ThatcherCX4

John Raison

• 2 years later...
Guest marquesports

John,

I have a set but have not done anything with them. It's a gorgeous little thing, saw it at Oshkosh a few years back. Dave Thatcher is a real gentleman.

A CX 4 Thatcher is fully built (but I believe unflown as yet) in Perth. It was offered for sale a while back but don't believe it changed hands. PM if you need more info.

Hi all does anyone know of anyone building a Thatchercx4 I know there are 7 sets of plans in AustraliaCheers John

Mick Wright in Gawler is pretty close to finished by now.....haven't caught up for a while ; I have set of plans ,too many other projects on the white board at the moment

• Winner 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest marquesports
Would any one consider selling their plans to me at all?Andy

Andy,

At long last I have located them. You will need to contact Dave Thatcher for approval to use them as they licensed to me as the builder. If OK they are your's.

Cheers.

Mick

Guest Escadrille
Andy,At long last I have located them. You will need to contact Dave Thatcher for approval to use them as they licensed to me as the builder. If OK they are your's.

Cheers.

Mick

G'day Mick. Mate that is very kind of you but I must apologise as I have bought a set from John Raison and have obtained Dave's blessing to use them( Set # 326) However thank you very much for all your efforts.

Andy

Guest marquesports
G'day Mick. Mate that is very kind of you but I must apologise as I have bought a set from John Raison and have obtained Dave's blessing to use them( Set # 326) However thank you very much for all your efforts.Andy

Andy, no problems, good luck and keep us posted.

• 6 months later...

the first Thatcher CX4 to fly in Australia built by Mick Wright had first flight 18/01/2012 at Gawler South Aust this was the 27th in the world to fly

great aeroplane stall 35knots tops out approx 120 knots

Mick W

Guest Escadrille
the first Thatcher CX4 to fly in Australia built by Mick Wright had first flight 18/01/2012 at Gawler South Aust this was the 27th in the world to flygreat aeroplane stall 35knots tops out approx 120 knots

Mick W

Congratulations Mick! Any pictures of your baby at all?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking CX4. What powerplant and prop combination are you using? I assume you went with the VW? What HP?

I'm also looking for a set of CX4 plans and builder manual, and any info anyone has on getting the raw stock (in Aus) as cheap as possible. I note the CX4 has a lot of Aluminium angle in it and that stuff doesnt come cheap in Aus (by my research anyway).

Cheers

Alex

I am using 80 hp limbach 2litre (certified VW) Arrow 54 x 46 prop 6hrs flown allin cct area so performance figures not real accurate (goes Quick)

all extrusions ,chrome moly ,tubing assorted hardware from Wicks other bits from Spruce and Great planes all great to deal with Considerable savings over AU prices

even with frieght all sheets from Airport metals Melbourne

Please purchase plans direct from David he deserves a little reward for producing them plus he is a great bloke always ready to answer emails or telephone calls

Regards

Mick W

Thanks for the update Mick. Mind if I ask how many hours you put into the build? And was it plans build or did you buy any prefab stuff? ie. wing spar..

Sounds like you've got all the 'bells and whistles'. I've run the materials list through Aircraft Spruce and Wicks and there is a fair amount of difference between the two. But, they are miles away from local Aus prices.... Anyone know why al extrusion costs so damn much in this country??

More than happy to purchase plans from David himself and agree he is on to a good thing here. I just thought I'd see if anyone had bought a set and decided not to build - give them an opportunity to recoup their outlay too.

Cheers

Alex

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Mick. Mind if I ask how many hours you put into the build? And was it plans build or did you buy any prefab stuff? ie. wing spar..Sounds like you've got all the 'bells and whistles'. I've run the materials list through Aircraft Spruce and Wicks and there is a fair amount of difference between the two. But, they are miles away from local Aus prices.... Anyone know why al extrusion costs so damn much in this country??

More than happy to purchase plans from David himself and agree he is on to a good thing here. I just thought I'd see if anyone had bought a set and decided not to build - give them an opportunity to recoup their outlay too.

Cheers

Alex