GPS which one ?

David F

David,

I have just returned from an 18hour / 900nm trip around the Northern Great Barrier Reef and my able steed was my recently purchased Lowrance 600C GPS that I purchased at Oshkosh earlier in the year when I was granted the opportunity to have a fleeting visit to the EAA Airventure (all manufacturers discount heavily at the airshow).

The Lowrance 600C is approx. the same size as the Garmin 96C and packs more features than I need for slow paced triking. I picked it up for US$490 and it came with every conceivable extra including suction mounts and remote antennae!

There is a comparative write-up on the Garmin and Lowrance in Australian Flying - I seem to remember that it was the October edition?

I have traditionally been a Garmin User and made the swap because I was attracted to Lowrance's Terrein Avoidance Database - this was a real gizmo. The GPS works well, and only chews 2xAA batteries over a period of 12 hours - not bad for new technology with full coulor?

The Lowrance works with an SD Card for storing the Jeppesen Database, Terrein Database and all your pre-worked routes. Due to being SD driven, when downloading waypoints from my Oziexplorer Software, I have to remove the card from the GPS battery compartment making it a bit of process.

IMHO, I found the Lowrance somewhat confusing to use compared to the user-friendly Garmin range. I also found that the GPS sometimes spits its dummy when uploading if the unit is vibrated - I found this to be resultant from the SD card slot under the battery being similar to that of a mobile phone sim slot with some play.

Even though the Lowrance serves me well, If I could choose again, as an expedition triker, I would go for the Garmin 96C. My reason for this is that it is heaps more user friendly, compact and well priced for recreational navigation needs. Furthermore, I can easily communicate with the GPS from my Notebook using Oziexplorer.

Hope this helps?

Regards

I wonder what type of flying you chaps are doing. When I flew a thruster I used an old Garmin handheld and with the Corby I had to upgrade to a GPS 12XL to be able to go over 100kts.

Not flying in controlled airspace all I need is an idea of where my track will be close to controlled areas and flight plan to miss them. You will have to carry a map and possibly ERSA whenever you fly so the GPS tells you where you are on the map and how far off track.

When flying slowly is when the GPS really helps as you can work out if you have fuel to go on or need to refuel somewhere. It can be abit offputting if the time to destination is getting longer rather than shorter and I have had it happen.

The real joy of GPS is to know your headwind component and to be able to give another aircraft your position with some accuracy. Anything more is expensive iceing on the cake.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on what you want out of a GPS and what sort of aircraft you are using. If you are still learning to navigate why don't you look for a cheap second hand Garmin 12 or the like, there are some cheap one's of these around if you look and will do everything you need to navigate. You still need a full set of current charts especially where controlled/restricted air space is concerned and I think it would be rather foolish to rely on the data base of the newer one's as your sole reference. In the past few years I have covered over 140,000nm using a 12 without a scrap of trouble, even flying the gaap into YBAF ect. All it needs is a bit of homework, the rest is simple. Thats my 2cents worth

I use a Garmin 12 as a back up and is is easy to read & operate

Just program a heap of way points and use the goto button simple quick and never freezes or locks up.

I use a PDA in the car and it locks up probably once a week at least. Only need a shutdown and restart but not something you want to do in the air in turbulence or when you are a bit unsure of your position and need it in a hurry.

There is no updates to get

It is a simple standalone 12 channel GPS

you can program your way points in yourself (manually or from your PC) such as airfields landmarks etc . You can also program routes but the simpler the operation in the aircraft the better

It runs on batteries or cig lighter adapter

I use 2400 mAh rechargeable Nickel metal hydride batteries (two) and they last 18 hours continuous use fully charged

I carry a spare set in case and they cost $3 each at Jaycar

• 1 month later...
Guest brentc

If you buy a GPS in the USA you'll need to by the Australian maps (Australaysia / Southern Hemisphere). If the GPS is supported on the Garmin page, they will be avaialble. Sometimes if you buy a GPS like say the 296 on Ebay they might offer the maps but they may not ship with the right ones. (it happened to a mate of mine).

Best off supporting the local economy and buying from Ian's shop.

If you can stretch for the money for a Garmin 196 you will NOT be disappointed. Unless you want colour, but the price gets a little heftier.

• 2 months later...
Guest nevjoll

I have PocketFMS as mentioned above. This is no longer a free or donation program. The makers (in Holland, I believe) have gone commercial with it.

The other similar program which I have on my PDA is the American program "Anywhere Map" I think was about $200 but it has not been upgraded for Australian Airspace for some years. Still it's very usable

Nevjoll

Guest J430

Brent has the right idea. Go for the 196 or 296, until something better come along.

I know of IFR guys who carry one of the 296's and use it in conjunction with their TSO'd Garmin gear, because its easier to use read follow etc at a glance. The TSO'd stuff of course is coupled to their A/P so thats compulsory use, but if they ever lost the TSO'd unit in flight the 296 makes a brilliant back up.

J:)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest solocmv

Hello David F

Have a good look at the Lowrance Airmap 600c, the Garmin is more expensive and the road/marine mapping in Aus. is very poor.

I have used the PDA based units almost impossible to hit those little buttons in anything but still air and poor battery life, it was nice to have all the ground information (fuel, restaurants ,bottle shops etc).

After a long evaluation the Lowrance 600c had all the features and best of all best cost of acuisition.

Cheers,

Solocmv.

• 11 months later...

Hi JL,

I'm looking at getting a Garmin 96C, my only concern is about the colour screen.

Being able to read it well in sunlight. My eyes are not what they used to be.

How have you found the screen to read?

Guest J430

Colour screen is better to read than the monochrome.

Go see Bill Haynes at Cab Rec Aviation........ I heard he had one for sale that was surplus to requirements.

J:thumb_up: