Fraser Island getaway...not the QLD one

Matt

Firstly - WOW, what a weekend!

Kaz and I were invited to join friends (some old and some new) at Fraser Isand near Lakes Entrance in Victoria for the Australia Day weekend. Fraser Island is a homestead "resort" with a big old homestead which sleeps about 40 people and has a golf course with fairways placed to create a runway...as the first pic shows

The journey started on Saturday morning with the plan to depart Kyneton, head down towards Geelong then along the coast to Lakes Entrance. That plan changed with the weather - a very strong south westerly blowing 25-35 knots. Our companions from Kyneton in an Auster and Searey departed first with a plan to track to Barwon Heads then round the bay to meet up at Tyabb where the majority of the gang were departing from. We departed about 15 minutes after our "slower" friends and within 10 minutes we were closing fast on them heading into a considerable headwind - their groundspeed showing about 60kts, ours 100. Within short time we had overtaken them and decided we'd head to Tyabb as well and meet the gang there.

Thankfully by the time we hit Geelong and turned east, our 25 knot headwind became a tailwind and we had a speedy trip across to Tyabb where the wind was blowing strong...right across the strip of course. A call to our travelling companions to give them conditions and they decided to skip Tyabb and head straight for our destination...now with the benefit of a good tailwind.

We continued into Tyabb to meet up with the gang there. After a bit of lunch we all packed up and headed off - we led the procession which included a Winjeel, Cessna 180 and a couple of Austers. The Winjeel and 180 joined us "in company" as we all had the same airspeed, despite 3 very different airframes and engines.

On route to Fraser Island we got a local weather update from our "man on the ground"...where the weather wasn't looking good for us "heavies" to land - 25knot crosswind on the main strip (which suffers pretty bad windshear and turbulence from the trees - as per the first pic above) and the shorter cross strip was reduced in length (to about 250m) due to being covered in water at one end. After a bit of discussion we decided to head to Bairnsdale instead and make a further assessment from there. Our friends from Kyneton heard all this and decided to head to Bairnsdale as well, while the 2 Austers from Tyabb would try their luck on the shorter short strip - one Auster had already landed with the wind straight down the strip and needed very little landing roll.

Overflying Bairnsdale the windsock was solid straight down the SW runway and our groundspeed indicated the wind at about 30knots as we joined circuit...a very fast downwind preceded a very slow approach and final and over the fence with a groundspeed of about 45 knots...airspeed was indicating 75. Probably one of the strongest winds I've landed in and made for one of the smoothest landings and shortest ground rolls I've experienced in the CT4...reminded me of the old Sportstar days 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

One by one the various aircraft landed and fought the strong crosswind while taxying to the parking area - some left hand brakes were very warm by the end of that! Soon after we got a call from our man on the ground at Fraser letting us know the 2 Austers got in on the short strip after a couple of attempts and plans were made to arrange some cars to come and collect us from Bairnsdale. We'd be travelling the last 15nm by car and boat...a trip that took nearly 3 hours compared to a 10 minute flight!

After an evening of great discussion, food and a few quiet beverages, it was time to return to Bairnsdale to collect all the aircraft we abandoned there. The weather on Sunday morning was perfect, not a cloud in the sky and a sea breeze of about 5 knots. I got a lift over for my first ride in an Auster and while it was a short trip, I enjoyed the simplicity of controls and instruments, the real "stick and rudder" flying and hanging my elbow out the window while cruising over the lakes and beaches at 500 feet.

After the usual daily inspection, I took off for the quick trip back to Fraser Island to attempt a landing on the tree-lined runway...I mean fairway. Approaching the island at 1000 feet the whole place looked far too small to land on. I descended to 500' for my first pass of the strip to get an idea of the approach path to take - the approach is over a tree-lined ridge then over the water then a few bushes at the end of the strip. Another pass at 250' and I noted a bit of turbulence but nothing out of the ordinary so I flew round for a final 50' pass...the turbulence was a little more pronounced but that didn't get my attention - trees on both sides above me got my attention! A final circuit and a slightly bumpy landing followed as I braked gently on the sandy curving strip...one of the most interesting places I've ever landed I think. Here's a couple of pics of others on or over the strip.

The rest of the weekend was spent playing golf, cricket, walking around the island, telling "war stories" and getting to know some of our new friends...and their aircraft

A nice collection of Austers...and a beautiful example of a Cessna 140

A runway with less obstructions

The view lining up the fairway

For those planning on heading to the AAAA Airshow at Echuca in April - all of these aircraft will be attending...and many more like them.

Nice report and pics. I have often wondered how good the strip is there. It looks a bit average on some occasions. Did you see the 4 other strips nearby?

thanks Brent. I can imagine the strip getting very rough and boggy, being sand and that close to sea level. I did notice quite a few strips nearby, one was marked with crosses, the others looked pretty good though. It's a lovely spot for flying when the weather is nice, 90 mile beach makes a perfect line feature for aerobatics!