilots. The more people meet and talk to existing pilots, the more interested they become in pursing flight themselves. (How do you tell a pilot at a party? He'll tell you.)

Disposable income, rurality (great word), weather, places to fly - are all important.

The ACT has all of this and the figures reflect that. Despite what Mike may tell you, Canberra has beautful weather all year, ranging from very cold to very hot, but the coldest mornings usually turn into clear blue sky days. Strange having a Melbournite claiming somewhere else is cold ;) (I grew up there - incompletely).

It is also very rural. The ruralest city in the country I'd say.

The NT may be higher because of the outback factor. Great distances breed aviation. Same goes for Queensland.

So - WA needs more airfields and more flyers to get the ball rolling.

Ramblingly,

Ross

Hi Andy.

Very interesting stats. As my place of abode now is in WA, it is of course a interesting subject indeed. Before "I" we (family wished) to move to WA. We were living in S E Queensland, living in a semi rural section for the better part 20 yrs, early 1990, the ultralighting scene was very popular and people would travel fairly great distances to obtain quality training. Over the following 15 or so yrs it was busy and rewarding, after that it appeared to slacken off somewhat. Result, less training and students. So from being full on, to maybe 2 or 3 trainees made me think about saturation levels. Maybe the population found closer, or better, training facilities?

We had people come over to Qld. from W.A. for training. And having been informed by one of those trainees, that there were very few qualified people over in the west. We, the wife and myself, had to go and see for ourselves. The place was wide open for dedicated and motivated people, still is. When we moved over to WA the whole ultralight scene appeared to have "stagnated" somewhat. There were a few clubs and schools going but not a great deal else. We came across a few dedicated people and encouraged them to keep going. We settled over in the west and are really having the time of our lives. Of course we have our usual hassles as we had in Qld. But seeing WA ultralights going ahead full steam is great to see as they are a great bunch of guys.

Thanks Andy for the stats, as they show a great improvement.

Cheers.

Steve

we over here in kambalda are doing some thing about it in the three months the red hill recreational aviators have been going we have 12 students learning to fly very shortly we will be flying all over the place

Hi kfowler.

Great to see there are some members over this side of our patch. There are some more members over towards Perth. Magic to see that ultralighting is stepping up over here in the west. Pardon my ignorance, as I am reasonably new to WA, and have not had the time nor the ability to travel around much in this beautiful part of our state, But ??? in which direction would I have to look to see Kambalda. Looked at some of the road maps (but no find). The mention of the, "Red Hills*? points towards the NE from Perth but distance and districts elude me at the moment it is great to have someone closer to be able to interact with as I've said earlier there are a great bunch of people over here all loving their ultralighting. It is very pleasing to hear that there are another 12 students (shortly) to take up aviating.

When ready to take the plunge and travel to the big smoke, please advice and we will roll out the (symbolic) red carpet.

Magic stuff.

Cheers.

Steve

Kambalda

Hi Steve

Did a google search of Kambalda wa to find this

Kambalda

A mining town surrounded by desert.

Located 56 km south-east of Kalgoorlie-Boulder, 74 km from Coolgardie, 616 km east of Perth and 309 m above sea-level, Kambalda is a mining town which is divided into two very different sections - Kambalda East (built 1967-73) and Kambalda West (1969-75). Both townships have the artificial feel of mining towns which have been laid out carefully on the landscape and with the uniformity of mining town architecture. A determination to keep as much native flora as possible gives them an appeal which is lacking from many similar towns.

Regards

And having been informed by one of those trainees, that there were very few qualified people over in the west.

Steve, it was not just the quantity, it was also the quality. I have been in the circuit with your students more than once, and the standard of airmanship exhibited is exemplary, I honestly cannot say the same for some of your predecessors. And Steve, did that Skyfox of yours once live at Jandakot on a VH reg ?

Could the greater number of pilots in Qld have anything to do with the fact that a lot of Southerners retire to Qld. They have the time and as housing is cheaper in Qld they also have the money.

Personally I came North to work in the mid sixties and never wanted to go back.