Carpark end of Runway at Melbourne Airport

Nev25

Many years ago I was taken to a public carpark at the end of a runway at Melbourne Airport.

When the Aircraft come in to land you could almost touch the landing gear (slight exaggeration)

It seemed to be a local hangout for young kids (IT WAS 3am)

Ive tryed Google maps and cannot find it

Anyone know if its still there and where it is

Many years ago I was taken to a public carpark at the end of a runway at Melbourne Airport.When the Aircraft come in to land you could almost touch the landing gear (slight exaggeration)

It seemed to be a local hangout for young kids (IT WAS 3am)

Ive tryed Google maps and cannot find it

Anyone know if its still there and where it is

I dunno about Melbourne but there is a great lookout at Brisbane airport. It's near the GA Parking area

It's at the end of the main runway. Drive out past the airport towards Sunbury and it's on the right. Very common spot for people to 'park.'

It's at the end of the main runway. Drive out past the airport towards Sunbury and it's on the right. Very common spot for people to 'park.'

Thanks Brent

Ive found it

On the corner of Sunbury Rd and Oaklands Rd

Pervert..

Last time I was there (while waiting for a delayed flight!!!!) I had a tap on the shoulder from Mr Federal Plod.

The other end makes for a more interesting time. 747's about 20' as they come over the fence. :) If the cars rocking don't bother knocking as it's just the wind.

Gibbo.

Guest palexxxx
Other end?????Thought that was a closed area

If you have a look on Google Maps at 'the other end' ie. the southern end of runway 16/34, you'll see a public golf course just over the fence. Not a closed area at all.

Er... there are three great spots to view the north south runway flightpath... The first is at the southern end near the golf course. There is a small car park there.

The next is near the Airservices facility (Melb Centre) which gives a good view from the middle, but its a little lower in elevation, so you dont get the best view of AC on the strip.Besides, the fence does not do much for filming.

The best is on the northern end, on the Sunbury Rd.

But if you look a little up the hill on Sunbury Rd, you will see a church. From there you get great side on shots... but you have to be good with your whip panning technique!

However, back to the north car park. Its easy to get to and can accommodate 50+ cars, and usually there is an ice cream van, sometimes two there of an evening... :big_grin:

As for it being a pashing park, most of the folks there are out of the car, watching in awe as the aircraft fly overhead.

Ben