Quicksilver GT500

shafs64

Guest Maj Millard

Never flown the GT 500 but I soloed in a GT 400, and continued to fly them a bit. The 500 originally came out with a 582 and I think they were a bit of a dog with that engine, being a bit on the heavy side, especially 2 up.

With a 912 aboard, they should be fine. Eipper/Quicksilver products have been around a long time now, and are produced in California at Temecula, south of LA.

The factory was owned by Lyle Byrum but I don't know if he still owns it.

My good friend Greg launt was fairly high up in the factory and a good pilot to boot.

They are pretty popular over there, and sold and supported by a dealer network.

The kits are very complete right down to the hardware, and go together well.

Generally the product in my opion is pretty good, and I've always been surprised just how cheap they go for used here, especially the GT 400s. ...................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Yes, as far as a comparison to a Drifter goes. The GT 400s that I soloed in, and flew had 447 engines, the Drifter I have most time in had a 582. I have flown 503 powered Drifters, and I would say the GT 400 was better than those. The GT has flaps which makes for simple landings, but Drifters aren't hard to land either.

The GT has a yoke control on a stick that moves back and forth for pitch, and you turn the wheel Cessna style for roll. They are a nose wheel job but get off the ground real quick, and land pretty slow. Climb is real good, and would be better with a 503.

Pretty comfortable to fly with a semi-fully enclosed cockpit. Real solid in flight, and I was told by a friend who was involved with the initial flight testing, that they had to detune a few things to slow them down, so they would fit into UL rules at the time.

The GT was originally designed to fit into the US FAR 103 rules, so like a lot of planes at the time had to be artifically 'lightened up' to stay under 254 lbs. empty, but still a pretty strong machine. They sit on their arXX empty on the ground, which looks a little weird, but is not a big deal.

I don't think the GT is up to the 582 Drifter, but better than the 503 Drifter. Not a bad little aeroplane, and like I said real good for the money. I wouldn't mind taking one for a fly again........Oh and they slip real nice, and you can put them on floats........024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Sebb7701, I stopped over at Taroom/Wandoan once in a Lightwing I was ferrying. Not a bad little spot, and the town looked ok too as I departed to the North. Seem to recall another strip by the road just North of town ?. Nice little airport for a rest /fuel break. Cheers Major.

Hi,

As Maj. Miller said the GT400 is not bad at all, I have had only 4 hours in the GT500 but thought it a little underpowered and would suit the Rotax 912 or the Jab motor. I found you would need to modify the seats, uncomfortable for longer than two hours and the drafts oh boy, small things i know but.....

I am tossing up between that and the standard X-Air.

Bob.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes that's about how they fly, the GT500 looks like it might have a faster landing speed than the 400, and I suppose it should have. And yes they do slip nice. If there was a weak link it would be the landing gear. The main legs are a solid tapered alum rod, and as I remember the nose wheel had a smaller alum tapered rod either side. The 500 landing gear is bigger and stronger. The 400 Landing legs are ok too, but as a comparison wouldn't be as robust as the Drifter, which are almost indestructable. Once again, a result of the need to keep weight down, initially for US regs.

I was just looking at my old log books and I see that I first flew a GT400S on 29 June 86, which was my first solo. (.5 hr) Registration was 10ACE, and it got me USUA license No.A001440. The United States Ultralight Assoc. is their RAA.

I am born and bred Aussie, but lived in California for ten years, as my wife is from Los Angeles. Cheers, the Major...............024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hi Major.

Yep, not a bad airpart you landed at Taroom. Actually known as the 'Tarwan' airport as it is shared by Taroom and Wandoan for medivacs etc as it is an all weather strip. Also used to be home to a gliding club, hence the 4 or 5 grass cross strips next to each other.

You also spied correctly, there is a partly maintain strip (they mow it....)on the Northern edge of town next to teh highway which also sees occasional use. As you saw, the problem we have is no hangars!!

I thought that may be the case. Whilst a devoted drifter driver, I must say that those GT400's are a point of fascination, particularly from your description. They sound to be quite an economical machine with excellent performance (for what they are). It's just that single seat that sux!

Hi,

To compare the GT500 and a drifter is fair as most of the flight envelop is common, however the GT500 i flew in only had the Rotax 503 and that did not do it justice at all, I had one hour in one that had a 912 what a beast! The landing was not unlike a Cessna 310, that is solid, set up exactly to the right numbers and on the day i flew it the runway heat actually assisted with the flair(minimal flair at that) much like a glider here, forever a floater. The wings were removed, the aircraft fitted into it's enclosed trailer and hooked back up to the car in about 30 minutes, could have been quicker but guess who got in the way?????

A few guys in the US have thrown the seats out and there are some magic after market ones out there at reasonable price and fixed the drafts behind the seats and also fitted static lines to the altimeter because of the slight suction effect in the cabin because of all those little gaps. There is an issue of the windscreen having small cracks but fitting a new one in 2 or 3mm perspex fixes that.

Bob.

Guest Maj Millard

sebb7701 Hey I am a devoted Drifter Driver also, and you'll get no argument on how well Drifters fly. I do remember the GT400 as being a pretty good flyer also, and like I say if you can get them cheap............and maybe a good set of floats ????? They do come with flaps too of course.

Which reminds me .....a friend of mine was flying to one of our fly-ins in a GT400 on amphib floats. He was at about 100ft above water when the fwd vertical fin bolt failed for some reason. The fin and rudder flopped over to one side, as he headed for the water. He said he was lucky he wasn't higher, but landed on the water OK. He pulled a bolt from somewhere, and made it to the fly-in. It was great hearing him tell the story over beers that night.....................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif024_cool.gif.e4faea8b8d6d5d6e548e269d4b8acbd2.gif

Maj. M. - I was picturing that scenario when as I was reading it, complete with vertical tail feathers flopping to one side - bugger me!!!!

I guess it was better than losing your elevator in that he could still 'pull up' to some degree.

Yep, they sound good, but when it comes to 2 seaters, it still sounds like drifters are the go from a engine perspective. There don't seem to be many 2 seaters which will happily cruise around on a 503.

Guest Maj Millard

SEB7701 I seem to recall him saying it was a pretty curved approach !!!............024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I'll definitly look you up next time I'm around Taroom ok.

• 2 years later...
HiGuys does anyone own or have any flying time on Quicksilver GT500 aircraft.

Thanks

g'day shafts 64 i'm an owner of the 500 and though only 3 months into it shes a delight to fly

and a lot slicker than the drifter. Solo with the 582 5000 rpm gets me just on 68 kts in still conditions

and very good rudder control plus an all triming tailplane alla cub makes her a smooth preformer.

on the downside single actuating push/pull cables create, in my opinion the inevertble lag in aleron control

imputs which translates to heavy control feel of same. Aleron spades have been suggested as a posible help

but I believe a duel (opposing) push/pull cable to negitate the control lag would be a better solution and provide

a backup system in the event of a cable failure (as and added bonus) My bird will let you know pretty smartly

if you fail to monitor landing speed correctly, and can be quite lively in blowy conditions which can dictate flapless landings due to the very effective flaps fitted (30 degrees becomes a huge airbreak) something that drifters don't have

to think about. anyway take care and safe flying tallyho from hargraves

Does anyone have any idea as to whether wing removal on a gt400/gt500 is an easy task?

i've been told by the previous owner of my 500 about an hour per side comming off and double that going on

tallyho hargraves