Distributor Rotors

Guest brentc

Guest brentc

Just a quick note for Jabiru owner maintainers to make sure you check distributor rotors when you perform your engine maintenance, such as at the 100 hourly service intervals if you are not already doing so.

What happens to the rotors is that they vibrate and become loose and eventually the spring retainers will break off and the rotors will not make contact with the points and you will end up with a potential ignition failure on that distributor. Worst case I have seen on an aircraft they have the potential to fail at around the same time which as you could imagine could be catastrophic.

Some maintenance organisations change the rotors every 100 hours. I change mine at 150 - 200 hours. To enhance the life of the rotors the Jab engine department once told me to apply a dob of super glue before attaching them to the distributor shaft.

Guest brentc

From the parts manual they are Rotor BH73 part number PG0190N. They are a standard automotive component, but I'm not sure which car they are off. Repco, supercheap etc.

They can be tempremental. You could go for 500 hours without issue or after 150 (like mine did first time around) they can work loose.

I note they are an inspection item in the Jabiru maintenance schedule in the 100 hourly section.

You can still get them off ok with the glue on there but in practicality you would have no need to remove them if they are firmly affixed.

I used a high temp RTV (silicon) on mine, not too much, with the rotors firmly on all the way, at the first 100 hrs. New from factory the engine had no glues of any kind. a 100 hrs on, and both rotors were wobbling about, with the sealant no longer attached to the shaft but it was still present on the clip and some of the rotor. Think silicons are too flexible.

My replacement rotors went on with Araldite epoxy. I'm rechecking them soon.

I think it needs to be a firm glue that can take some heat. The appearance of the rotors is consistent with heat deformation where it contacts the shaft but it could be wear. the rotors are the same as original, Bosch from Supercheap, black thermoplastic, and fit firmly when new, just like the originals did. Somehow they go from tight to loose and wobbly. If these ones get loose, I will have to find another glue, perhaps 36hr Araldite. If they stay tight, I wont need to get them off. If they go loose, I wont have any trouble getting them off.

Ralph

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rudix

I recently stood by while my AMO did a 100 hour service on my SP. Both the rotors were a bit loose and he re-attached them with a bit of epoxy on each shaft. He tells me he has been doing for a long time and it solves the problem.

As a matter of interest the plane just got to 2400 hours !

Fly safe,

Rudi