The Apple iPhone - who else has one cause they're so cool!!!

Guest Brett Campany

Guest Brett Campany

OK, OK so I'm bragging a little here. I've got one of these new Apple 16GB iPhone's and I've been loading it with many applications. One of which is called the iE6B.

Yup, I've got a flight computer for my iPhone and it's just brilliant!! There's plenty of other applications as well from games to GPS trackers.

But I'm still new at all this iPhone stuff so if you've got one, tell me some hints and tips cause it just looks endless as to what it can do.

Oh did I mention it also makes phone calls?? Unbelievable!!!! 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

Congrat's mate...:thumb_up: Nice looking machines they are....

The painful thing on them is you can't sms video/photos, only email them... other than that my uncle's pretty happy with his as well:thumb_up:

Yep..

Got one, and reckon its the go..

Plenty of Applications for flying from logbooks to flight computers(checkout flight plan) to simulator's (xplane being the pick and ive had a giggle with sully's flight which gives you the chance to ditch in the hudson just like sully did, complete with birds on your windshield!)

##Tomo## is right re the mms thing, but in the next month or so a new version of the software will be released (version 3 i think) and that solves many of the problems including the picture messaging, and a copy/paste function and quite a few other bits and pieces..

Cheers

Guest Brett Campany
Hope you have a data plan with at least 100MB a month. You'll need it ;-)

Hell yes, this is the main reason why I got off Telstra, I went to Optus 3G because for $79 a month cap plan I get $550 of calls plus unlimited text and 700MB of data every month. I'll be saving about $60 a month compared to my Next G phone.

Version 3.0 is out in June and it'll increase the iPhone's capabilities even more.

i have one, perfect for checking weather, NAIPS, and our booking sheet, and a "jailbroken" iphone will do video, and MMS.. just as the new 3.0 update will.

not to mention, flight sim, the "G" meter app comes in handy in demonstrating the 2G felt in a 60deg bank turn,

not to mention flight computer app for checking manual flight computer calculations, oh, and how can i forget the BOM weather radar app so i can get almost real time weather radar, while in the aircraft, though limited to lower altitudes and close to built up areas...

oh, and their cool!

3G or Next G... iPhone or other?

I got tired of all the holes in the 3G network and went with Next G; I'm getting heaps better coverage..

I went to the Telstra Shop to sign up for a Next G iPhone - and when I got there I knew the guy serving me. He said that the return rate on iPhone (for repairs) was heaps higher than any other make - and iPhone is the only brand that does not give a phone-swap warranty in the first month. He put me into a HTC Touch-Flo instead; similar functionality and more robust (or so he says..). Time will tell.

Guest Brett Campany
I got tired of all the holes in the 3G network and went with Next G; I'm getting heaps better coverage..I went to the Telstra Shop to sign up for a Next G iPhone - and when I got there I knew the guy serving me. He said that the return rate on iPhone (for repairs) was heaps higher than any other make - and iPhone is the only brand that does not give a phone-swap warranty in the first month. He put me into a HTC Touch-Flo instead; similar functionality and more robust (or so he says..). Time will tell.

I'll be keen to see how that goes Bushie, I've heard both good and bad things about them.

He said that the return rate on iPhone (for repairs) was heaps higher than any other make

Well the iPod is no different. I've had two and both have croaked so wont be going back.

I've got Palm Treo Pro which seems good so far. I really like Oziexplorer on it.

Scott

Guest Brett Campany

OK, here's some recommended applications for iPhone users. Some of these are free, and the others range from 0.99c to about $5.99 AUD

Dark Room premium for the iPhone camera

Air Check Aviation Checklist

iE6B

Flight Plan Pilot's Toolbox - everything you can think of!

Flight Control - its a great game to kill time

Trails GPS Tracker - to track your flight and then load them onto Google Earth.

These are just some of the 40 or so applications I've got so far.

