R/C Model Quicksilver

Guest Maj Millard

That is a great little model, and looks and flys like the real thing in the air, at about the same speed, all relative of course.

It looks like a copy of the original Eipper MX, which was only two axis with pitch working normally on the stick, but with the rudder operation with side stick movement, where the ailerons would normally be.

The 'rudder pedals' were simply for resting your feet on, or could be hooked to optional spoilers, which were very handy after landing in crosswind, but many flew without them. There were no ailerons on the MX.

The next model, the MXL, had a double surface wing and ailerons with normal 3 axis operation. These were quite good performers and quite a blast to fly. Your Arxx wouldn't have been more than a foot off the runway on takeoff or landing.

The MXL 2 was a 3 axis, 2 seat, side by side trainer, and is what I originally got my first UL license in, whilst in California in the 80's. I flew many rides in them and they were a lot of fun also. The MXL and MXL2 are still around and available in changed and updated versions.............................................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

That is a great little model, and looks and flys like the real thing in the air, at about the same speed, all relative of course.

I wish there was an icon for 'tongue in cheek' . I'm sure you'd have used it....wouldn't you? Nice model yes, pity we didn't see it fly.

Am I toooo picky? 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif :hittinghead: 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

Guest Maj Millard

So you think the flying footage was of the real thing ? May well have been, it sure looked real !! I don't see any reason why that model wouldn't have flown however, do you ??..other than the fact that he seemed to have the exhaust exiting foward, the original had no ailerons but a lot of dihedral, and wings level and turns were achieved by ruddering alone.................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

mmmmmm I'm not real sure?! It looks like it should fly, but the engine sound of the flying bit is a bit more ...ah... throaty! than a glow plug engine should sound like I thought.

I don't know, you do wonder though why they didn't video the take off completely...? 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Yes mate, you have to watch those videos today don't you ?............................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif