liquid cooled engines verses air cooled engines

A Friend has one of those air cooled radial engines that were from a tank... He's run it for us, and all I'll say is, I wouldn't want to be the one sitting in close confinement to it!

Can't remember what it's called!?

Guest ozzie

when i worked for GMH at pagewood years ago there was a wearhouse were the shopping center now sits that had many examples of what the factory produced during the war. there were torpedos, a small two man open sub amongst things plus engines including radials i hope this stuff was never lost when they closed the plant lots of files and drawings as well

ozzie

If you were to watch the Humphrey Bogart film "Sahara" (A war film set in the desert) you see his mate working on a tank engine and firing it up, unmistakably a radial, lying flat under the floor. I believe it was a Continental .The tank was a Sherman, Bloody tall for a tank.....

I did a lot of work on tanks and all the British tanks had water cooled engines. Mostly Meteors which were unsupercharged Merlins and gave up to 640 hp. They did use fuel injection in 1 tank and I believe it produced over 700hp.

The only radials I ever saw were in landing craft and self propelled guns and were of Yanky build. There were also some landing craft with a V8 Chev and hydramatic gearbox each side. From memory the radials were Pratt and Whitney single row 7 cylinder jobs within a heavy wire cowl for the cooling fan.

Tanks.

That is all the modern stuff Ian.Usually the modified merlin. There was even a dual knucklehead harley (coupled) produced for tanks. Don't know how they cooled that effectively. They are probably big turbo diesels now. Nobody makes BIG radials anymore. Nev

Guest Maj Millard

Back to the coolant thing...Rotax now recommends up to 50% glycol mix with DEMINERALISED water. This is the mix I have used for years with no problem. I do specifically use either Castrol or Valvolene coolant. Both these coolant brands have a special patented seal lubricant in them, unlike others. I carried a spare set of waterpump seals around for years, waiting for them to leak in the 582. (often around the 200-250 hr mark). When I sold the plane at 650hs, still had those seals in the bag on Valvolene 50/50 mix.

You need water with glycol. What glycol actually does is increase the water molocules ability to carry heat. No water, you'r wasting your time.....................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 4 months later...
Guest Crashbait

I've just posted the same query and was wondering if you were able to glean any conclusions from the replies you received. Cheers.

Engine designers put a lot of time and energy into making their engines work as designed...

Regardless of the type, if you do what the manufacturer recommends, you should have little issues with either.

The types are usually a preference thing (...unless you are using it for ground attack when air-cooled radials have the advantage of not getting bullet holes in their radiators...)

Stanzahero.