Aerodrome/Airstrip near Hume (ACT)

BigPete

Can anyone supply some info about this strip: S35 23.820, E149 10.105. It's not listed on the airfields link and is only 5 nm south of Canberra Airport.

regards

Airstrip near Hume (ACT)

G'day BigPete

from memory I think its Tralee. I've never been in there myself. Don't quote me, but I think its roughly oriented north/south, grass and a private ALA. Not sure of the length/condition, but from memory I think an aerostar operated out of there some years ago - so I that may be an indicator. Not sure if its still in existence or use, or who owns/operates it. A call to one of the local GA operators at YSCB may be the go - try Brindabella. Failing that call CBR tower, as it would be in their airspace & they may have some details.

Cheers

Thanks guys, an old army mate of mine is retiring into Canberra and I thought it (Tralee) would be easier than Canberra Airport itself. - We will see......

regards

Guest JeffC

Tralee was once a marvellous but closely held local landing area within the Canberra CTA (note controlled airspace so PPL required). A previous owner liked aircraft, maintained the grass strip to an acceptable level and provided security.

Unfortunately (for us but no recriminations to him) he sold to a property developer who has tolerated some activity but does no maintenance the last I heard and no worthwhile security. He remains locked in dispute with the CB Airport re flight paths/ residential development/ noise etc.. Two of the few remaining aircraft (GA) were destroyed by fire in the last year by vandals.

There may still be a couple of aircraft there but not without it's risks.

The owning organisation is (was last I heard) "Village" a real estate developer run by a Mr (Bob?)Winnell. Shouldn't be hard to track down for definitive info.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Here's a golden opportunity :thumb_up: for a forward thinking body of people to exploit the fact that Canberra Airport is not a friendly 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif (GA and RAA) place. :yuk: I mean, if you could get flight paths etc sorted, I for one, would gladly pay for the use off. :big_grin:

Then again maybe thats what the developer had in mind......i_dunno

bummer! :black_eye:

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

Have been and checked Tralee air strip on the ground a year or 2 ago. All of the above rings true from what I remember being told at the time. It would seem the only opportunity for RAA aircraft would be outside Canberra Tower hours, when Canberra airspace reverts to G-Class but I think we'd all find that a bit too restrictive.

Also abserved a number of Pax Jets arriving and departing at less than 1000ft AGL only a km or 2 east of the field.