I got tired of all the holes in the 3G network and went with Next G; I'm getting heaps better coverage..I went to the Telstra Shop to sign up for a Next G iPhone - and when I got there I knew the guy serving me. He said that the return rate on iPhone (for repairs) was heaps higher than any other make - and iPhone is the only brand that does not give a phone-swap warranty in the first month. He put me into a HTC Touch-Flo instead; similar functionality and more robust (or so he says..). Time will tell.

The IT nerd in me tells me you have made a wise choice. I hate Telstra, but I think the HTC is better than the iPhone. I reckon the HTC Dream is better again - but only available through Optus. It's an Android phone. Google's own phone Operating System.

But given the applications available for it, the iPhone is awesome for this reason alone.

**Bushpilot**

Im a bit of a research nut, so whenever i buy anything, i look into it like a madman, and from all my research Telstra are by far and away the biggest thieves out there!They do have great coverage though..But as far as value for money plans for the iphone, im not suprised you went with something else..

There are good plans out there(i decided to go with Vodafone, and so far very happy with cost and coverage even way out in the sticks)

Also as far as how many MB you need on a plan, it depends what your gonna do with it..I always make sure i download any Apps from home unless the're small, and use the fone to download and send email, and do other smaller load things..A lot of sites are setting themselves up to have access just for iphone or other internet phones, and as such load just the bare essentials instead of the bling version..

My favourite usefull and not so usefull applications are!

Oz weather

Xplane-All and any of them

Flight control-A bit of a giggle

Flightplan

Sully's flight

Pilot library

Wordbook

Wunder radio

:thumb_up:

Love my iPhone, Jailbroken and loving it, have had mine since the 3G was released here and had a 2G for 2 years before that. cant wait for the 3.0 firmware to come out. can do so much with it, interface is user friendly and work great with my mac. :)

Guest Brett Campany
Love my iPhone, Jailbroken and loving it, have had mine since the 3G was released here and had a 2G for 2 years before that. cant wait for the 3.0 firmware to come out. can do so much with it, interface is user friendly and work great with my mac. :)

What does Jailbreaking do to it and how is it done?

And where the hell have you been mate? What's been happening?

Just read in the News that They will release a version of Skype for iphone today, which means internet phone calls can be made from the phone instead of through your service provider..This has already been possible, but not through Skype which in my experience works well..It will be one of those things where a close eye will have to be kept on data usage though..i have still never even got close to my 700MB, but i think a few internet phone calls could get through that pretty easily..

Cheers

Guest Brett Campany
Just read in the News that They will release a version of Skype for iphone today, which means internet phone calls can be made from the phone instead of through your service provider..This has already been possible, but not through Skype which in my experience works well..It will be one of those things where a close eye will have to be kept on data usage though..i have still never even got close to my 700MB, but i think a phone call could sort that out..Cheers

You must be on the same Optus plan I'm on Simon. I'll look into this Skype thing.

Guest Brett Campany
Nope..On Vodafone

Nice, good service then?

I've been told by our Apple guru here at work that Jailbreaking your iPhone won't allow you to get the 3.0 firmware in a few months.

Think I'll stay away from doing that.

What does Jailbreaking do to it and how is it done?

when you get a stnadard Iphone, its software (operating system) is locked, and all the apps you can run on it have to be approved by Apple.

when its "jailbroken", you are re-installing a modified version of the original operating software, but modified in a way that allows non approved software to be run.

a locked Iphone wont have MMS or video, when its Jailbroken, then you can install a MMS app, and also a Video app, so you can record video with the camera.

also one its jailbroken, there are countless more apps that are far more usfull from unapproved developers, such as the ability to change background pictures, use anu sound file you want for a ringtone, even remove the sceen lock screen, and apps that allow things like Shake to answer calls instead of swiping to answer.

to jailbreak your phone, you need a bit of software called pwnage tool, you install this on your computer, and pretty much follow the instructions.

this will install an app called cydia, which allows you to install apps from countless developers, that arent approved or affiliated with Apple, such as themes etc...