Palmyra Airstrip and Dragway

winsor68

Ok..so this wasn't a flying trip...but a trip to an airfield...

Days off...nothing much to so I just took a nice ride out to Palmyra Airfield south west of Mackay...Had previously seen a Thruster being flown from there...This time it was deserted with a few machines extending the drag strip run off area.

I spoke with a gentleman their called Greg and he showed me inside his hanger....he has a beautiful RV9a...said it took him about 2 years to build at a cost of about $80 000...cruises at 150knots.

It is the only Homebuilt at the strip...all the rest are GA except the Thruster 503 which is for sale. There is 8 hangers there and 2 more about to be built.

Should have asked to take a photo...

Palmyra -

I've been wanting to find out more about that field.

Emails bounced, phone numbers not right......

That's the only field near Mackay, eh??

Permission required??

Any relevant details??

JohnG

Unfortunately I did not get any contact details...I did not want to force the issue...

I will be going back out again in the hope of catching up with the gentlemen who has a Thruster there...Apparently there is another field near Marion not far from Palmyra as the Sparrow flies and I will investigate that too...have heard there are a few trikes, gyros and parachute operations are conducted there.

Yes, please do find out what you can. It'd be good to find an open airfield in the Mackay area. It's a long way for ultralights from St Lawrence to Bowen. Any other airfields along that stretch, besides Flaggy Rock??

JohnG

• 2 years later...

Windsor, JG3 & Matto

I have also flown into Palmyra on several occasions when having to go to meetings in Mackay.

I work with a gentleman that has a hanger at the Marion airstrip and he gave me contacts of some people at Palmyra. Marion doesn't have fuel but Palmyra has a fuel bowser and the guys are only too happy to help out with organising to meet me there and fuel up when required as long as you give them plenty of notice.

It is a very beautifull part of QLD to fly around. No landing fees. Just great hospitality by these wonderful folk.

Pm me if you are interested in the contact details

Cheers

JabSP6

• Like 1

Windsor, JG3 & MattoI have also flown into Palmyra on several occasions when having to go to meetings in Mackay.

I work with a gentleman that has a hanger at the Marion airstrip and he gave me contacts of some people at Palmyra. Marion doesn't have fuel but Palmyra has a fuel bowser and the guys are only too happy to help out with organising to meet me there and fuel up when required as long as you give them plenty of notice.

It is a very beautifull part of QLD to fly around. No landing fees. Just great hospitality by these wonderful folk.

Pm me if you are interested in the contact details

Cheers

JabSP6

Ok..so this wasn't a flying trip...but a trip to an airfield...Days off...nothing much to so I just took a nice ride out to Palmyra Airfield south west of Mackay...Had previously seen a Thruster being flown from there...This time it was deserted with a few machines extending the drag strip run off area.

I spoke with a gentleman their called Greg and he showed me inside his hanger....he has a beautiful RV9a...said it took him about 2 years to build at a cost of about $80 000...cruises at 150knots.

It is the only Homebuilt at the strip...all the rest are GA except the Thruster 503 which is for sale. There is 8 hangers there and 2 more about to be built.

Should have asked to take a photo...

Excellent. Thanks for that useful news.

JG