new boy on the block

Guest Billjim

Guest Billjim

Hi reader of this.

Just thought I'd submit my 2 bobs worth re. Rec. Aviation as a matter of possible interest.

Got my PPL in 1964, then did it for a job for a few yrs mainly charter in N.T. and later some "executive" stuff. Had last flown around 20 yrs ago.

Wanting to get back to a bit of pleasure flying after 20 yrs of withdrawal symptoms, I went to renew my licence - as a PPL only. I passed the medical but CASA made it so expensive and drawn out due minor issues (If I need to get out & push then I'll glide) that to continue was virtually prohibitive. An unfortunately typical example of bureaucratic tin plating. All I wanted to do was fly OCTA now and then for old times sake & a bit of fun while I have time left to do so.

When I told the CEO I was going to have a look at "utralights", she wasn't too happy - watches too much T.V. & I think associated same with Icarus or similar. Anyway, being a Sensetive New Age Guy I told her she could flog the tractor if I didn't return and went anyway.

To the main point at last ......

Went for a fly in a Tecnam Super .. was ultra impressed. Real stick & rudder flying again, just like the days in the bush away from the b.s., and in an aircraft that is in every sense a great little safe fun machine - stable & forgiving enough to survive an old f..t like myself. And performs better than many GA aircraft anyway. I'm sure there are many other such a/c as good but that is the only one I have experienced. And I was equally impressed by the professional and friendly attitude of the instructor.

RA today has come of age, offers a great deal to those who would otherwise be denied the opportunity to experience the joys of "hands on" aviation and hopefully has a secure future.

Anyway, just thought I'd ramble on with thanks to admin. who helped me find my way around this forum - old dog, new tricks.

Hi reader of this. All I wanted to do was fly OCTA now and then for old times sake & a bit of fun while I have time left to do so.

quote]

Hi BillJim and 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif,

An example of the principal reason why those of us who got the AUF/RAA up and running worked so hard to make it a success.

Cheers,

Frank.

G'day Billjim and welcome.

I wonder how many of us started in GA, left it and then got into RAAus.

I left flying for a few years, then got back into GA, but it was too expensive to keep current. RAAus was my salvation.