Camping Kit - What's your ideal kit?

Guest pelorus32

Guest pelorus32

It seems from various posts that we've got a few keen aero campers on the forums. I'm interested to hear what your ideal camping kit is.

To kick it off, here's mine:

1. MSR Twin Sisters trekking tarp (0.8kg). Very light, good weather protection and you can set it up under a high wing or between two a/c or two trees. MSR® Twin Sisters™ Expedition Two-Person, 4-seaon Tarp Shelter.

2. MSR Dragonfly stove. This is the bees knees it burns Avgas, PULP, turbine fuel, diesel, kero, shellite, white spirits...you can fill it from your wing drains and then empty it before flight. Cooks so fast it's almost unreal. (0.51kg) MSR® DragonFly™ multi-fuel camp stove.

3. MSR Alpine 4 pot set. Simple and can cook for big groups. (1.4kg) MSR® Alpine 4 stainless steel cookset

4. Something like this to sleep on (1.4kg) Therm-a-Rest® ToughSkin™ self-inflating air mattress

5. Something like this to sleep in (1.2kg) Mountain Designs

I have an older version of number 1 that I've used for years. I use number 2 and 3 and I use similar things to number 4 and 5.

Total weight 5.31kg. then you need some water (10kg for remote areas) and some food (say 6kg - rice, oil, lentils, dried stuff...) and you're set.

Two changes of clothes - another 5kgs.

Total weight say 27 kg. With over 1/3 of that being water.

Let's hear from the minimalists!!

Regards

Mike

Guest Brett Campany

Great idea for a post Mike because I've always been a keen camper but not to sure what to take that won't weigh me down so much. Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

I use a fairly big fly sheet, which I can drape over the wing/ A roman 3 seasons down sleeping bag and to sleep on the seat comes out of the plane, specially designed to use as a sleeping mat. Cooking with a small set of pots and a solid fuel stove. Only leavs room for a change of clothes, wash gear and a bit of food.

We camped for the first time at Narromine so we didn't have to worry about food except for the usual travel lollies, we have a 3 person jackaroo hike tent 3kgs, Vango self inflating mattress 650 grms [1 each] and some -2 degrees sleeping bags 2.5 kg each [ no compromise for a warm nights sleep ], all up about 10 kg for sleeping plus clothes 5/6 kg between us.

We would like to learn more about the cooking side of flying camping and what gear is available, maybe what recipes people cook when away.

Brian :thumb_up:

Havent camped out with a plane yet but when I go on my bike I take a two person tent.

It is called a "Stealth Mesh" and is made by Blackwolf. Weighs under 2kg's more like 1 and survived Phillip Islands rain without a single drop inside.

I couldn't recomend this tent enough it is warm, dry and a good size. Another good feature is when you put it up it's main structure is a mesh type material and then the outside cover goes on. In the summer you can just sleep in the mesh under the stars

Black Wolf Adventure Gear - adventure