J2200 Engine advise

Guest ozzie

Adam No expert on type BUT, first thing i do whether it is an engine or airframe or even non aviation related product is to search thru the AD's (product recalls). Obviously how many of these and the type reflect on the design and material qualities. Compare the product you are considering to other comparable types. then i move into service intervals, amount of work/time involved and amount & qty of consumables. does it have to be tweeked in betwee oil changes. can the engine readily make it's TBO without 'popping a cork' along the way. and cost of overhaul that will lead you into looking at operating cost over the life of the engine. Important consideration is that does the engine suit the airframe. for example a 3300 jab was put into a Slep storch and it did not like it one bit. the airframe is too slow and it reflected this with locked up valves high oil temps ect regularly. whats the use having a aircraft that can climb at ridiculus attitudes at near walking pace if you can only do it for a couple of minutes. the other brand really made this aircraft perform like it was designed to without having to resort to complicated engineering to cool it. watch whats happening on the field by owners does xyz always seem to have the cowls off everytime you pass the hanger. who flys more compared to woring on their engine ect,then listen to what they say. some will praise their pride and joy just thru ego rather than true performance.

Ozzie

Adam. If Ozzie's reply didn't help, what are you really wanting to know? The Jabiru site will give you all the basics, otherwise just ask exactly what you want to know.

Thanks Ozzie and Yenn I should have been more specific but it was the end of a long day...

I've looked through the Jab web site and looked at all the AD's on the engine. The airframe to me is a known quantity so I'm not worry about that I'm just not that familar with the engine.

What I'd like to know is anything that people have come across in the use of the J2200, such as know faults that people keep finding. What sort of TBO people are actually getting out of them and how much was your last overhaul.

Also what sort of power setting are you using for cruise?

Hopefully that helps a litte!

Cheers

Adam

Guest Pioneer200

I was up in our club J160 today and was cruising @ 2900 rpm and getting about 103 knots indicated. The engine was purring at that setting. From what I have been told the 2200 likes being worked and not babied with.

Our maintenance man said cruising around the 3000 rpm mark is no problem at all,just remember higher fuel burn and more bumps if if it a bit turbulent!

Today was a magic day for flying here (Canterbury NZ) , air pressure 1025 air temp @ 300ft(field elevation) was about 8 degrees so great flying conditions.

Love flying the Jabiru, can't see why lots of you aussies bag them all the time.

051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

You are correct, a lot of Aussies bag the Jab engine, but I posted a question on this site a long while ago asking for info from anyone who had a problem with them. No replies to me, but there have been a couple of instances of bolts holding the crankcase together failing. We do not know what work had been done on those bolts, maybe they had been overtorqued, maybe it was a manufacturers fault, who knows?

RAAus would have a lot of info on any failures but there are very few AD's out for the engine.

I have a 2.2 in my plane with 150 hours on it and in that time it has had no mechanical problemd at all. There are 3 other Jab engined planes at our strip and I cannot recall hearing about any faults.

My personal opinion is that they are a well built, easy to install and maintain engine, with the only thing I would like to change being the ignition system. The fault if you call it that is that you need 300rpm cranking speed to get a spark, which can be hard for the small batteries we use here in Qld. A bigger battery would solve the problem, or it is possible to modify the ignition to enable starting using a coill system.

My brothers 2200 Jab engine has just had a top end overhaul after 1200 hours without any problems this is not a school plane but only used by him.

Cheers Helmut.

Guest The Bushman

Yenn

I have fitted third ignigtion from a 4 cylinder Magna or Sigma car Electronis of course

Fitted unit to left dizzy with seperate coil throught at switching unit for the spark

seperate switch so can hand start if battery low or use with main system one turn and will fire more information or have units here if needed for more information

The Bushman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Cloudsuck
YennI have fitted third ignigtion from a 4 cylinder Magna or Sigma car Electronis of course

Fitted unit to left dizzy with seperate coil throught at switching unit for the spark

seperate switch so can hand start if battery low or use with main system one turn and will fire more information or have units here if needed for more information

The Bushman

G'day Bushy, I have a mate here in Queensland who would be very keen to have a word to you about this. Have you got any photos of the Mod?