582 Oil leaking from air filter

motzartmerv

Hi.. Please excuse my engine ignorance.. I recently got hold of a Bantam with a 582 rotax (blue head).. I just noticed today theres a small drip of oil seeping from the bottom of the air filter.. I spose it could only be 2 stroke oil from the rotary valve resovour.. Any one know what this could be??...

cheers

dont know about 582 but I have to regularly clean filters on my 503 rotax due to similar drip through the filters. I dont have oil injection and use premix but still it does'nt stop oil seeping through filters. its more of a nuisance then problem though

Probably normal, both 503s I ran did it, more so with the dual carb, believe it or not the fuel oil mix is not a continuous flow through the carb, it spits back out and some oil stays on the filter. If its a foam filter, its self oiling.

Ralph

• 2 weeks later...

Oil leaking through the seal behind the rotary disc normally goes into the engine.

The oil that lubricates the rotary disc shaft should be used at the rate of 1cc per hour of operation.

There are 2 seals on the water pump end of the shaft and if they are leaking you will find ,either, oil in the water or water in the oil.

You should be able to determine any leak in the seals by the amount of oil being used.

Frank.

Hi Merv,

if the oil leaking is just a few drops after say an hour or two of flight then no issues if however it is about 1/3 to 1/2 teaspoon OR MORE in two hours of flight you have a seal issue. If you have the same in one hour of flight plus higher engine temps then it is an urgent issue that needs looking into quickly and may need a rebuild.

Bob.