whats a Jabiru made of

Ultralights

Hi Ultralights, it's Araldite LC 3600 resin and Hardener.

Jabiru can send it to you. I brought 1 lt it cost about 42 dollars a couple of weeks ago.With the hardner.

Rory

thanks for that, fortunately i work in a composites workshop, so resins, and fibreglass etc are no problem, i just needed to kno what if the resin is Polyester,vinylester,polycarbonate or epoxy systems, so i know what type to borrow from work.

if my memory serves me correctly, then LC36 is an epoxy.

thanks for your help..

rob.

Guest Cloudsuck
thanks for that, fortunately i work in a composites workshop, so resins, and fibreglass etc are no problem, i just needed to kno what if the resin is Polyester,vinylester,polycarbonate or epoxy systems, so i know what type to borrow from work.if my memory serves me correctly, then LC36 is an epoxy.

thanks for your help..

rob.

Yep, spot on .... it is Epoxy.

now all i have to do is decide what type of resin to "borrow" heat resistant to 250 deg C? hmmm no, flexible resin? hmmm no, part doesnt change shape at all, metal impregnated resin?, no too heavy, and might effect radio and compass, nahh good old fashioned polyester friendly epoxy will do... shame its pink

• 3 months later...

Jabiru Resin

Not all epoxy resins are compatible with each other. Some are and some are not. I have seen a listing, but don't have it at hand. So be careful if you don't use the same stuff.

Bruce

Jabiru use Ceiba Geigy epoxy for the majority of construction.

Araldite is used and supplied in small quantities in the kit but is not the same substance as above and will not mix properly (ie. mixing swapped resins and hardeners). It is supplied for quick, non-structual work only.

Although not as easy to use as polyester or vinyl-ester as many aircraft are, epoxy is much stronger. Do not try to mix different formulations of epoxy. eg. AFI resin with Ceiba Geigy hardener. There are 20 different formulations to my knowledge. However, a foreign epoxy (non ceiba geigy formulation of resin and matching hardener) will still glue an original Jabiru fibreglass component well.

I hope all this makes sense.