Filthy prop

skeptic36

Hi all,

I have a trike powered by a grey head 582. I bought it with 320 hrs on it and it now has about 345 hrs.

As part of my pre flight I run my finger over the leading edge of the prop blades checking for stone damage, never had a problem. Last time my finger came away covered in black grease. :ah_oh:

I recently had a small oil leak from the return line for the rotary valve lubricator but if that had been the cause I think the greasy substance would have been more like clean oil than black goo.

I am thinking it must be from the exhaust but I am wondering why it has never shown up before ?

Does it take awhile ?

Is it a sign of something wrong with the mixture ?

I burn premium petrol pre mixed at 50:1 with Penrite TS40C.

Did the previous owner wash it down with something ?

What did the previous owner wash it with ? :confused:

Thanks in advance

Regards Bill

Guest Maj Millard

The 582 Drifter left a black greasy resudue on the prop blades...normal...I used to just clean it off with a fuel soaked rag when it got a bit heavy. Previous owner probabily cleaned it off. It should be right in line with the exhaust outlet.......024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Is it a oily residue? not just moisturized dirt, which I've noticed can sometimes happen in moist conditions...

Yes definately greasy and very black.

Moist conditions - never happens down here in Eastern Victoria, if you QLD people could spare us a bit.......:thumb_up:

Regards Bill

The 582 Drifter left a black greasy resudue on the prop blades...normal...I used to just clean it off with a fuel soaked rag when it got a bit heavy. Previous owner probabily cleaned it off. It should be right in line with the exhaust outlet.......024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks Maj I'll give it a wash in some petrol and see how long it takes to reaccumulate (is that a word ?)

Regards Bill

if you QLD people could spare us a bit.......:thumb_up:

Haha... Yeah well we could do with some rain here as well!! The South Eastern Qld corner hasn't really had any good rain for a long while... but it looks like we might be getting some in the next few days anyway:thumb_up:

Guest brentc

Isn't it just the oily residue from the exhaust? Being a 2-stroke you would get this. Probably not a good idea to wash your prop with petrol though depending on its' construction!

Guest Maj Millard

Yes thinking about this myself, the Brolga on the Drifter didn't mind a quick wipe clean with petrol soaked rag. If however it's a wood prop or a prop that has a protective coating applied, you may want to consider something more gentle..........and yes it is exhaust residue......mixtures probabily fine, seems to need a wipe down every five hours or so................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest brentc

My 503 Aerochute used to plaster the prop with black crap all the time, without fail, on TS40c, so I just wiped it every time.

From the other side of the fence. If the smokey residue doesn't have any slow chemical reaction with the prop and break it down over time, I'd leave it as an experiment to see if the costant thin coating possibly protects the prop from little particles that cause minor marks and scratches. It would be cool knowing it gave you even 5% longer prop life.

From the other side of the fence. If the smokey residue doesn't have any slow chemical reaction with the prop and break it down over time, I'd leave it as an experiment to see if the costant thin coating possibly protects the prop from little particles that cause minor marks and scratches. It would be cool knowing it gave you even 5% longer prop life.

And maybe more drag...?

Just think about covering your wing with a thin layer of grease... not real slippery I'd reckon (wind wise I mean)]

And maybe more drag...?Just think about covering your wing with a thin layer of grease... not real slippery I'd reckon (wind wise I mean)]

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif:laugh:classic Tomo, I often leave mud on my car, saves the stonechips:loopy:

PS 5% longer prop life but 20% extra in fuel because of the drag

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,As part of my pre flight I run my finger over the leading edge of the prop blades checking for stone damage, never had a problem. Last time my finger came away covered in black grease.

Regards Bill

Hi Bill,

I`ve never used Penrite but with each of the four 582 that I`ve had on the Drifter,the black oily soot,from the exhaust, has been left on the prop,verticle fin and rudder,this made me decided to go to a black fin and rudder to make it less visibale.

In my opinion if there is no black oily soot on the prop,the motor is running too lean a fuel mixture,better to clean the prop and tail than to damage the engine.

I now have a 503 on the Drifter,I use unleaded and Castrol 2T at 50:1 mix and guess what,it leaves black oily soot,behind.

Cheers,

Frank.

Guest Nickjaxe

Over here in the UK they are putting ethanol in out petrol, I have noticed if I try to clean my warp drive prop with it, it take some of the surface coat off the prop,

So I dont use it to clean the prop any more.

Nick.

Over here in the UK they are putting ethanol in out petrol,

Hope your not using it in your premix 2 stroke as it doesn't mix with the oil properly.

I don't know if that is still a problem with oil injection ?????????????

Regards Bill